NO Lobster on 5 day.

us2swingu

54 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

It's been said on the Merry -Go - Round  that lobster will be removed from the MDR menu as an included / free item altogether in the future. You will have to order from the pay as you go menu . Other than the paid venues on board it will disappear. Remember where you read this.

Personally,    I prefer the large shrimp to the small frozen lobster tails.   IIRCC, their lobster dish comes with several large shrimp as well.  Now if they start charging for the shrimp??   Houston..... we have a problem!!😊

We live in FL., shrimp are more prevalent than "Lob'ster tail!   And much Fresher!   I think they should also look at Monk Fish as an alternative to the frozen lobsta!   IMHOP! 

• Like 1

It's always quite comical when people say they will never return because a $700 fare is far cheaper than a $500 fare + $20 lobster (as an example)

Oh well, I have a 7 day Carnival coming up soon. I will be getting two Lobster tails that night. So sue me.

4 hours ago, jwjax said:

I think they should also look at Monk Fish as an alternative to the frozen lobsta!   IMHOP! 

Monkfish was a delicious and inexpensive seafood until yuppies discovered it in the mid 80s and drove the price of what was basically a junk fish to the point it rivaled the cost of lobster. I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival gets the little sea slugs they call lobster for much less than monkfish.

4 hours ago, jwjax said:

Personally,    I prefer the large shrimp to the small frozen lobster tails.   IIRCC, their lobster dish comes with several large shrimp as well.  Now if they start charging for the shrimp??   Houston..... we have a problem!!😊

We live in FL., shrimp are more prevalent than "Lob'ster tail!   And much Fresher!   I think they should also look at Monk Fish as an alternative to the frozen lobsta!   IMHOP! 

Seriously, the shrimp is better.  I'd like to see a tuna steak or sea bass, but I doubt that will happen.

39 minutes ago, txtravelerfamily said:

Quite frankly, the free lobster tail isnt all that good. It's kind of rubbery. I much prefer the prime rib, which I always find to be fantastic 

I love the Prime Rib! Especially on the first elegant night when it is topped with delicious crispy onion rings

When we take short cruises, we enjoy the Shrimp dishes that are served on elegant night.  I don’t miss the lobster on those nights, but if I must have one, I can pay the 20.00 upcharge or eat at the steakhouse and order there. 

‘’We cruised with some new family members last year and this year on the 4 day cruise from Galveston and they enjoyed the cruise so much , minus lobster tails. For us, it was a nice to have but not a deal breaker. Plenty other food items that are served on elegant night and otherwise. I know you are disappointed but the food served is still pretty impressive. 

FWIW, We just went to Vegas and seriously spent 500.00 on just food for my husband and I and our son. We were only there 3 days. Our bill for burgers at Guy’s on the strip was 85.00 before the tip, for 3 burgers, no alcohol. Made us really miss Guys burgers for free on the ship. 

13 hours ago, txtravelerfamily said:

Quite frankly, the free lobster tail isnt all that good. It's kind of rubbery. I much prefer the prime rib, which I always find to be fantastic 

So true, the lobster is not even a cold water tail.  It is Florida or Caribbean lobster tail and frozen as well...…  I stopped ordering it a long time ago.  Much better & tastier options.....

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, sanmarcosman said:

Monkfish was a delicious and inexpensive seafood until yuppies discovered it in the mid 80s and drove the price of what was basically a junk fish to the point it rivaled the cost of lobster. I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival gets the little sea slugs they call lobster for much less than monkfish.

Hi

Don't forget, even the lobster started it's days being considered as garbage food.

With a little marketing, changes in habitat, and lots of overfishing, almost anything will start going up in price. Like anything else it's supply and demand that controls price. For some, if it's expensive, it becomes attractive.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 12:02 PM, Doggielover68 said:

I've never really understood the hype over the lobster tail. Personally I have never ordered it, but always witness a bunch of other people shoving plate after plate of "free" lobster down their throats. Every lobster night, the MDR is a mad house and service takes longer than usual because of the demand/number of dishes being ordered. To top it off, they always do the dancing on elegant night too which makes the servers even more pressed for time. Shorter cruises bring a more party like atmosphere with heavier drinking. It makes sense to not have the lobster on those shorter cruises because people are feeding their post drinking munchies with expensive food. If it is that important to you, choose a 6+ day cruise. 

First elegant night has nothing to do with the speed and if you have ever done the behind the scene tour you would see how everything is done in the Gally. Second did you not read my post? I don't do 5 day cruises only doing it this time because our friends could not afford a longer one, this is their first cruise. I like Lobster, but I can do with or without it.

1 hour ago, us2swingu said:

First elegant night has nothing to do with the speed and if you have ever done the behind the scene tour you would see how everything is done in the Gally. Second did you not read my post? I don't do 5 day cruises only doing it this time because our friends could not afford a longer one, this is their first cruise. I like Lobster, but I can do with or without it.

Actually yes. I did do the Behind the Fun tour about 3 weeks ago and it is not about the galley. It is about the customers who are in the dining room running the servers around like crazy. "Another lobster, another side dish, another dessert, etc etc." It is a long haul to the galley and every time someone asks for an additional item, the servers have to go back to retrieve it. That is why it does in fact take longer on the first elegant night (lobster) because the dining room is busier than usual, the staff is making more trips to the galley, and they also have to do the dancing at 7. 

In addition, did YOU read your original post? You said you went on a 5 day with your son and found out about the lobster...and you are going on another with friends. Didn't see anything about doing longer cruises. 

Edited by Doggielover68
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 11:39 AM, mscinmia said:

So true, the lobster is not even a cold water tail.  It is Florida or Caribbean lobster tail and frozen as well...…  I stopped ordering it a long time ago.  Much better & tastier options.....

On a recent cruise on another line, the young, straight out of college with a degree in hospitality head waiter had noticed that a number of passengers were not ordering the lobster on gala night.

He was curious and was asking those of us that didn't order the lobster the reason why we didn't.

We were seated halfway through his section and by the time he was at our table, he told us that the reason that we gave him (knowing the difference between the taste and flavor of a cold water lobster vs a warm water lobster) was the reason given by everyone he had questioned at that point.

The interesting thing he told us is that that tiny little tails are not even from the Caribbean.  They are imported from the coast of New Zealand and are considered "lobster" because taxonomically, they do have a some of the characteristics of the warm water caribbean species which has a taxonomic connection with cold water North Atlantic lobster.

When asked, he said that the sourcing of this species of "lobster" was pretty much the standard in Carnival Corporation lines and as far as he knew from trade scuttlebutt, was the same for Royal Caribbean and NCL.

On 12/27/2018 at 11:06 PM, Quilcruisers said:

FWIW, We just went to Vegas and seriously spent 500.00 on just food for my husband and I and our son. We were only there 3 days. Our bill for burgers at Guy’s on the strip was 85.00 before the tip, for 3 burgers, no alcohol. Made us really miss Guys burgers for free on the ship. 

Just went to New York and paid $75 for two burgers and a shake. I find the Guy's on the ship to be just as good. 

51 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am more disappointed that they got rid of the scallops on cruises, to include the shorter ones. I always thought the scallops were better than the lobster tails. 

I personally would take scallops or jumbo shrimp over lobster any day.  

On 12/26/2018 at 9:36 AM, us2swingu said:

Was on a cruise with my son in Oct. for a 5 day and found out on Formal night they no longer have Lobster on the menu for 5 day cruise only. You can buy it but not offered. This is messed up, we are cruising in June with a couple that have never been on a cruise and this was one of the things they where excited about, then I had to tell them it's not offered no more. Are they really that desperate for money that they have to take a small luxury away from people that would not normally be able to afford it after all the money that people pay for the cruise. Just sayin'

Why bring this up now?  This changed at least 3 years ago, if not longer. 

On 12/26/2018 at 10:53 AM, Purvis1231 said:

A little research before a cruise goes along way. 

We booked our cruise almost 2 years ago to give plenty of time to pay for it.  It's our first and I've been researching everything.  I have found out plenty but several things have changed in just the past few months so there's no way to research accurately before booking.  Also, things are different from ship to ship so while we may have been booking based on certain menu selections(such as OP)we have found out that it's not all-you-can-eat prime rib and lobster all the time(as we were told by the couple we are sailing with since that has changed since their last cruise) and IF offered at all it MIGHT be on a formal night and our ship doesn't have a steakhouse so when someone makes that suggestion it's irrelevant for us.  Little by little, we are finding that all the research in the world won't make a difference and if you change a booking it costs more $$ than it's worth.  Just saying......

3 minutes ago, Crazy4Camping said:

We booked our cruise almost 2 years ago to give plenty of time to pay for it.  It's our first and I've been researching everything.  I have found out plenty but several things have changed in just the past few months so there's no way to research accurately before booking.  Also, things are different from ship to ship so while we may have been booking based on certain menu selections(such as OP)we have found out that it's not all-you-can-eat prime rib and lobster all the time(as we were told by the couple we are sailing with since that has changed since their last cruise) and IF offered at all it MIGHT be on a formal night and our ship doesn't have a steakhouse so when someone makes that suggestion it's irrelevant for us.  Little by little, we are finding that all the research in the world won't make a difference and if you change a booking it costs more $$ than it's worth.  Just saying......

To be honest, researching too much can be a problem when it comes to cruising. I research our ports for sure, but the rest of it doesn't require plans. Part of the experience is waiting to see what the food and entertainment options are for that particular day. After a long day in the port, I like to sit down at dinner and look at the menu to decide what to eat. I don't need to plan what to eat 2 years in advance. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

To be honest, researching too much can be a problem when it comes to cruising. I research our ports for sure, but the rest of it doesn't require plans. Part of the experience is waiting to see what the food and entertainment options are for that particular day. After a long day in the port, I like to sit down at dinner and look at the menu to decide what to eat. I don't need to plan what to eat 2 years in advance. 

I like to research things like what dining venues will be available on my ship and if I need to make reservations or not. But I have learned that menus, shows, activities, etc can change and to not plan on everything I saw in someone's review to be there when I cruise.

1 hour ago, Doggielover68 said:

If it wasn't our first and prob only cruise, I wouldn't be researching so much but I'm trying to be prepared.  For example, if it weren't for these boards I wouldn't have known that the cabins aren't like hotel rooms.  There aren't any of the usual things like a frig, microwave, coffee maker, iron, etc.  The food thing was a big selling point when our friends were trying to talk us into cruising but now I know not to have high expectations in regards to beef or seafood.  One person told me if we wanted prime rib or lobster options every night we needed to sail with Norwegian.  I would imagine most of the cruise lines are changing their menus though.  I agree that relaxing and perusing the menu at the end of a long day would be a better way.  I'm such a spaz that I usually figure out what I'm eating when we go out before we get there.  LOL