Carnival's new ship Mardi Gras to feature roller coaster

bigcstyle4

How many times have we seen on TV where a roller coaster has stalled on one of the hills and they had to get the fire department with an aerial ladder to rescue the passengers.  Are they going to be able to do the same on a ship?  No thanks, I'll pass on that one.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Thorncroft said:

It's fine if you like amusement parks at sea. Next thing you know, they'll be adding theme and celebrity eateries, theaters and all other manner of gee whizzery. What has cruising come to? 

Indeed, where did this idea that cruising should be fun come from ?

Look but don't touch

Touch but don't use

Use but don't enjoy

Enjoy but don't show it

(Tip of hat to Infiniti - one of the best car ads I've seen in a while.)

"Speeds will be posted after completing the ride, and just like at the theme parks, cruisers will get the opportunity to purchase a photo taken during the ride."

And, just like at the theme parks, I wonder how many daring young women will raise their shirts and flash the camera? 

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t like this at all.  Personally I don’t like roller coasters but to each there own.  

However, it seems like a roller coaster would take up a lot of real estate that you could use for a lot of other things.

And is this just one more thing Carnival can make money on (photos of peoples faces on the coaster)

31 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

when the competitors came out with this stuff the Carnival faithful denounced it with statements like, "If I wanted to go on an amusement ride I'd go to six flags.

Let's see how it goes now that it is on Carnival.

Not for me but sure some will think it is brilliant😎

3 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Wondering here how long the lines will be with these two seater coasters? And how often will they be down for repairs?

Why do people keep calling a coaster? It is a motorcycle on a monorail. I don't think there will be much lost time due to repairs, as the track is relatively low technology. The motors are contained in the ride vehicle and get their power from a third rail like electric train systems. The motors are rather small and should have a very long life. What will be troublesome is the marine environment. Rust, corrosion, and wear of the friction components will cause most of the downtime. I would imagine rain and wind could cause the attraction to be shuttered on a regular basis. I am waiting to see how an evacuation is accomplished with a wobbly kneed octogenarian stuck high above the deck?  

Since this is a launched coaster, the ride vehicle should not get stuck on the track unless if power to the ride is cut off mid-launch. Even then, most coasters will rollback on the first hill should they have insufficient momentum to clear the first hill.

The only way I see it possibly getting stuck mid-ride is if someone tries to circumvent a safety feature, like taking off their seat belt or restraint - that would be governed by a sensor on the ride vehicle, causing the vehicle to disengage. It’s possible that may be set not to proceed past a certain point as opposed to immediately stopping, which means the ride could be evacuated only at certain points.

4 hours ago, Moviela said:

Why do people keep calling a coaster? It is a motorcycle on a monorail. I don't think there will be much lost time due to repairs, as the track is relatively low technology. The motors are contained in the ride vehicle and get their power from a third rail like electric train systems. The motors are rather small and should have a very long life. What will be troublesome is the marine environment. Rust, corrosion, and wear of the friction components will cause most of the downtime. I would imagine rain and wind could cause the attraction to be shuttered on a regular basis. I am waiting to see how an evacuation is accomplished with a wobbly kneed octogenarian stuck high above the deck?  

People keep calling it a coaster because that is how Carnival is describing it. Either way the ride capacity is not much and I can imagine the lines being quite long.

On 12/23/2018 at 5:23 PM, finzup-kt said:

i read that you control the speed of the coaster so it can be "fast" or leisurely as you like.. however i doubt it will be super fast thrill ride. .more of a novelty. 

Max speed is only 40 mph.  Very slow compared to the more thrilling ones that can go 100-150 mph.  Compare it to the kiddie tea cups, that actually make me feel sicker than some of the thrill rides.   😂😂😂

I have zero desire to step foot on the new Mardi Gras, what with her behemoth size and carnival rides.  My past couple of cruises have been on HAL, which suited me just fine.  My next is in a couple of weeks on Carnival Pride.  I love this size ship.  After that, I have two more HAL cruises booked.  This may be my last Carnival cruise for a while.  To each his own, right?  I just don't understand the desire to be on a floating mall at sea.  

Have fun, but count me out!  LOL