Which ship for Alaska?

kaerofan

Just looking for ship recommendations,  The Coral, The Island or The Royal?  Have narrowed it down to a northbound Alaska cruise in May just trying to figure out the pros and cons of each ship.  I realize that the Royal is one of the newer ships - just not sure how much that matters?  Princess is our favourite and we love the Crown Grill, but we also want to be sure there are a lot of areas for scenic viewing.

2 hours ago, kaerofan said:

Just looking for ship recommendations,  The Coral, The Island or The Royal?  Have narrowed it down to a northbound Alaska cruise in May just trying to figure out the pros and cons of each ship.  I realize that the Royal is one of the newer ships - just not sure how much that matters?  Princess is our favourite and we love the Crown Grill, but we also want to be sure there are a lot of areas for scenic viewing.

Coral Coral Coral Coral!  Did I mention the Coral?

+1 for the Coral. My avatar was taken on the Coral from one of the public aft decks that have almost been eliminated on the Island and don't exist on the Royal except on the top decks. Royal also doesn't have a full promenade or forward facing decks (except for the Sanctuary) and I also think the unobstructed views are superior on the top decks on the Coral. It's all about the views when you are in Alaska!

Edited by hllwdcruiser

All of these ships have many people who love them. So don’t listen to those who say otherwise.  

It will be a personal choice based on your cruising style. If you are like me and enjoy a large aft facing stateroom at a reasonable price then my suggestions are below. 

My first choice is one of the aft facing suites on the Island. Aloha deck or Lido if Aloha is not available. We are booked b2b in May for our third time on the Island. 

Second choice is an aft owners suite on the Pacific. Booked for 2020. 

Since the Coral has no aft suites I wouldn’t choose her.

If you like another type of cabin any one of these 3 would be a great choice. 

I would not take Royal due to a lack of a promenade deck. 

4 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

All of these ships have many people who love them. So don’t listen to those who say otherwise.  

It will be a personal choice based on your cruising style. If you are like me and enjoy a large aft facing stateroom at a reasonable price then my suggestions are below. 

My first choice is one of the aft facing suites on the Island. Aloha deck or Lido if Aloha is not available. We are booked b2b in May for our third time on the Island. 

Second choice is an aft owners suite on the Pacific. Booked for 2020. 

Since the Coral has no aft suites I wouldn’t choose her.

If you like another type of cabin any one of these 3 would be a great choice. 

I would not take Royal due to a lack of a promenade deck. 

Exactly. There's not much outside viewing space on the Royal.

Send it back to the Caribbean. 

• Like 1

We went to Alaska on the Golden last summer, and we booked to do it again. I can say I was not wild about the ship, but the crew were great. It does many people don't like the Golden because it always seems to be cheaper than the Coral or the Royal.