What to do at Miami airport for the day after cruise

T&J1014

Our January cruise returns to Miami 8AM Sat Jan 19, 2019.  The best flight we could get (direct) to Detroit doesn't leave until 7:35PM - all other flights were either too early(cutting too close to when the ship arrives), or super long layovers (making a 2.5 hr flight into an 8hr flight as an example).  On our previous cruise there was over an hour delay getting off the ship due to tornadoes in the area around the same time of year. Timing is off by a day as, us both being big Toronto Maple Leafs fan, are missing the Leafs playing in Miami by 1 night!!!!  If the timing was right we'd hang around and get a room and catch the game and fly back the next day..... That being said.....what is there to do in the airport for what's going to amount to probably 8 or so hours before our flight leaves?  Can we check our luggage that early at the terminal?  We don't want to be hauling our carry on(s) plus our checked bag all over the place.  Can you leave the airport at all?  Is there much to do around the airport?  I mean, finding a golf course that rents clubs would be awesome, but I am not sure what there is to do at the airport for that long.  I know we'll probably want to eat lunch. possibly dinner as well before we get on the plane.

Any suggestions?

I like getting to the airport early but you will have a lot of times on your hand.

If you do want to go there my experience is you can check in early (unlike Fort Lauderdale) but do consult with your airline.  There are lots of restaurants, and shopping etc.  If it was me and I wanted to go there I would go to the airline lounge.  However,  that is a long time?

You could go there check in (confirm with airline) and leave for a few hours.

You could look at a post ship tour.

You could look at getting a day room at a hotel.

You could look at renting a car.

Keith

If you cannot check your bags that early - some airlines will not accept them until about 4 hours prior to departure - there is luggage storage for a fee at MIA airport.  After you get ride of your bags you can catch the Airport Flyer bus (about $3 each) to South Beach, where you can enjoy a boozy lunch, people watch, walk the beach, hop-on/off bus tour, etc.

Or head straight to South Beach and pay to store your bags at the Luggage Lounge.  Enjoy your day and then head to MIA in the afternoon for your flight home.

www.resortpass.com may give you some options for hotels and resorts offering passes to use their pool, spa and beach facilities.  Tip them to store your bags.

Good luck! :classic_smile:

What airline? Some terminals are much better than others for long layover. I assume it is either American or Delta. American has a huge terminal with many places to eat, drink and shop. 

With so much time I would see if you could check your bags in, or store them and then head out to town. Dolphin Mall is very close. Or you could take an easy uber/bus/train ride to Downtown Miami/Brickell area and check out Bayside, Museum Park, Brickell CityCentre. 

1 hour ago, Flymia said:

What airline? Some terminals are much better than others for long layover. I assume it is either American or Delta. American has a huge terminal with many places to eat, drink and shop. 

With so much time I would see if you could check your bags in, or store them and then head out to town. Dolphin Mall is very close. Or you could take an easy uber/bus/train ride to Downtown Miami/Brickell area and check out Bayside, Museum Park, Brickell CityCentre. 

Yes - American Airlines.  Might be enough options to keep us busy.  I just found my only other experience at Miami airport to be so confusing with their layout - at least compared to Detroit Metro, or even Las Vegas.

I may check out the Carnival Miami South Beach post cruise excursion - it includes being dropped off back to the airport after.  8 hrs is a long time to be waiting, especially after the cruise, especially knowing the weather is likely going to be nice compared to back home.

Honestly, I'd first see if I could go ahead and check my luggage on whatever airline you are flying.  If not, take it with you.

I'd take a cab to American Social and sit outside on the Miami River and have a boozy brunch and people watch.

It's no big deal if you have to take your bags with you.  People do it everywhere.