Norway Fjord Cruise Q&A - Keys to Successful Planning

hallasm

16 hours ago, Kidminder said:

We were hiding from the weather in Stavanger and being given 12 hour slots for possible continuation of our itinerary so we booked online for the mornings trip - e-ticket on phone - great time in spite of rain.....

Thank you the weather looks great for next week but I not sure how my back will be yet.  Fingers crossed there will be room if we decide to book last minute. 

WIth the way the focus of banks have shifted here with everything being done online and only "financial advisors" in the actual bank, a bank would anyhow almost be the last place I would try. My best bet would be the coin roll dispenser, but if that doesn't accept your 1000nok bill I would simply try to buy something at a convenience store and use the 1000nok bill to pay. They'll probably ask you if you got a smaller bill since almost nobody uses cash and that would dig heavily into their "change reserve" for the day, but just be apologetic and say that that's unfortunately the only denomination you got when you bought currency. After that use one of the smaller bills you get as change at the coin roll dispenser. (Smallest bill available in Norway would be 50nok, coins from 20nok and downwards)

So much information on this thread, I would like to thank everyone who has contributed.  I will be back with some questions once I figure out what is important to us on our first cruise/trip to Norway.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JaniceB said:

So much information on this thread, I would like to thank everyone who has contributed.  I will be back with some questions once I figure out what is important to us on our first cruise/trip to Norway.

Always remember that nature is truly the STAR of the show in Norway!

So get out and see the wonders Norway offers on excursions or go exploring independently on your own. 

Let experiences be your souvenirs

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Granny27 said:

In the Bergen airport, or near the ship, is there a bank or other place where I can "break" a large NOK bill for small more useable bills. We arrive on a Saturday about five in the afternoon.

I would do this at a supermarket. There a number in the center of Bergen, and they will be open at that time. They tend to deal with more cash on hand than many other kinds of shops and should have enough to break a 1000 note without too much annoyance. Find a nearby supermarket, buy a few snacks, and get change.

In some ways, supermarkets have take. Over a bit of the cash operations since the reduction/elimination of cash at physical bank branches. Getting cash back along with debit card purchases at the supermarket is a common local practice, and some local online-only banks actually prefer it to ATMs, since the fees and surcharges are lower.

Thank you for this suggestion. I was wondering about a grocery store but did not know if there was one near to where the ship docks. We have a cruise line shuttle from the airport directly to the ship, so no opportunity for a side trip on the way.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:15 PM, tommui987 said:

One of our stops will be in Eidfjord/Hardangerfjord.

My (adult) son would probably be interested in hiking to see the Voringsfossen Waterfall. As I have physical problems in walking, I would probably be better off at the Nature Center!

How would one get to either site?

Nature Center is 4 miles and the Waterfall is 12 miles from Eidfjord (same direction) - three options - either a tour, by taxi of rent a car.

You can find more information at https://en.hardangerfjord.com/eidfjord/cruise

You can also contact turistinfo@visiteidfjord.no or post@cruise-norway.no

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 10:15 PM, tommui987 said:

One of our stops will be in Eidfjord/Hardangerfjord.

My (adult) son would probably be interested in hiking to see the Voringsfossen Waterfall. As I have physical problems in walking, I would probably be better off at the Nature Center!

How would one get to either site? 

Also see this topic on Vøringfossen

On 7/11/2019 at 2:10 AM, tyrole said:

That’s fantastic, thank you 

looks like the weather is going to be kind next week 👍

The day we took our Lysefjord cruise with Rodne was the only time we had significant rain during our cruise:).  It really only rained around the time we hit Pulpit Rock and then cleared up for the rest of the day.  We still enjoyed the cruise, felt it was worth our time and money even though Pulpit Rock was in the clouds, and would do it again without hesitation.  The Stavanger Archipelago is quite beautiful.  Stavanger is the perfect port, in my opinion.

Edited by syesmar

5 hours ago, tommui987 said:

Sent a message to the e-car place. Sounds like our best bet!

You might also consider to contact gomore.no as @Ine used - see the topic link in post #267

12 minutes ago, hallasm said:

You might also consider to contact gomore.no as @Ine used - see the topic link in post #267

Indeed we loved our small rentalcar through gomore.no Private car delivered by the owner at the pier. It made our day.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:41 AM, Sallyandtex said:

Does anyone know which cruise lines mighthave kettles in the cabins?

On my cruise last month on Sapphire Princess (Princess Cruises) we had a kettle and tea and coffee making facilities in our cabin. It was great to be able to make ourselves a cup of tea or coffee whenever we wanted. I think Princess only has kettles in cabins on cruises leaving out of Southampton.

IMG20190621140547.thumb.jpg.ef1b239b7204addcfa6f94c2a78bcd88.jpg

Edited by PurpleTraveller

2 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

On my cruise last month on Sapphire Princess (Princess Cruises) we had a kettle and tea and coffee making facilities in our cabin. It was great to be able to make ourselves a cup of tea or coffee whenever we wanted. I think Princess only has kettles in cabins on cruises leaving out of Southampton.

Fabulous thank you

9 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

We commented that this must just be from Southampton as we have never had kettles before on our Alaskan or Med cruises.  Maybe just aimed at us Brits who need our cuppa before we function!

19 hours ago, Meggysmum said:

We commented that this must just be from Southampton as we have never had kettles before on our Alaskan or Med cruises.  Maybe just aimed at us Brits who need our cuppa before we function!

One thing we Aussies definitely inherited from the Brits!

Would a B2B 14 plus 16 night Norway then Baltic be too much?

Some great packages lately for 2020.

Looking at Princess ( Island) or NCL balcony entry grade. I wonder which of these cabins more space and whch works better for shore tours and tenders?

I have been trying to research the cabin sizes but they vary.

9 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

Would a B2B 14 plus 16 night Norway then Baltic be too much?

I don’t think so.  My first cruise to those regions was a 12 Baltic + 10 Northern Europe and we fell in love with the regions, especially  Norway.  If you have the time, the more the merrier!

Edited by syesmar

What a lovely idea as it will help first time cruisers looking for the best experience at the Fjords. I would like to know the best and nicest cruise ship for this area and the best time when seas are calmer for this area please xx