Has anyone sailed Carnival to the Mexican Riviera?

JakePowers28

Hello, I am planning on sailing to the Mexican Riviera on Carnival Panorama in December 2019, for Christmas break. Has anyone ever sailed to the Mexican Riviera? What are some of the best excursions for me to do there? I am excited for this new Carnival ship and I have never been out west before... if you have any experiences to share please do. Thanks!

I was looking at that trip...and then checked weather/temperatures for the ports....we just got off the Horizon Western Caribbean and really loved swapping snow for 80's, sunshine and warm ocean water. It looks like the Mexican Riveria has much more moderate winter temps, which do not interest me (maybe that is why the price is lower than Horizons itenerary?)

We took a phenomenal ATV tour in Puerta Vallarta with Xiutla Riders. Over 3 hours long, had a blast riding through the city streets then up to the mountains and down along the beach. A great day and the guide was awesome. We had 2 couples on the excursion and we all had a lot of riding experience so the guide really put us through the paces.

2 hours ago, BENHANDEL said:

I was looking at that trip...and then checked weather/temperatures for the ports....we just got off the Horizon Western Caribbean and really loved swapping snow for 80's, sunshine and warm ocean water. It looks like the Mexican Riveria has much more moderate winter temps, which do not interest me (maybe that is why the price is lower than Horizons itenerary?)

Yes, we are sailing the riviera in a couple weeks and it’s only about 67 degrees right now.  So it’s a bit cool in the winter, but we are close to port, so we are going for it anyway. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JakePowers28 said:

Hello, I am planning on sailing to the Mexican Riviera on Carnival Panorama in December 2019, for Christmas break. Has anyone ever sailed to the Mexican Riviera? What are some of the best excursions for me to do there? I am excited for this new Carnival ship and I have never been out west before... if you have any experiences to share please do. Thanks!

I've looked at this particular cruise out of Long Beach closely myself. The price is good. I just can't get past the weather possibilities and potential rough seas and that was in April. I have no interest in going on a cruise in December where it can be cold in L.A. and having to most likely stay inside the ship the first and last day due to cold weather. I too am from the Detroit area and I'd want warm. Not 50s-60s and rough Pacific seas. 

• Like 1

I did this itinerary in September on the Splendor and had a blast. One thing to keep in mind is that if you want to any whale watching excursions, those sell out far in advance, but you will be going in the peak season.

I’d recommend seeing Rhythms of the Night in Puerto Vallarta. It’s also late enough in the day that you could have time to independently explore the port in the morning if you choose.

Yes, it will be cool in Long Beach, but at least you’d be going on a new ship with lots of features - I’d take advantage of it and plan accordingly. Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta should have highs in the mid-upper 80s (and likely very humid), and Cabo should be in the 70s.

Carnival Splendor handled the seas pretty well when I went in September  - quite frankly I would have been fine had we skipped Cabo due to rough seas for the tenders - so I wouldn’t worry about it on a larger ship.

We have done this cruise numerous times.  We have flown from NC to San Diego spent a couple of days and then rented a car and driven up the Pacific coast Highway to Long Beach and we have flown directly into LAX and had a driver take us to long beach.  We have stated at the Maya (Costal Hotel chain - had to take a taxi although a nice walk over to the ship but luggage curtailed this) and last year for fun we stayed on the Queen Mary (they took our luggage over to the ship).  They do it a bit different than cruising from the East coast, once luggage is dropped off they have a small building for us to enter (we are platinum) located out in parking lot for us to check in and then we just waited outside.  They had ropes that you line up behind depending on your designation.  In the 5 times we have done this cruise we have never been seated in the terminal only walked through to the ship.  Cobo - we have been to Sammy Haggar's Cobo Wobo but would highly recommend "The Office" for lunch, you can make reservations prior to going on the cruise which is what we did.  You tender into the Marina in Cobo and there will be a sign up in the Marina and you pay $10 for a small boat to take you over to the restraint. When you land on the beach they will come and assist you out of the boat (carried me to the sand beach) and there was our table waiting for us with our name on it.  The food was absolutely amazing. We have also toured the area and shopped. Mazatlan we have been down to the Golden district with a private tour and we have booked a private resort for the day.  Puerto Vallarta we have had a taxi take us down to the Malecon(down town) and walked the area (beautiful beach) shopped and numerous restaurants.  We have also done a resort for the day and my husband loved the Hyatt Ziva and would highly recommend.   

Definitely like the western side of mexico  more than the eastern side. Wish carnival would offer longer itineraries on that side. Go up to san Fran or further down to Acapulco or Guatemala. We went in may a few years ago and the first and last sea days were on the cool side but not as cool as this past December when we ended in LA on a different itinerary diff cruise line. The seas both times were relatively tame especially when compared to sailing on atlantic side of Caribbean islands. 

I have done this itinerary many times.  I went swimming in Cabo and Mazatlan in December and the water  was great.  This isn't always the case, but your chances are good.  I have also done Las Caletas in Puerto Vallarta in February and went swimming no problems.  This was one of my favorite tours. It is expensive, but I'm glad I did it once.  I have also gone horseback riding in Mazatlan on Stone Island.  I used Randi's Happy Horses, which is now Maria's Happy Horses.  Maria is a wonderful girl.  I know there is a website for it.  When Randi was in charge, they picked you up inside the terminal area where the shops are and shuttled  us to the ferry to Stone Island and then we got our horses and went through the trees to the beach and rode down the beach to Victor's for lunch.  Lunch is extra but it was very good.  I don't know if Maria uses Victor's anymore.  I also waded into the water there in December one time and it was not cold, but not overly warm.  We usually go to Medano beach in Cabo.  As someone previously said The Office is there.  There are two other restaurants too.  Billigan's and Mango Deck.   We go to Mango Deck.  Now in Puerto Vallarta we just get off the ship in the port area to get anything we want.  If you have further questions please ask.

Candi

5 hours ago, dbrucern said:

They do it a bit different than cruising from the East coast, once luggage is dropped off they have a small building for us to enter (we are platinum) located out in parking lot for us to check in and then we just waited outside.  They had ropes that you line up behind depending on your designation.  In the 5 times we have done this cruise we have never been seated in the terminal only walked through to the ship.

That was then, now Carnival has leased the entire dome and spent a small fortune decorating and making it perfect for embarking. Priority guests are in a different area of the dome with comfortable seating. It is now a decorated tropical oasis inside. When your group is called there is a ramp with switchbacks you traverse to get to the gangway to board. There is an elevator for people like me that like a little service. The priority side also has coffee service. Luggage is still taken by porters next to the parking garage. Long Beach now has a very nice cruise port facility. The Panorama will have a nice home when she arrives. 

There is an entire board on this site dedicated to the ports in Mexico that this ship visits.

It is called the Mexican "Riviera board. You will find tons of info there.

We do this cruise every year but in spring when it is warmer.

In Cabo I really enjoyed the camel ride along the beach excursion. I book ship excursions in tender ports as it is easier to get on and off the ship that way.

Puerto Vallarta has many possibilities from zip lining to beach resorts to just walking along the boardwalk(malecon) and people watching.

Mazatlan also has many possibilities.

I would start reading on the Mexico board to get more specific info.

My DW and I did this on the Carnival Tropicale 32 years ago on our honeymoon and vowed never to do the Mexican Riviera again.

Cabo was the only Port we enjoyed.  We didn’t like Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan as they felt dirty and unkept, and didn’t feel safe in either  place so I can imagine just how much worse they’d be today.

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth