Viking Sun World Cruise 2019

premaasi

Thank you all so much for your stories, photos, and inquiring posts with responses.  I am truly enjoying all segments of this World Cruise.  Very interested in the BA to Santiago segment and would to hear more about the different excursions you took.  You are all so lucky to join a Viking ship on their first rounding of Cape Horn.  More firsts to come also.  Again thanks.  We armchair sailors are truly blessed whenever you take the time share your adventures.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 1:41 PM, TayanaLorna said:

Thank you all so much for your stories, photos, and inquiring posts with responses.  I am truly enjoying all segments of this World Cruise.  Very interested in the BA to Santiago segment and would to hear more about the different excursions you took.  You are all so lucky to join a Viking ship on their first rounding of Cape Horn.  More firsts to come also.  Again thanks.  We armchair sailors are truly blessed whenever you take the time share your adventures.

We are also quite interested in Buenos Aires to Santiago, as we are taking that itinerary in December.

I have been following your SUN's progress each day on the Marine Traffic web site.  Looks fascinating as you travel through the various straights and fjords.

Since you are all explorers and first "Vikings" to go around the Horn, we'd would be very interested in your thoughts on the Viking tours and also any non-Viking tours/excursions from BA to Santiago.

On 2/2/2019 at 12:19 PM, Little Monty said:

Thank you Segmentersfloatttheboat from me as well. 

We are doing BA - Santiago next year and your reports are really helpful / interesting / enjoyable to read. 

Another thank you Segmentersfloatttheboat !  Love your reports and pictures - and love your moniker, given all the posts on "Segmenters"!   

We are taking the South America Chilean Fjords cruise next December and enjoy learning about the different ports, as well as your experiences sailing through the various straights and fjords!  Keep it going!  We have 10 months to go, but it helps us live vicariously in the meantime!  What a great trip you are on.

🙂

Hello to All Viking Sun Cruise Mates.

My wife and I will be joing the WC in Sydney and continue to London for a total of 56 nights. We look forward to meeting you all. This will be our 5 and 6th cruise on Viking and 40 plus cruises across the cruise industry. I was also sad to see most of the shore excursions in Africa have already been sold out. Thus looking to book private excursion for Safari. I have submitte inquiries to a number of companies.  Currently on MSC Seaside in Caribbean for back to back at the Yacht Club level. We wanted to get a feel for the new mega ships as it has been awhile since we have been on one. See you in Sydney soon. Arriving 12 Mar 2019. 

2 hours ago, lanememory said:

Hello to All Viking Sun Cruise Mates.

My wife and I will be joing the WC in Sydney and continue to London for a total of 56 nights. We look forward to meeting you all. This will be our 5 and 6th cruise on Viking and 40 plus cruises across the cruise industry. I was also sad to see most of the shore excursions in Africa have already been sold out. Thus looking to book private excursion for Safari. I have submitte inquiries to a number of companies.  Currently on MSC Seaside in Caribbean for back to back at the Yacht Club level. We wanted to get a feel for the new mega ships as it has been awhile since we have been on one. See you in Sydney soon. Arriving 12 Mar 2019. 

Suggest checking out Pembury Tours, who we used in 2015. For a safari, we used one of the private lodges adjacent to Kruger NP - Arathusa Lodge. Spectacular safari.

First bad sea day on 3 March.  Reduced speed to 6 knots with wind gusts to 60.  Delayed crossing of International Dateline which is not at 180 in this part of the world.  Announcement by Captain explaining weather pattern and expected return to normal, along with a caution to use hand rails.  One person was injured with a finger caught is a closing door.  We saw another taken to the Med Center after a fall, but everyone seems to be handling it well.  Today, 4 March, seas are still filled with swells and there is an occasional dip or a roll.  Pools and outside decks are opened, my gauge for the severity of ocean conditions.  Finally crossed the dateline, have yet to make 180.  

Cool Cruiser, thank you for that info on Pembury. I was also disappointed to see just about all the safari sold out and most of the offerings on Viking now the mickey mouse 2.5 hr walking or little bus trip but nothing of substanstial value. It looks like the more awards their winning the more change and not necessarily for the better. But I am trying to be positive. We started early on when Viking first started the ocean division. Some of the quotes I am getting for safari are unbelievably high. 

5 hours ago, lanememory said:

Cool Cruiser, thank you for that info on Pembury. I was also disappointed to see just about all the safari sold out and most of the offerings on Viking now the mickey mouse 2.5 hr walking or little bus trip but nothing of substanstial value. It looks like the more awards their winning the more change and not necessarily for the better. But I am trying to be positive. We started early on when Viking first started the ocean division. Some of the quotes I am getting for safari are unbelievably high. 

We are disembarking in Durban, and flying up to Hoedspruit.  We plan to stay at the Vuyani Safari Lodge near Kruger for 6 days.  This is all inclusive, and includes 2 treks a day.  My nephew stayed there and loved it.  Quite a good value for the money.  They will get us back to Johannesburg to fly home from there.  Before Hoedspruit we plan a 2 day stay in Cape Town and another 2 days up in the Winelands.  See you all in Sydney next week.

Mike and Betsy Ryan (Rockyweim)

Palm Coast Florida, USA

Mike & Betsy

That is actually what we wanted to do, 6 days in Kruger. As it turns out with back to back unable to. I tried to plan on disembarking in Maputo, drive 400km to a lodge and then fly to Victoria Falls, then meet the ship in either Durban or East london. Big money, then I would miss 4 days of the cruise making even more expensive. And, what if something happened and could not meet the ship...a ittle to much moving around in that short of time.  We just got off a 14 night Miami to Miami MSC seaside Yacht Club level. 

8 hours ago, lanememory said:

Our Pembury Tour certainly wasn't cheap, but note during the design phase they provided at least 2 options for level of accommodation and tours and we generally opted for quality accommodations.

If you want to check out the private game reserves adjacent to Kruger, you can check out my blog posts and photos. We also did Victoria Falls after the safari.

https://andyandjudi.com/2015/04/

Hope you can get something booked, as the safaris were spectacular and even better than we previously experienced in Kenya & Tanzania.

Hello! We are excited as we get closer to joining you in Durban! One question, that I hope you haven't answered from personal experience: How are the medical facilities on board? Is there a physician on staff? My doctor asked me this yesterday. Also, for those of you just doing day tours in Namibia or Senegal, are you getting the malaria pills? Thanks for any input you may have.  Carol