Labadee for Celebrity

dowen63

9 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Isn’t Labadee a RC destination rather than a Celebrity one? We have visited a few times but I think they have always been RC Cruises, don’t recollect it on any X itinerary...

The Caribbean isn't our favorite warm weather destination so we don't do many Caribbean cruises, but we visited Labadee in 2010 on the now departed Celebrity Mercury.  I actually enjoyed our day there.

We visited there on Celebrity Reflection in January 2017.  Not long after, that I read that Celebrity will no longer go there, but RCCL will.  If you search on the boards, the answer is there--somewhere.  Maybe the Celebrity clientele did not like it as much as the more family oriented RCCL.  For us it was just ho hum, but we live at a beach.

Love Labadee. So sorry Celebrity is not going there. While on Equinox this past summer, out wonderful waiter in the Sky lounge told us the next cruise was a charter and they were going to Labadee. OTOH, glad Celebrity does NOT go to Falmouth, another RCI destination. 

22 minutes ago, cluso said:

We visited there on Celebrity Reflection in January 2017.  Not long after, that I read that Celebrity will no longer go there, but RCCL will.  If you search on the boards, the answer is there--somewhere.  Maybe the Celebrity clientele did not like it as much as the more family oriented RCCL.  For us it was just ho hum, but we live at a beach.

I also visited Labadee on Reflection in January  and loved the experience. I had been there 44 times before going back to 1986 and thought RCI had made done wonders with the place. I'd be happy to go back-as private "islands" go it has a lot to offer.

Norris

45 minutes ago, 39august said:

OTOH, glad Celebrity does NOT go to Falmouth, another RCI destination. 

Ha Ha.  We went to Falmouth, too, on that cruise.  We did a local food tasting/walking tour (not thru the ship).  It was fun and we did not get harassed by locals.

Edited by cluso
term

30 minutes ago, Bimmer09 said:

I had been there 44 times before going back to 1986.

WOW!  Bet you saw a lot of changes!  On our trip, we had to stay in the "resort area", could not see the rest of the island.

4 minutes ago, cluso said:

WOW!  Bet you saw a lot of changes!  On our trip, we had to stay in the "resort area", could not see the rest of the island.

Yes- I worked for RCCL on the Song of Norway which began going to Labadee in 1986. It was very small and featureless then-a beach and some rocks but a great quiet place to relax with a beer from the ship. No pier so we anchored and tendered ashore. I think it is now a worthy place to stop-to relax, eat at the buffet, swim, walk along the sea path, take an excursion-we did a great boat tour- zip-line, rent a cabana etc.

Certainly beats the Princess stop at Princess Cays by a mile.

Norris

2 minutes ago, keesar said:

I believe the decision was based on surveys.  Celebrity cruisers were not happy with the lack of shopping on the Island.  For what it is worth....

Yes-the shopping was meagre to say the least. But then I principally shop on Amazon although I am not averse to buying some cruisline tee shirts or ball caps. No Diamonds International there for sure but I put that in the "win" column. 

No Michael Kors, Bvlgari, Hilfiger or Lauren...all wins!

Norris

1 hour ago, cluso said:

I have been  to Haiti, the real one. As much as i love them, and as a Canadian, need them... read

Edit

Tavel is the best cure for almost anythung

Edited by A Sixth?

We did Labadee and Falmouth on the same cruise on Silhouette, I believe in 2014.   Labadee even had a small roller coaster.   Wife did the zip line, I did not get off the ship at Labadee, had just had open heart surgery a couple months before and just relaxed at the pool.  Funny thing was the following year we did Alaska and a zip line course in a State Park.  Wife remarked how the for safety reasons with the harnesses there was no comparison between Alaska and Labadee.  Alaska was much safer, she said in hindsight she would probably not do the zip line in Labadee again. 

Edited by dkjretired

We went to Labadee on Reflection in a suite so got to use the private suite area. It was great. I thought I saw a post some time ago that "X" no longer went there because of so many Royal ships needing the dock space.  I would certainly prefer that to some of the regular stops with the same shops in the port and being warned it's too dangerous to see the town.

On 12/30/2018 at 1:19 AM, CoconutOne said:

Went there on Reflection once, and that was enough. A dumpy port with nothing to offer. I'm glad that and Falmouth have been removed from Celebrity sailings.

We enjoyed Falmouth sev times...nice beach excursions from there, there was an enjoyable restaurant with Jamaican food , great rum,  nice shops with reggae music fir sale...upscale clothing...some made locally..

Not cruising on Royal so guess no Falmouth for us.  The  Jamaican port ( forgot which one)  Celeb took us to was the pits.Poorly organized excursions , industrial pier,  inadequate transp.we got back onto the ship..

No need to stop in Jamaica anymore

We have enjoyed Labadee sev times.   Renting the pvt  beach cabana  is great..well worth it. But the beach clamshells are also ok..cost less!

We've been to Labadee a couple of times and enjoyed it both times. We are both "Beach" people and while I can't just lie on the beach and worship the sun as my wife tends to do, I would always find something to do. I enjoyed "conversations" with some of the vendors and more times than not I ended up purchasing some of their wares. This was the stop where I always purchased souvenirs for co-workers so I was able to justify it to the misses why I ended up with so much stuff.