Voyager, "Iconic Havana," 6 -16 December 2018

Portolan

9 hours ago, rcandkc said:

Did you remove the glasses and such out of it to make room for your cubes?  

I guess I did rearrange the glassware,  I did find a photo that may help

cubes.jpg.1c7f39d9631883ad67ce4ade74824114.jpg

9 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Not criticizing about going off topic but wonder if Regent will even see these comments about their suites since it is buried in a Cuba thread.

We have several "cubes" and do not care for them.  They are flimsy and difficult to zip and unzip unless they are completely full.

I don't expect that Regent will necessarily notice these comments, which is why I think it is very important that people mention this in their comment cards.

As to the usefulness of the cubes, this is a matter of personal preferences, my wife swears by them and uses them for all of our vacations.  She keeps her clothes in them and puts them in the drawers that way.  I only brought them for this cruise, having been warned by CC posts about the problem.  For me, it made my life much easier in this suite.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I hope so too.  I haven't experienced this yet, but I'm worried about this for our WC two years from now, before Mariner's next dry dock.  I understand some WC'ers ask for an extra small set of drawers!

I was thinking that instead of taking up valuable floor space and depending upon the height of the bed,  why not request some empty drawers from the backup furniture/ stuff in need of repair "dept." to slide under the bed for seldom used items?

14 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

Fizzy, that is where suitcases are stored.  In my opinion, the glassware needs to be in a wall cabinet and put the drawers back in where they used to be. I did mention this on my card. 

I certainly agree that we store the cases under the bed as a rule but on longer cruises a request could be made for staff to store the luggage and open  up some valuable under the bed space for lesser used items. It could help to alleviate some of the visual clutter. Just a thought.

Personally I'd love to see the glassware move back to an upper cabinet in the corner of the suite - this is pretty much dead space anyhow and it would allow them to put some drawers back below where the glassware is now.  Also, I read that the crew was complaining about the new layout as it's much more difficult for them to restock the glassware down below like that.

I think it's kind of stupid to waste lower space on something that's used more often and to have dead space in the corners...but I'm not a designer/engineer/smart person so what do I know?

13 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Not criticizing about going off topic but wonder if Regent will even see these comments about their suites since it is buried in a Cuba thread.

We have several "cubes" and do not care for them.  They are flimsy and difficult to zip and unzip unless they are completely full.

I agree with TC.  Let's move this to a new thread!  Presumably Corporate is already planning what they will do in the next refurbs?  If not, perhaps it's too soon to start a new thread.  Anybody care to guess?  I know that Mariner's next refurb/drydock is right after our world cruise, i.e., May 2021.

Meanwhile, I was thinking of something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HGJ831/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B078HGJ831&pd_rd_w=dhfVV&pf_rd_p=21517efd-b385-405b-a405-9a37af61b5b4&pd_rd_wg=RkjXZ&pf_rd_r=MGKCZPZ207HEK4ZX9DEY&pd_rd_r=b78998dc-fef9-11e8-92bf-eb133783d970

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, Portolan said:

In general, to this point a very good, but not great cruise.

I agree with you Wendy, but we are glad we visited Cuba. I have a minor mobility issue so a walking tour was out. I do use a walker, but I was not sure of the terrain. We enjoyed seeing Andy and Tammy as they make the entertainment special. Our biggest disappointment was our suite. It was not close to the master suites we have enjoyed on Mariner and other cruise lines. More about cruise later.

25 minutes ago, JohnM65 said:

I agree with you Wendy, but we are glad we visited Cuba. I have a minor mobility issue so a walking tour was out. I do use a walker, but I was not sure of the terrain. We enjoyed seeing Andy and Tammy as they make the entertainment special. Our biggest disappointment was our suite. It was not close to the master suites we have enjoyed on Mariner and other cruise lines. More about cruise later.

Looking forward to learning more about the master suite on Mariner.  We have been in a master suite on Navigator, Voyager and Explorer but not Mariner.  Given how lovely their grand suites are, I would have thought that the master suite would be wonderful.

20 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

We have stayed in 700.  Now I'm even more anxious to learn what issues you had.

As you requested travelcat2 (i am old I forgot your name...LOL)

The Master Bedroom (MB); 2 sinks 1 open to the bedroom area next to the tub with a curtain to separate bed from tub area. The other sink in the bathroom area which had the shower, undersized commode and, bidet. The bidet was larger than the commode. If a person is over 6 feet tall knees would bump up against the shower side. Limited counter and storage area in both bathrooms. Walk in closet was adequate. At the foot of the bed, there were five sets of drawers (double stack) about 24 inches off the floor. This did make for a large shelf to store some of our items. The doors to MB were glass and somewhat difficult to open, so my wife left them open unless one of us used the sink or the second bathroom. The top of the wall in MB/living room was glass, it did not aide in helping reduce the sound into the MB.

The second bedroom was in keeping with Voyager standard of a  useless long hallway like walking into a cave. Only outside lighting came from a vertical window. The bed covered most of the bedroom area with scarcely enough room to walk around. The bathroom was the size of a single-wide trailer about the same as a bathroom in an inside cabin on larger ships. Part of the available storage space was taken up by a second (unnecessary) refrigerator. Very, very small wardrobe closet with 4 small drawers.

The living room was acceptable although the TV’s were smaller than we are used to. The living room couches had very soft cushions which made it difficult for me to get up. I normally used one of the dining room chairs.

Not to leave out the deck as it would only accommodate 3 people. The view from the deck was obscured by part of the ship’s hull.  

Our entrance door was adjacent to the crew entrance and the accompanying traffic noise.

Bottom line is the space available at this location was not appropriate for a Regent master suite and pales in comparison to the master suites on the 11th floor or other master suites we have stayed in. This Suite did not justify the price we paid.  

Edited by JohnM65
correction

Wendy, (as rcandkc, and Bill suggested (about an having an upper corner cabinet) in posts above) believe David and you will now find ample new desk/shelve space on the Mariner.  We were in a concierge suite on Mariner  in October/November (Miami to Papeete) and you can see (post refurb) the new corner cabinet that now holds the glass ware.    Please see the Mariner vitual tour link below, showing a Mariner veranda suite today, with the new corner glass ware cabinet.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=6ERrvSmEpWP

Back in Jan/Feb on board the Mariner, the desk had the same desk with glass ware, that is now found in the Voyager Veranda suites (as mentioned above).  

Edited by WesW

I went through the virtual tour of a Mariner veranda suite and did not see what the last poster was describing.  Most posters are discussing the area across from the sofa (not shown in the virtual link) where there used to be a cabinet with glasses on the top and drawers on the bottom (drawers now gone).  

The virtual tour did show the drawers in the closet which are nice but not deep enough to store much.  

The virtual tour did remind me of just how tiny the Mariner Veranda/Concierge suites really are and why Mariner is not our favorite ship (but do like upper suites on Mariner).

P.S.  Could not tell from the photos but it appears that the desk (which is in a horrible place) also does not have drawers. Not sure where you could put things in this suite.

Edited by Travelcat2

47 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I went through the virtual tour of a Mariner veranda suite and did not see what the last poster was describing.  Most posters are discussing the area across from the sofa (not shown in the virtual link) where there used to be a cabinet with glasses on the top and drawers on the bottom (drawers now gone).  

The virtual tour did show the drawers in the closet which are nice but not deep enough to store much.  

The virtual tour did remind me of just how tiny the Mariner Veranda/Concierge suites really are and why Mariner is not our favorite ship (but do like upper suites on Mariner).

P.S.  Could not tell from the photos but it appears that the desk (which is in a horrible place) also does not have drawers. Not sure where you could put things in this suite.

Jackie, you can indeed roam around the room in the virtual tour to show the area across from the sofa. See attached pic from the virtual tour showing the new area for the glassware and the drawers. Just got off the Mariner myself and the ship looks great! We sailed for 15 nights and had many storages areas in our suite we didn't use. (Guess we pack light). :)

marinersuite.jpg

Edited by vitacura
  • Like 1

vitacura - thanks for showing me that.  So, is that two drawers or three?  The bottom, since it has two knobs, kind of looks like a cabinet.  I would think that would be enough room for shorter cruises but not sure about long ones and certainly not for a world cruise.

Currently on Mariner for 36 days in a standard suite. Here are 2 pictures of the desk area showing the corner cabinet for glassware and the drawer configuration. Two drawers with a deep cabinet underneath. Found places for everything. Had requested a small dresser, which was in the suite when we boarded. We did not need it.

E8FEC781-BCA4-4D3B-AFF6-5D00C9625D30.jpeg

D05B7F85-CF97-46E8-B548-4E5F490FE6D3.jpeg

Edited by briar14
Clarification
  • Like 1