RC to MSC what am I missing?

Beachin2

We have cruised extensively with RC (D+) with a couple on Carnival & NCL too.  Am looking at the 10/5-19/19 Seaside sailing in a Yacht Club YC1 deluxe suite.  Looks like recent reviews show the ship on the upswing service and quality wise, but know that can certainly change in 10 months. . 

Pricing is certainly outstanding, with this 2 week cruise very close in $ to 1 week in a full suite on Royal, but the perk inclusions on MSC (drinks, wifi, etc.) are also much better.

Have been to the ports multiple times, so for us the ship IS the destination for us.

What am I missing before pulling the trigger?

We are also D+ on Royal.  We tried the Yacht Club on Divina several years ago; returned from that cruise, cancelled the four we had booked on Royal and booked four more in the Yacht Club.  We have done several others since, including on Seaside, have four more booked now.  We haven't cruised with Royal since; in our opinion, the Yacht Club experience, staff, and amenities far outclass what we experienced on Royal.

I highly recommend you give it a try!

We just returned from 21 days on the Divina in the YC and loved the experience.  Before we departed the Divina we made sure to book another cruise in the YC in the same exact cabin.  But here is my caution.  The YC1 Suites are very nice cabins, but not what we would categorize as a suite.  They are closer to what cruisers might call a Deluxe Balcony Cabin.  The cabins are slightly over 200 Square Feet with a small balcony.  The bathroom has a full size shower/tub and slightly larger then bathrooms on many ships.   We see the YC as a trade-off when compared to larger "suites" on other lines.  While the cabin might be a slight step down, the YC Experience is amazing.  Service for us, within the YC, was near perfection :).  However, once you leave the exclusive YC area and move about the rest of the ship you will be in a different world...which we would rate akin to Carnival.  In the YC we never waited more then 30 seconds for service while we were in the Top Sail Lounge.  The "One" pool deck was nearly as flawless.  But outside the YC we once sat in a lounge (listening to a fantastic rock duo) for over 2 hours without a waiter ever taking an order from us or others in our section.  Yes, there were 4 waiters in that bar, but they did not seem motivated to actually work.  The good thing is that the bartenders were great so all was fine for those willing to go to the bar and get their own drinks.  We actually called the YC Experience the "Tale of Two Ships."   The Yacht Club and the non-Yacht Club.  When we got tired of the "rest of the ship" we could simply return to the refuge of the Yacht Club.

Hank

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Beachin2 said:

We have cruised extensively with RC (D+) with a couple on Carnival & NCL too.  Am looking at the 10/5-19/19 Seaside sailing in a Yacht Club YC1 deluxe suite.  Looks like recent reviews show the ship on the upswing service and quality wise, but know that can certainly change in 10 months. . 

Pricing is certainly outstanding, with this 2 week cruise very close in $ to 1 week in a full suite on Royal, but the perk inclusions on MSC (drinks, wifi, etc.) are also much better.

Have been to the ports multiple times, so for us the ship IS the destination for us.

We just booked this exact cruise in the Yacht Club Deluxe Suite. We are also going for the ship life as we've been to all these ports many times.

We used to do a lot of Celebrity, this pricing is less than you would pay in a Sky Suite (entry level) on Celebrity, for one week.

If you noticed the 14 day cruise after this one is well over $1,000 p.p. more.

13 hours ago, Beachin2 said:

You are missing nothing, especially as you plan YC as your destination....you will not be disappointed. We did Ovation of Seas in a Royal Family Suite....whilst the suite was magnificent, the only other thing that came close was Coastal Kitchen with YC restaurant only slightly better than that. Everything else YC is better!

For those that choose to stay aboard for part or most of a port day, the YC offers something not seen on other cruise lines.  The restaurant dedicated to the YC (Le Muse) is open for lunch on port days!  We really loved this sit-down lunch service, and since there were seldom more then a few passengers at lunch, the service and food prep was among the best we have experienced on any ship.  Whatever you order at lunch is going to be prepared to order (in Le Muse's own galley) by the dedicated galley staff.  Experiencing perfectly prepared fresh pasta, served piping hot, is a nice way to enjoy one's lunch.  At one of our port day lunches we had Veal Saltimbocca which was truly amazing and could have been served in any Michelin starred restaurant.  And it is the same on the YC dedicated sun deck (the "One Pool") where a chef awaits to custom prepare your pasta and waiters quickly bring your beverage of choice.  One can quickly get spoiled.

Hank

You guys nudged us over the edge.  Booked one of the last 2 YC1 cabins for that sailing.  Will be cancelling our existing RC B2B bookings for that month (fully refundable).

Just finished the on-line "paperwork" for the status match to RC.  From what I've read RC D+ should match to MSC Black?

55 minutes ago, Beachin2 said:

You guys nudged us over the edge.  Booked one of the last 2 YC1 cabins for that sailing.  Will be cancelling our existing RC B2B bookings for that month (fully refundable).

Just finished the on-line "paperwork" for the status match to RC.  From what I've read RC D+ should match to MSC Black?

You will love it and yes, D+ will status match to MSC's Black Card.

35 minutes ago, sptrout said:

You will love it and yes, D+ will status match to MSC's Black Card.

Actually it doesn’t from what I’ve experienced.  I’m straight Diamond and matched to Gold, and I’m hearing MSC only matches Pinnacle to Black now.

3 hours ago, Beachin2 said:

The website shows one on deck 16 and five on deck 18 left. Maybe it hasn’t updated yet.

5 hours ago, Quinlan00 said:

Actually it doesn’t from what I’ve experienced.  I’m straight Diamond and matched to Gold, and I’m hearing MSC only matches Pinnacle to Black now.

Thank you for correcting me. We were very lucky that my wife and me both matched to Black from Celebrity's Elite, but that was several months ago. 

22 hours ago, Quinlan00 said:

Have they changed this recently?  We're also straight Diamond with RC, and we status matched to Black, but this was back in June just after we booked for our upcoming trip.  

Having read both Ham and Hank's posts on these boards this past year, we booked our first MSC cruise on the Divina. Their philosophy has matched our own and was the reason we booked a YC deluxe cabin. We were able to snag an available Royal Suite and upgraded to it #16007. We are half-way through our 10 day cruise and have just today canceled our up coming GS suite on RCL Symphony of the Seas, and replaced it with a YC deluxe cabin on the MSC Seaside. Two nights ago we sat at the future tour desk and booked a second YC Royal Suite aboard the MSC Seaside as well. At this point we do not recommend our present Royal Suite aboard the Divina, the award winning Sophia Loren suite. We are not going to bother finding who gave this suite its award, suffice to say we will sail the Divina again but not in this suite.

1 hour ago, Teacher42 said:

Having read both Ham and Hank's posts on these boards this past year, we booked our first MSC cruise on the Divina. Their philosophy has matched our own and was the reason we booked a YC deluxe cabin. We were able to snag an available Royal Suite and upgraded to it #16007. We are half-way through our 10 day cruise and have just today canceled our up coming GS suite on RCL Symphony of the Seas, and replaced it with a YC deluxe cabin on the MSC Seaside. Two nights ago we sat at the future tour desk and booked a second YC Royal Suite aboard the MSC Seaside as well. At this point we do not recommend our present Royal Suite aboard the Divina, the award winning Sophia Loren suite. We are not going to bother finding who gave this suite its award, suffice to say we will sail the Divina again but not in this suite.

Pray tell,,,,,,you cannot leave us all hanging :).  What is the problem with 16007?  

Hank

I cruised royal for quite a few cruises, all in suites. They got more expensive and less amenities. Gave up and tried NCL and the Haven sold us. Loved the ship within a ship. Those overcrowded CL's on Royal with a limited free drink offerings and times got old. Granted-they started suite lounges and coastal kitchen but that pales in comparison to what the YC offers.  Now that I have sailed MSC in the yacht club, it's my new go to line. Never looking back to Royal. Still love to get a good deal on NCL and the Haven but it's hard to beat MSC prices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, verodoodle said:

Beachin2 .  After you get your status match, remember to call MSC back and have them apply the 5% discount

Thank you for that.  It's on my radar. 

Called them today since I couldn't find on their site (or during the booking process) where to add prepaid gratuities and spoke with a very pleasant young lady who advised me to wait a week or 10 days for the match to come through. 

On 12/24/2018 at 7:36 PM, Beachin2 said:

What a great thread.  The positive testimony favoring the Yacht Club is astounding as it confirms a resounding affirmation that excels MSC YC over RCI.  I have always felt that with RCI you get a bigger suite but with MSC YC you get the whole package.  I don’t mind giving up a larger suite for all that the YC offers.  

Beachin 2...by all means pull the trigger!

BTW...In response to teacher 42...I would much prefer 12001 on Divina over the Royal Suite.  

To those it may concern, The RED Sophia Loren Royal Suite #16007 on board the fabulous MSC Divina is a disappointment. There are only 6 cabinet drawers for clothing and one is housed with non removable hair dryer. Total lack of drawer space for a Royal Suite on any ship. There is no way THE DIVA would travel in this suite for 10 days. If she ever did, she must have had clothing racks rolled into an adjacent cabin. Another short fall is the noise from the above One Pool. Since we both still love to work , our only options of travel are high peak/price travel time and the children love to run around the Yacht Club one pool deck during the day. At night you will be awakened  at around 5:30 AM by the pool attendants above cleaning and rearranging the lounge furniture, do not worry they are quick and you will fall back asleep in 30 minutes or less. No one can really enjoy the balcony, the lounge chairs are shoved into the corner against the bulk head, absolutely no view when sitting and lounging. Instead of transparent glass you have solid bulk head. We love to book a cabin were the two of us can both  sit out on the balcony at the same time on lounge chairs with a view. For some strange reason the Wi-Fi that came with the YC booking and the extra Wi-Fi $135 package (which 'Lady Aster' had to have because only one device would work with the free Wi-Fi) neither would work on the balcony. We both could log on in the cabin, but as soon as you walk out on the balcony it was lost. Have to go up to One Pool, and suffer the sun. Only shade at One Pool is smoking section tables with umbrellas or the bar area, but we felt awkward taking up a table and umbrella at the bar area from those who like to order breakfast and lunch there. But I digress. When the ship is in motion the balcony is too windy to stand and try to enjoy something of the sea. The cabin is still too small by suite standards for $13,000 for ten days.

Edited by Teacher42

Dear Norm, But cabin #12001 is not YC. Am I missing something? Or are you telling me I can  have my cake (a larger cabin) but not be able to eat it (not having the YC privileges). ?  P.S. your philosophy over the past year has been exceedingly helpful as well. Thank you.

11 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

What a great thread.  The positive testimony favoring the Yacht Club is astounding as it confirms a resounding affirmation that excels MSC YC over RCI.  I have always felt that with RCI you get a bigger suite but with MSC YC you get the whole package.  I don’t mind giving up a larger suite for all that the YC offers.  

Beachin 2...by all means pull the trigger!

BTW...In response to teacher 42...I would much prefer 12001 on Divina over the Royal Suite.  

Thanks.  I'm still trying to figure out what the "whole package" is since the web site is a bit short of organized details, and Mr. Google contradicts himself in many areas. 

Looks like the included internet is limited?  Do we each get that limit or is it the total for the suite?  Is that limit for the whole 14 nights or does it replenish on turn-around day?  One device each or one at a time for the cabin?

Figured out that specialty dining is extra - no problem there.  Says stocked mini-bar; that included too?

Also, are deck 18 cabins noisy on the Seaside due to the pool, etc above?  Considering moving from our deck 16 location, but don't like being under the pool deck at all..

19 minutes ago, Beachin2 said:

Thanks.  I'm still trying to figure out what the "whole package" is since the web site is a bit short of organized details, and Mr. Google contradicts himself in many areas. 

Looks like the included internet is limited?  Do we each get that limit or is it the total for the suite?  Is that limit for the whole 14 nights or does it replenish on turn-around day?  One device each or one at a time for the cabin?

Figured out that specialty dining is extra - no problem there.  Says stocked mini-bar; that included too?

Also, are deck 18 cabins noisy on the Seaside due to the pool, etc above?  Considering moving from our deck 16 location, but don't like being under the pool deck at all..

Sorry about attaching that whole quote.  I don't know how that happened.:classic_huh:

Anyway, we've booked deck 16 in the past..  Why would you want to change?  I've read some reviews where people have heard some noise on 18, and others none.  Why take the chance.?

Your mini bar is included.  It is restocked daily.

If you are status matched to BLACK, you'll get a complimentary specialty restaurant dinner (for two).

Edited by mafig