Unacceptable Wine price-hike by HAL

Despegue

On another post, the new Beverage menu was posted, and it seems that HAL has increased prices for wines in such a way, that when you have the Signature Beverage package,

your choice of wines is severely limited, and having a simple glass of sparkling wine, which should NEVER cost more than 6 USD, is even not possible anymore as the cheapest option is a Prosecco of...10 USD!

this is a price hike from 6 USD to 10USD for a simple glass of Bubbly, which SBP holders now also need to pay.

Sorry, but I find this disgusting.

I noticed on another post that the prices of all martinis in the Mix Bar are now $9.95, which also prices them out of reach of the SBP.   I sure hope this is not a trend.   Usually when HAL boosts the maximum price of the SBP (from $7 to $8, and now $9), they raise the drink prices to match.   In this case, they seem to raise the drink prices first, in the hope that this will force people to kick in the extra $5 per day (plus 15%) for the Elite Beverage package.

I remember the wine and drink prices going up and shortly after the SPB/Explore 4 limit rose from $8 to $9.

Perhaps the same will happen again?  We'll have to wait and see.

Personally, with the one decent Pinot Grigio gone from the listing that was under $9, the only thing that appealed to me anyways (liking some decent wines) was the Elite package which is what we are planning to do.  At least, so far 😉

1 minute ago, GateGuardian said:

I think it's time we take back the Cruise Critic's Best Value Cruise Line award from HAL.

HAL's drink prices still remain much better than many cruise lines. 

As do their liquor prices for in room dining.

Not being a cheerleader here, just stating a fact.

I have never found the beverage packages attractive.  Cruise pricing with such included has always been higher.  Other than at Happy Hour, I don't understand why people who enjoy a particular wine don't order a bottle and have it kept at their Bar of choice.  The price/glass is so much less.  Visit other bars during the cruise?  The bottle can be retrieved if the original bar is open.  This is even true for the MDR.

Viewing the beverage menus posted, I don't think that my preferred Canadian whisky has increased in price.

Is Happy Hour still 2 for one, I wonder.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

HAL's drink prices still remain much better than many cruise lines. 

As do their liquor prices for in room dining.

Not being a cheerleader here, just stating a fact.

This is the first time we've been on a cruise where the drinks (other than premium liquor) have not been included. We have the signature beverage package, and if a martini isn't included as part of that package, we will be very disappointed, and will probably make a complaint about it. Having already paid HAL's in room bottle price for our cruise later this week,  I think we'll stick to all-inclusive  cruise lines in the future.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

This is the first time we've been on a cruise where the drinks (other than premium liquor) have not been included. We have the signature beverage package, and if a martini isn't included as part of that package, we will be very disappointed, and will probably make a complaint about it. Having already paid HAL's in room bottle price for our cruise later this week,  I think we'll stick to all-inclusive  cruise lines in the future.

Most martinits are included and always have been 🙂  Pricing remains under the SPB level on the latest update on the live thread which I think the OP is reacting to.

There are a couple.  POA1 posted a very good link to the beverage listing on his LIVE thread as did Vict0riann - although she has a more limited list right now due to the inaugural sailing, I'm guessing 😉 

I have been watching for the new beverage choices for both price and choices 😉 

26 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Embarking on January 6th, I really hope that Villa Maria will be stocked as it has been on my previous HAL cruises.

It is according to POA1's post in his LIVE thread:

IMG_4837.JPG.9c34581bf2f262a39c5d09fe30caad2e.JPG

Just now, rkacruiser said:

Maybe I am blind, but I don't see Villa Maria listed.  It has never been part of a Beverage Package and would be surprised if it was now.  I just want it available by the bottle.

It's listed under the Elite Package.

5 hours ago, Despegue said:

On another post, the new Beverage menu was posted, and it seems that HAL has increased prices for wines in such a way, that when you have the Signature Beverage package,

your choice of wines is severely limited, and having a simple glass of sparkling wine, which should NEVER cost more than 6 USD, is even not possible anymore as the cheapest option is a Prosecco of...10 USD!

this is a price hike from 6 USD to 10USD for a simple glass of Bubbly, which SBP holders now also need to pay.

Sorry, but I find this disgusting.

I am curious as to what your specialized knowledge would be that you can determine for HAL what they should and should not charge for a given drink? Do you have some inside knowledge of their cost to provide beverages...and related revenue issues that make your reasoning based in fact? How is it that you know that it should NEVER cost more than $6?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I am curious as to what your specialized knowledge would be that you can determine for HAL what they should and should not charge for a given drink? Do you have some inside knowledge of their cost to provide beverages...and related revenue issues that make your reasoning based in fact? How is it that you know that it should NEVER cost more than $6?

👍👍👍  Spot on -  thanks for your rhetorical insights!

5 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Are you sure? I'm not doubting you, but we are on the Zuiderdam right frigging now and we can order martinis out the wazoo for less than the SBP limit. My wife had a Candy Cane Martini yesterday and it was $8.25. (We have pictures and they're on Facebook, so you know it's true.) 

The bartender had to smash little candy canes - by hand - to make the peppermint rim. FWIW, the drink was slightly sweet, not overly so, and deliciously minty. 

IMG_20181216_174909.jpg-86773701_PerfectlyClear.thumb.jpg.3b52c176a0a7c666475a828e1bf1b125.jpg

Again, this was Eight Twenty-Five. The base liquor was Absolut Vanilla. 

You can find a martini that's over limit, but it's going to be Chopin or Belvedere. All the other vodkas are under limit, including the whole Grey Goose family. It won't be gin, because they're all less than $9. 

There are some cocktails priced above $9, but they're few and far between. 

Edited by POA1

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Because the cheapest sparkling wine on anyones menu should not cost 10 Dollar unless you are scamming people. 

Sparkling wine is a basic alcoholic beverage, one of the most popular ones, and to ask a premium price for that ( yes, 10 USD is a blody premium price for a drink!) and price it so that it is not included in the Alcoholic All Inclusive package, is simply insulting.

Maybe this drink is not popular with American guests, but in Europe, a glass of bubbly is as common as a glass of beer ( that being said, asking almost 7 US USD for a Stella is also mindblowingly high)

• Like 1