What the hell...

Newby58

Hi everyone,

I just have to get this off my chest... I'm reading cruise reviews and getting frustrated by the minute. I know we each have our opinions, however, I read these reviews and all I can see of people who give scathing reviews is people who have unrealistic expectations because they haven't done any homework or research or it's all about the dollar and not getting their moneys worth, (again unrealistic expectations), or not getting the answer they want at guest services. If we all let any one incident cloud our overall cruise we would all have lousy cruises! I particularly like the line where they say and many/all other cruisers felt the same way! Over it. I will calm down now 🙂

Cheryl

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Newby58 said:

Hi everyone,

I just have to get this off my chest... I'm reading cruise reviews and getting frustrated by the minute. I know we each have our opinions, however, I read these reviews and all I can see of people who give scathing reviews is people who have unrealistic expectations because they haven't done any homework or research or it's all about the dollar and not getting their moneys worth, (again unrealistic expectations), or not getting the answer they want at guest services. If we all let any one incident cloud our overall cruise we would all have lousy cruises! I particularly like the line where they say and many/all other cruisers felt the same way! Over it. I will calm down now 🙂

Cheryl

I don’t read them now if I can restrain myself, I often read a review and think “Was that was the same cruise I was on???”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Newby58 said:

Maybe that was my mistake. Reading them! LOL

Now you made me look at reviews of my last cruise.

one complaint Sugar salt and pepper not on tables. Ohhh he cruise before us had a Noro outbreak and for most of our cruise we were on full service in the buffet, but I guess they’d rather be sick as dogs than have to ask for salt and pepper.

Edited by GUT2407
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Now you made me look at reviews of my last cruise.

one complaint Sugar salt and pepper not on tables. Ohhh he cruise before us had a Moro outbreak and for most of our cruise we were on full service in the buffet, but I guess they’d rather be sick as dogs than have to ask for salt and pepper.

Never happy...

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

It also why I post as a thread, rather than a review, that way anyone can pull me into line if I’m over the top either way.

but then Mrs G and I are pretty easy pleased.

Point taken. My reviews will now be via a thread.  And yes, I am easily pleased, do my research, know how much everything is going to cost  and realise sometimes things go wrong and make the best of it.

7 minutes ago, Newby58 said:

Point taken. My reviews will now be via a thread.  And yes, I am easily pleased, do my research, know how much everything is going to cost  and realise sometimes things go wrong and make the best of it.

I’ve had. A few things go wrong on cruises, and they have felt my wrath, but at the end of the day it was still better than cooking, cleaning and working.

• Like 1

Just now, GUT2407 said:

I’ve had. A few things go wrong on cruises, and they have felt my wrath, but at the end of the day it was still better than cooking, cleaning and working.

Yes even the time a security guard hit me in the back with his scanning wand and I spent the next three days in bed.

Just now, GUT2407 said:

As have I. Although I choose the glass half full. I don't complain. If it was a serious issue, I would.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yes even the time a security guard hit me in the back with his scanning wand and I spent the next three days in bed.

THAT is serious. Not like getting a buzzer to wait for dinner! Not that I ever have...

I read the scathing or just negative reviews too and look for things that are important to me.  So if someone said you could only get a seat in the theatre if you were there one hour before hand, I would take that into consideration.  Or if they said the gin and tonics were warm (the horror!).  But if they said that every time they complained to guest services they weren't properly compensated, or there was nothing fit to eat on board, or if all the staff were always rude, then I would apply a pinch of salt.  So I guess I am saying that I find all reviews can be useful, when read critically.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Newby58 said:

THAT is serious. Not like getting a buzzer to wait for dinner! Not that I ever have...

Mrs g thought he was showing off for one of the girls on the team and not watching what he was doing.

yeah she went ballistic but hey we still enjoyed our cruise

6 minutes ago, Swissmiss6253 said:

I read the scathing or just negative reviews too and look for things that are important to me.  So if someone said you could only get a seat in the theatre if you were there one hour before hand, I would take that into consideration.  Or if they said the gin and tonics were warm (the horror!).  But if they said that every time they complained to guest services they weren't properly compensated, or there was nothing fit to eat on board, or if all the staff were always rude, then I would apply a pinch of salt.  So I guess I am saying that I find all reviews can be useful, when read critically.

Absolutely, although  any negative review has an impact on some people who don't think critically. How is this fair to the cruise lines?

Reviews can definitely provide insights especially with respect to cruise lines we haven’t cruised with before.  We are all different and our expectations can vary greatly.  I read reviews and definitely take on board those reviews and then once on board either come away agreeing or come away thinking some people are hard to please.  But overall have benefited from both positives and negative feedback.  For example on our recent cruise negative feedback re how long you had to arrive before a show was raised by many, and have to agree you should not have to arrive in a theatre 45 mins prior to get a seat, but found this spot on.  We are all individuals and everyone sees things slightly different, but  I do take on board negatives as well as positives and just hope the positives outweigh the negatives and we have always enjoyed our cruises some more than others.

5 hours ago, Newby58 said:

Absolutely, although  any negative review has an impact on some people who don't think critically. How is this fair to the cruise lines?

Life isn't fair.

It's the same as someone who has a bad cruise due to poor service or plumbing issues or whatever even though they've paid top dollar, and don't get compensated. Or just have the conditions change after they book - but be told tough.

Got to take the ups with the downs. Plus it's not as though RCL's local marketing has been honest with prospective customers either, so you just need to not accept things at face value.

Complaints about drink prices get up my nose. There's a particular wine that we like to drink on board, and the cost is usually around $42.00. You can buy it at the grog shops for $20.00, and I pay $10.00 buying by the dozen from a wholesaler.

Does it bother me to pay $42.00 on board? NO! Because that is what I pay when I go to a restaurant, so why should I complain about ship prices.

15 hours ago, Swissmiss6253 said:

And not just one review, multiples.

• Like 1

Yesterday I read a couple of reviews, same cruise, same ship. One review rated 5/5 the other sounded like cruise from hell 2/5. I noted that the 2/5 review gave a rating of 1/5 for tours and excusrsions but when I read their reviews of these they were all rated at 4/5. Go figure.

Edited by lyndarra
amended 2/5 for tours, it was 1/5.

8 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Yesterday I read a couple of reviews, same cruise, same ship. One review rated 5/5 the other sounded like cruise from hell 2/5. I noted that the 2/5 review gave a rating of 2/5 for tours and excusrsions but when I read their reviews of these they were all rated at 4/5. Go figure.

Yeah some strange things

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

And the reduction in the number of pats of butter on Princess MDR tables, got real serious on here.  

Similar on Celebrity Solstice with their three small dabs of spread for the whole basket of breads. Our table waiter got the hint and each night made sure there was a plate of those little butter sache thingys on our table.