Rate drop after deposits paid, what happens?

swdke

If a deposit is paid for a cruise 11 months from now and if the cruise rate were to drop, what happens?  Can we benefit from the new lower rate? How?

I've not yet paid a deposit, but found a cruise I do want to book.  Wondering if I should pay deposit now or maybe wait for possible lower rate since cruise is 11 months away.  Was wondering my options if I did pay deposit and if rate did drop.  Thanks for all help and information.

Book NOW!!

Pick the cabin you want and lock it in with your deposit. If you wait the selection will be less.

If there's a price drop, call Princess and ask for it. You can often get the drop or some other enhancement (OBC, better cabin) even after final payment.

Also, fares tend to be lower the further from sail date that you are. I usually book right after the cruise is posted and rarely see a price drop lower than what I paid (one time so far in 20+ cruises).

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Just this morning I called my TA and re-fared a summer 2020 cruise. Was only $200, but still. Every few days I drive around the PCL website looking for bargains. Found that the fare had inexplicably dropped from just a couple of months ago when that cruise opened up and I booked. 

Also, be aware of the sale that begins on 1/2/19. Lots of OBC there to be had with re-fareing. 

I just refared my cruise, $780 per person! The original booking did not come with any perks like onboard credit, so we had literally nothing to lose, but saved $1640. I just did this last week.

Also, we had booked directly with Princess. No need for a travel agent to be involved. I called Princess and they were very nice and made the adjustment, and we did not lose our room number, pre-cruise purchases I've already made like coffee card, etc. Everything stayed the same except the price.

Edited by Cyn874
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

I just refared my cruise, $780 per person! The original booking did not come with any perks like onboard credit, so we had literally nothing to lose, but saved $1640. I just did this last week.

Also, we had booked directly with Princess. No need for a travel agent to be involved. I called Princess and they were very nice and made the adjustment, and we did not lose our room number, pre-cruise purchases I've already made like coffee card, etc. Everything stayed the same except the price.

Great savongs.

I had my TA call Princess after final payment was made and had my upcoming cruise refared saving a lot of $$$ like you. It is worth asking!