Thinking of booking a Christmas or New Years cruise for next year, which is better?

kelseybren

Hi everyone!!  Just looking for some thoughts/opnions please:)  My family & I are looking at booking a cruise over the holidays next year.  We'd most likely be going with Carnival and most sailing dates are either 21st or 22nd for over Christmas or 28th or 29th for over New Years.   We live way up in snowy northwestern ontario, Canada and have always had white wintery christmas's other than one year we travelled to my sisters where it was 68 degrees farenheit, raining and yucky yellow grass, lol!!  I am just not sure if I want to be gone from other family for Christmas but yet my hubby and my son, my daughter & her boyfriend are my immediate family and I think more important to have family time with them, especially as my daughter is in college and my son will be going the year after this trip.  If we were gone over Christmas, we could always celebrate with our parents etc when we got back and if we were gone over New years, we'd be able to still be together for christmas and then leave day or two after for the new year sailings.  We also have to factor in winter weather slowing down our travel plans etc.  The thought of getting away from the hustle & bustle of everything is very tempting, but I also think celebrating a new year in caribbean is awesome too!!  

Anyway, thank you for letting me ramble, lol!!  I look forward to hearing your thoughts & or stories of why or why not to think about this.  when my hubby first brought it up the other night, I was really not sure, but after talking with my daughter, she & her boyfriend love the idea as does my son.   We actually were very close to going to Cuba for Christmas in 2013 , I had lost my 81 year old dad just a couple months prior and we were going to go with friends & their family.  The day I finally decided to go for it & book, my hubby had some major problems with his bush equipment and his two weeks off for christmas other than christmas day was spent repairing his machine.  So now I kind of think maybe we should just go for it and make amazing memories with our family:)  

Kathy

If  you do decide to go...  fly in a day or more early  in case of  weather delays

buy insurance  that will cover you should  you miss the cruise due to winter flight delays

You never know  when it will be  a white or green Christmas 😉

I love to get away but always  nervous until  the plane actually takes off

Oh yes, we would definately go in at least the day before.  We have always done that.  We are right between Winnipeg & Thunder Bay, so always have to drive 4 hours either way to a decent airport.   I have a friend who did a New Years cruise many years ago and  she ended up missing all the festivities.  They flew out of Winnipeg and Winnipeg got one of the worst snow storms that day.  She missed her connection in Minneapolis and totally missed boarding the ship.  She had booked her tickets through RCCL, so they flew her & her friend to the next port but was very sad that they missed new years eve.  

I would probably opt for New Years vs. Christmas too.  I think more people ask for time off at Christmas, so if you are willing to work the Christmas short fall it may be easier to get time off at New Years.  I love Christmas Eve candlelight services at church too, and all things being equal wouldn't want to miss it.

Have a great trip whatever you decide.  I suspect we are only a few years away from doing something similar 🙂 

• Like 1

We've done both.

When we traveled over Christmas (NCL Epic), we enjoyed family celebrations before/after.  Since our kids are grown, and there are no grandchildren yet, we didn't feel obligated to host a Christmas Eve/Morning/Day meal or event.   In fact, we didn't even put up a tree that year, and our kids celebrated with their 'in-laws' with no guilt.

There were a LOT of extended families on board.  They gathered for gift exchanges and photos all over the ship, frequently in coordinated PJs.  These large groups dominated the specialty dining rooms, limited-seating shows, and gathering areas, sometimes making it more difficult for others to be accommodated.  But, I see the benefits -- I sure don't have space to host a big group, with all the cooking and dishwashing!

Over New Years (Princess), the crew was taking down holiday decorations and was mostly done with the canned holiday music.  (Yay!)  The midnight celebration in the atrium seemed just like any other formal-night balloon drop, and ultimately it felt like any other winter cruise.

For us, it came down to the obligation (real or self-imposed) to celebrate Christmas 'on' Christmas, rather than on another day in December.

• Like 1

I've been on three longer Christmas/New Years cruises (RCCL, HAL, Cunard).  I definitely vote for New Years.  We saw people carrying on small trees, tons of presents.  Decorations on doors were torn down by other peoples children.  Xmas carols, and the Captain read the night before Xmas for the Xmas eve entertainment.  I am not Christian, but I think Xmas should be a family time.

New Years is meant to celebrate with thousands of people and that is what you get on a cruise ship.  It is the closest thing to times square without being in the cold for hours in times square.  Plus you pay a lot to celebrate New Years at home, so if you are someone who likes to go out for dinner and dancing on New Years, that pays for that day on the cruise.

RCCL did a much better job of both Xmas and New Years than the other 2 lines.

• Like 1

If you can manage the days, both Christmas and New Years in one trip is really nice. QM2 out of New York from December 22 through January 3 is a regular thing; this year Royal Caribbean has a 12-night cruise out of Baltimore on those dates as well (I don't think it's on the schedule for 2019).

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!!!!  Yes definately leaning to New Years for sure.  It will be a great way to unwind after the holidays and also good for my daughter to have a good break before 2nd college semester begins after we'd get back.  My son who will be 18 @ time of sailing is a little bit worried that he won't find people to hang out with as he'll be too old for teen clubs but I know my daughter & her boyfriend will include him lots and he'll hopefully meet other young adults on the ship.   My daughter's boyfriend has hardly travelled at all, so he is very excited lol, and plans to let his boss know soon his approximate time off requirements as soon as he goes back to work in the new year.  We're going to spend part of the week that they're home for Christmas, looking at itineraries, etc.  Seems like a long way away, but I'm a bit of a planner & the sooner we make plans, the sooner we can start counting down:)  

OP booked New Years but for others I just want to add that if you have a port day on Xmas day, it is the one day of the year when almost everything is closed.  So check the port dates before you book.

We have actually now decided to do Christmas instead of New Years. I will be honest, it will feel different but I’m also kind of excited. As i hustle around today picking up last minute dinner things & fight traffic etc, if is enticing to spend it on a beach next year:) 

We mostly sailed NYE, but a few years ago we did a 2 week that had both Christmas and New Years.  My vote goes to NYE.  The ship is still beautifully decorated when you board for a NY cruise.  Everyone is very festive and there is a huge NYE party on the ship.  

Honestly either one is wonderful but  be warned of sticker shock for either week..

enjoy

M

edit - sorry, just saw your decision.  Have a fun trip.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1