Viking Sun World Cruise 2019

premaasi

2 hours ago, jtslattery said:

Jackets for Dinner?

Joining in Valpo - Are most of the Men wearing jackets in MDR and Spec Dining?

My hus and has never worn a jacket in either the MDR or specialty restaurants.  Not that you can’t as I have seen men wearing them ,but it is not a requirement.

We too are sailing from Valparasio ; just about 2 weeks to go as we are flying out on the 10th 😁

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mrtxcruisers said:

Incredible that so many single segment passengers have no idea they are joining a WC...

2018 WC was sold out without a need to sell segments. This season less than 1/2 passengers are on for the full cruise. It already appears Viking is challenged to provide for the different populations (WC vice segmenters)

We've seen this as a one time experience and it's a bit deflating that Viking's focus is blurred and will be 3 more times from here to London.

It's humorous that late arrivals complain of lack of access to excursions, dining, etc. yet they have no idea they're arriving late to the party. Again, I wonder why they don't have the info, or perhaps, don't remember. 

Viking has work to do. 2018 WC, sold out. 2019 ~ 50%. Not a good trend and the 2020 is even more unclear. 

Not sure what you're trying to say here, about full WCers versus segmenters?  Should they be treated differently?  How is Viking's focus blurred?  By having segmenters arriving and departing?  

It's completely normal to have a mix on these trips, and quite an aberration to have an entire ship going the whole trip.  I would state that people who book such a segment know darned well how much money they have to spend, and how much vacation time to spend it.  Not everybody can possibly afford a WC in terms of money or time.

I myself have been a segmenter on Grand Voyages and been quite happy.  And I would expect Viking to treat all these people well, including making sure they could get excursions booked when they're on the last segment--why is it humorous that they can't?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Not sure what you're trying to say here, about full WCers versus segmenters?  Should they be treated differently?  How is Viking's focus blurred?  By having segmenters arriving and departing?  

It's completely normal to have a mix on these trips, and quite an aberration to have an entire ship going the whole trip.  I would state that people who book such a segment know darned well how much money they have to spend, and how much vacation time to spend it.  Not everybody can possibly afford a WC in terms of money or time.

I myself have been a segmenter on Grand Voyages and been quite happy.  And I would expect Viking to treat all these people well, including making sure they could get excursions booked when they're on the last segment--why is it humorous that they can't?

We are booked on the last segment, Durban to London.   We had asked Viking way back if the WC would ever be split into segments and were told it was doubtful.  Several months later our Viking rep called us and said that there was going to be segments so we quickly booked the one we wanted.

It has nothing to do with cost , we have visited most of the other countries that the WC is visiting and we really wanted to go to South Africa.  

We booked our shore excursions this morning and only one was sold out so we are happy and looking forward to a great cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pask said:

We are booked on the last segment, Durban to London.   We had asked Viking way back if the WC would ever be split into segments and were told it was doubtful.  Several months later our Viking rep called us and said that there was going to be segments so we quickly booked the one we wanted.

It has nothing to do with cost , we have visited most of the other countries that the WC is visiting and we really wanted to go to South Africa.  

We booked our shore excursions this morning and only one was sold out so we are happy and looking forward to a great cruise.

I'm glad to hear that, hope you have a great cruise.

I wasn't implying that the only reason someone wouldn't do the full world cruise was that they couldn't afford it.  Obviously there's many reasons.  I was just commenting on the implication that segmenters were somehow second class citizens.  Sounds in general like this is not true.  

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 8:47 PM, mrtxcruisers said:

Incredible that so many single segment passengers have no idea they are joining a WC or that other segments are available. Were any segment 1 guests invited to extend?

After the way Viking treated us and our travel agent, I suggest Viking needs travel agents more than they know. Agents are selling single segments without knowledge or effort to add on.

2018 WC was sold out without a need to sell segments. This season less than 1/2 passengers are on for the full cruise. It already appears Viking is challenged to provide for the different populations (WC vice segmenters)

We've seen this as a one time experience and it's a bit deflating that Viking's focus is blurred and will be 3 more times from here to London.

It's humorous that late arrivals complain of lack of access to excursions, dining, etc. yet they have no idea they're arriving late to the party. Again, I wonder why they don't have the info, or perhaps, don't remember. 

Viking has work to do. 2018 WC, sold out. 2019 ~ 50%. Not a good trend and the 2020 is even more unclear. 

mrtxcruisers,

I, also, wonder what it is you are trying to get at with this post. It does seem to be a pretty clear put-down of those of us travelling for a segment of your world cruise, and of Viking for having us.

Last October we booked - directly with Viking - a 28 day trip called "Along Africa's Western Shores." Viking absolutely did not tell us that this was part of a longer trip nor did they attempt to sell us the prior segment. We learned about the longer cruise when I went to Cruise Critic searching for a board. It is unfortunate that you feel  "Viking's focus [on you] is blurred" because of us "segment passengers" so many of whom "have no idea they are joining a WC..."

You seem to find it humorous that we are arriving late to your party of which we had no knowledge and to which we were not sooner included. You imply that the lack of access to excursions or dining, therefore, is simply our own fault. We can only hope that this is not the prevalent attitude among your fellow cruisers, as we have so looked forward to our 28 days on the Sun.

Carol

• Like 1

Carol:

We were on last year's WC and on this one.  There is even more "energy" this year because of the passenger exchanges at the segment points.  The shows, lectures  and port calls are packed.  Everyone very friendly IMHO.

You are very welcome aboard this cruise for however long you can stay.

Bruce and Lorraine H.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Redwarrior68 said:

Carol:

We were on last year's WC and on this one.  There is even more "energy" this year because of the passenger exchanges at the segment points.  The shows, lectures  and port calls are packed.  Everyone very friendly IMHO.

You are very welcome aboard this cruise for however long you can stay.

Bruce and Lorraine H.

Thank you, Bruce and Lorraine, fellow New Hampshirites.  Carol

Well I suppose there's one in every bar, but we left in Buenos Aires (had a blast in BA on our post-stay,  btw), but we didn't notice a bit of animosity onboard for out (relatively) short stay. In fact, we bonded well with a few couples who are sailing on and we miss them! Nice to be home, though - that's what keeps us at the 21-30 day limit.

13 minutes ago, loge23 said:

Well I suppose there's one in every bar, but we left in Buenos Aires (had a blast in BA on our post-stay,  btw), but we didn't notice a bit of animosity onboard for out (relatively) short stay. In fact, we bonded well with a few couples who are sailing on and we miss them! Nice to be home, though - that's what keeps us at the 21-30 day limit.

Thank you for the reassurance. I'm glad to hear you had a good trip.  Carol

Perhaps humorous was not the best word, rather, I found it a bit odd that Viking was unclear in their marketing of the segments. I see it as another characteristic of their growth as new to the ocean and even newer at WC. This also contributes to travel agents being kept in the dark. It's also enlightening that when another post makes it sound like Viking overestimated their success in selling this second WC which left half the capacity open until they saw the need to sell segments.

It's a bit like adding 10K runners in a marathon without telling them that they'd be intermixed with 470 who would be on a different pace. The WC FB page already reflects a disturbing posting rooted in such a misunderstanding.

We enjoy meeting and interacting with others of all durations. both staff and passengers. Heck, even the Captain gets off after segment 3, though he said he'll meet us on the pier in Greenwich.

OK first post, usually the DW posts on here and I am merely a “lurker” but I felt it was time to take up the mantle so to speak.

We booked this cruise several months ago, knowing full well it was offered as a segment of the world cruise, and clearly Viking made the business decision to offer segments as the world cruise as a whole was not selling as expected.  We made the booking direct with Viking and there was never any question of not knowing this cruise was part of the world cruise.  This gave us, and many others we are sure (414 embarked in Buenos Aires, over 40 are doing the 2 segments from Miami to Valparaiso, 410 are disembarking in Valparaiso and 345 boarding in Valparaiso, some are doing 2 segments from BA to Sydney), the opportunity to enjoy a sailing which we had often spoken about and wished to do. In our case we transferred our booking from another Viking cruise to take this one.  We did wonder how we would feel “joining in” as it were on only one segment of this world cruise.  Well, we need not have worried and we certainly did not feel we “were late to the party” and certainly the marathon days of most have been left behind many years ago!  We would not do a full WC due to having animals at home.

We had to wait until our time to book excursions but we got everything we wanted, including the “included” excursions.  Making reservations for the alternative dining venues - they are not called “speciality” as many refer to them, but “alternative” - the “Hagen view” is why would any dining venue be more special than the other!  A typical Norwegian approach and one which we like.  Everyone is treated the same around the ship and being returning Viking guests, we have been warmly welcomed back by officers and crew whom we have met on prior voyages.  With regard to Manfredi’s and Chefs table, there seems to be ample opportunity to book extra reservations and if you book a couple of days out, most times seem to be available and tables for 2,4 or 6.

We have been warmly welcomed by WC guests and only had one slightly disgruntled comment made, not at the segmenters joining but at the chanegover of some of the crew after one segment.  The guests remarked and I quote “we’re quite put out at having to get to know the names of the crew all over again”!  It is a hard life.  Some have said already they love the change and the different energies brought to the party!  Not that there is much partying going on!  Quite an older crowd - if you are in your 60’s, or even early 70’s, you will definitely bring the average age down considerably.  But that is to be expected on a world cruise.  Anyway, age is just a number but some on here would do well to really adjust their expectations for tours etc.

Wendy, you asked about sea day activities - well the usual stuff: trivia once a day, lectures 3 or 4 a day, “learn to knit” and a knitting group, bridge, crafting group, movie in the afternoon, live music around the ship - currently listening to the guitarist in the Explorer’s Lounge.  There are lots of lovely spots to sit on this ship and read (and lots of very good book choices not just the dog-eared leftovers from past guests) or simply just stare out to sea and daydream and wonder where your next morsel of deliciousness is going to come from!

Today is an interesting day, we have winds of 40 knots and the ship is bouncing around a tad, most outside decks are closed. We are having an unplanned sea day as we had to leave the Falklands yesterday evening due to the weather forecast of these strong winds which would have made tender operations impossible today at Stanley.  Captain Lars Kjeldsen came on around 8pm to announce that we would be leaving as soon as the last guests had returned to the ship but it was not long after that that we left. So disappointing, however, we left the Falklands with a beautiful sunset and we totally understand and appreciate Captain Lars’ decision.  We went ashore yesterday and enjoyed looking around Stanley and as Brits it was rather a poignant visit. We had planned to do another excursion today.  Some folk didn’t go ashore yesterday, so they really lost out.  Captain Lars made special mention and praised the tender crew for their efforts yesterday as although it seemed a wee bit rocky to us, their skill kept it from being a much less pleasant tender ride.  We will arrive in Ushuaia 12noon tomorrow and have an overnight there.  We have been told the sail in will be spectacular so looking forward to that.

The food and choice of food remains excellent and we are spoilt for choice.

A couple of slight irritations, people are reserving the loungers on the pool deck - the ones facing out to sea - and not returning for ages (to us this is just plain selfish) and why do grown ups think it is acceptable to put their feet up (with shoes on) on coffee tables - where people then place their drinks and food - and on the beautiful leather and fabric sofas?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2019 at 9:11 AM, Redwarrior68 said:

Agree with SantaFe1.  So far, a piece of cake.  The ship cleared Brazil health inspection in 4 minutes.  MSC ship took 4 hours.  Last year we did have face to face clearances but even then, they had multiple entry points.

So does Viking still have your passports?  Used for clearing back into Uruguay, then the Falklands and now heading back to Argentina?

Thank you, Segmentersfloattheboat for your lovely review. We are greatly reassured. It is regrettable that you missed a day in Stanley, but you were fortunate to have the one. We experienced a very "exciting" tender ride a year ago. Enjoy Ushuaia; it was one of our favorite stops between BA and Valpairaiso. The "drive to the end of the world" was stunning and we especially loved that the ship docked right in town, allowing plenty of time for independent exploration. And the Patagonian coast of Chile - oh my! 

Commenting on segmentersfloattheboat post.  Very thoughtful BTW.  I was watching the weather and wondering if the stop in Falkland was made at all.  Glad you had a day at least.  An overnight in Ushuaia should be nice.  Did anyone do the Volunteer Point excursion?  With Viking or private?  How was it?

25 minutes ago, 2rinnh said:

Thank you, Segmentersfloattheboat for your lovely review. We are greatly reassured. It is regrettable that you missed a day in Stanley, but you were fortunate to have the one. We experienced a very "exciting" tender ride a year ago. Enjoy Ushuaia; it was one of our favorite stops between BA and Valpairaiso. The "drive to the end of the world" was stunning and we especially loved that the ship docked right in town, allowing plenty of time for independent exploration. And the Patagonian coast of Chile - oh my! 

You visited Ushuaia before!  On Viking Jupiter January 2020 but schedule is 11 am to 6 pm in Ushuaia only.  Can you suggest the best use of our limited time?  Many thanks.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

You visited Ushuaia before!  On Viking Jupiter January 2020 but schedule is 11 am to 6 pm in Ushuaia only.  Can you suggest the best use of our limited time?  Many thanks.

Hmm... I am torn between suggesting the trip to Tierra del Fuego National Park - "the end of the world" or just exploring the town. Perhaps you could arrange an early tour to the park and then be dropped in town for a couple of hours? If it came down to it, I guess I would choose the park. It is stunning. Here is a tease.

331.JPG