Printing receipts with each drink order to get more tips

7 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

How many people do you honestly think drink less than the package amount?  

No idea. I don't drink anywhere near enough to make the numbers work so I'm out.

I have read post from people who say they don't care. They just don't want to have to think about it when they feel like having a drink.

Cruised on Symphony in December with 9 adults with drink package. We commented after that it was the first cruise that we remember that none of us ever got a receipt to sign for our drinks. 

We we did get charged for a few drinks that we shouldn’t have. But wasn’t worth it to stand in line to get them refunded. 

Edited by cindivan

1 hour ago, cindivan said:

Cruised on Symphony in December with 9 adults with drink package. We commented after that it was the first cruise that we remember that none of us ever got a receipt to sign for our drinks. 

We we did get charged for a few drinks that we shouldn’t have. But wasn’t worth it to stand in line to get them refunded. 

Interesting to hear how common of a practice this seems to be. I have sailed on Independence (x2), Anthem, Symphony, and Enchantment and this trip on Enchantment was my first time getting any receipts. My main things against it are the waste of paper and how much it slows down service for them to deal with all the paperwork, pens, etc. I bet it overall does reault in more tips for them though, there are likely even some people that don't  know gratitues are included in the package.  Maybe it seems a little more common on smaller ships? Thanks everyone for the good conversation! 

17 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

But you do have a choice, don't cruise and stay home at your local pub and drink your beer.  Just because I feel I should tip based on all the service I receive and not only what I initially paid for does not mean it is wrong or not sensible.

At my local pub, I tip the bartender $1 per drink. Maybe more if the drink is unusually strong or if the bartender gives me a free drink once in a while - two things that never happen on a cruise sip.

Based on cruise ship prices, the 18% comes close to $1.50 - $2 per drink.If I just break even on the deluxe bervage package,  I've already over-tipped. I would have to drink way more than the break-even point to bring the tip into the '"average" range.

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

At my local pub, I tip the bartender $1 per drink. Maybe more if the drink is unusually strong or if the bartender gives me a free drink once in a while - two things that never happen on a cruise sip.

Based on cruise ship prices, the 18% comes close to $1.50 - $2 per drink.If I just break even on the deluxe bervage package,  I've already over-tipped. I would have to drink way more than the break-even point to bring the tip into the '"average" range.

Excellent explanation 

Thank You

So, is it a 50% chance that receipts will be printed? I am looking forward to my first RCI cruise for a while after the last 5 being on Celebrity. I always had the Beverage Package and never had to sign any slips. Before the Packages became a thing I hated having to 1) search my bag for my specs, 2) move to a well lit area, 3) work out what the slip actually means, and 4) make a decision concerning tipping. It sort of took all the fun out of relaxing in a bar, or by the pool with a beer or a cocktail. I hope I am on one of the lucky sailings where they are not bothering with wasting mounds of paper on the unnecessary printed slips. 🍺🍹🍷🥤

39 minutes ago, laslomas said:

So, is it a 50% chance that receipts will be printed? I am looking forward to my first RCI cruise for a while after the last 5 being on Celebrity. I always had the Beverage Package and never had to sign any slips. Before the Packages became a thing I hated having to 1) search my bag for my specs, 2) move to a well lit area, 3) work out what the slip actually means, and 4) make a decision concerning tipping. It sort of took all the fun out of relaxing in a bar, or by the pool with a beer or a cocktail. I hope I am on one of the lucky sailings where they are not bothering with wasting mounds of paper on the unnecessary printed slips. 🍺🍹🍷🥤

I'd say less than 50%. At the bars I frequent - pool bars, Schooner Bar,  English Pub - I'd get the receipt the first day or two and then never again.

At places where the servers don't know me - theater, ice rink, servers walking around the pool area - I usually get a receipt.

1 hour ago, laslomas said:

Which ship?  We sailed on the Allure last month and had to sign for every drink.  Every. Stinking. Drink.  Super annoying.  Especially on the particularly windy days by the pool.  Keeping my fingers crossed that you have better luck!

15 minutes ago, KatWoman92 said:

Which ship?  We sailed on the Allure last month and had to sign for every drink.  Every. Stinking. Drink.  Super annoying.  Especially on the particularly windy days by the pool.  Keeping my fingers crossed that you have better luck!

I will be on Independence of the Seas in May. I am definitely keeping everything crossed I have better luck than you. Agree, super annoying.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

It doesn't take much to drink more than the drink package.  My package equates to about 4 $12 glasses of wine.  That doesn't include the fancy coffee I get, the bottles of water, and I could easily drink 2 glasses of wine at lunch and then more at dinner or later.  If I purchased all of that without the package on the ship I would still have to pay the 18%.  Also not sure where you are from but 18% is pretty standard tipping percent.

I really think some of you should actually try working in a service industry and see what it is really like before complaining about a few dollars on what is probably already a very expensive vacation.

I have seen prices quoted here for the drink package that range from $38 dollars a day to $70 a day. On $38 dollars a day the tip is $6.84  on $70 dollars a day the tip is $12.60.  I would say that $50 is the average price of the drink package with the tip being $9 a day. If I drink 9 drinks a day that's a dollar a drink tip. I really don't think anymore should be applied for someone who is just doing their job and pouring the drink.  Most of the drinks are premixed and all they do is push a button on the blender. The issue is service. People forget that the tip is based on going above and beyond not just doing your job.  Handing out a receipt   so you can be tipped out is just absurd. Furthermore it takes just as much effort to pour a drink for someone who has paid $38 for the package as it does for someone who paid $70. Therefore the difference is averaged in for the total tip amount. I realize that it's a different world from when I grew up. Today everyone is winner and gets a prize for just participating. Yes this a great self esteem builder but just creates lack of pride and a sense of entitlement. That's what that receipt represents to me. I also despise how some here on CC suggest that only the cruise staff work hard for their money and the passengers don't. So unless someone goes above or beyond for me they will just get the gratuity that the cruise line has established and the staff has contracted for.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I will be on Independence of the Seas in May. I am definitely keeping everything crossed I have better luck than you. Agree, super annoying.

We always tip our favorite bartenders at the end of the week.  I didn't appreciate feeling "shamed" into tipping extra on every drink.  Plus, we felt we had to watch our account closer each day to make sure that nothing had been added. 

39 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I really don't think anymore should be applied for someone who is just doing their job and pouring the drink.  

The problem is that is not all that the tip is for.  There are a lot of other people behind the scenes that are in that tip pool.  What about the servers who actually come to your table and then bring you your drink?  Who washes the glasses, clears the tables?  

Honestly I think the best way for RCL to resolve this would be to handle it just like they do for anyone who buys drinks by the glass.  Do not include the tip in the package and then apply the 18% tip to each drink ordered.  

17 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

The problem is that is not all that the tip is for.  There are a lot of other people behind the scenes that are in that tip pool.  What about the servers who actually come to your table and then bring you your drink?  Who washes the glasses, clears the tables?  

Honestly I think the best way for RCL to resolve this would be to handle it just like they do for anyone who buys drinks by the glass.  Do not include the tip in the package and then apply the 18% tip to each drink ordered.  

If a server comes to my table I will tip him/her at the end of my stay and the amount will depend on how many people are in my party vs just me. They are providing a service. If I have to walk up to the bar wait in line for someone to pour a drink he's not getting a tip unless he/she provide a service . The service can be something like I order a Vodka Martini and he suggests a top shelf vodka instead of just making it with a well brand. As far as the people behind the scenes, they have to start at the bottom and work their way up just like the rest of the staff if they want a bigger piece of the pie. The tipping system is broken even on land since it's based on the % of the sale. You are providing the same service whether you are serving an english muffin and coffee or a steak and a soda. Just because someone only orders an english muffin and coffee doesn't mean that the table will turn over faster than the steak and soda table.  I've see people in the diner milk a cup of coffee with several refills while reading the paper. Meanwhile I order a complete breakfast and I'm done before them.

Edited by Iamcruzin

On 1/2/2019 at 12:47 PM, spookwife said:

unless you are only drinking singles( glass of wine, straight  hard stuff, etc).. why do you think it is not warranted?   they must  assemble the drink,  make sure there are clean glasses and the  extra like olives at hand and  THEY are doing the work.. not you.

I don't get packages, too much temptation, but I thought 18%was added to the package price, why do you  need to tip on top of that? 

7 minutes ago, sgmn said:

I don't get packages, too much temptation, but I thought 18%was added to the package price, why do you  need to tip on top of that? 

It is added to the package price.

Some people like to tip more.  Which is fine, until a select few get "preachy" about it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have seen prices quoted here for the drink package that range from $38 dollars a day to $70 a day. On $38 dollars a day the tip is $6.84  on $70 dollars a day the tip is $12.60.  I would say that $50 is the average price of the drink package with the tip being $9 a day. If I drink 9 drinks a day that's a dollar a drink tip. I really don't think anymore should be applied for someone who is just doing their job and pouring the drink.  Most of the drinks are premixed and all they do is push a button on the blender. The issue is service. People forget that the tip is based on going above and beyond not just doing your job.  Handing out a receipt   so you can be tipped out is just absurd. Furthermore it takes just as much effort to pour a drink for someone who has paid $38 for the package as it does for someone who paid $70. Therefore the difference is averaged in for the total tip amount. I realize that it's a different world from when I grew up. Today everyone is winner and gets a prize for just participating. Yes this a great self esteem builder but just creates lack of pride and a sense of entitlement. That's what that receipt represents to me. I also despise how some here on CC suggest that only the cruise staff work hard for their money and the passengers don't. So unless someone goes above or beyond for me they will just get the gratuity that the cruise line has established and the staff has contracted for.

AMEN!!

30 minutes ago, sgmn said:

That’s exactly my point as well, I paid the tip already, not tipping again. If I’m at a land based establishment and have a few drinks at the bar, pay with my credit card, add a tip on the receipt; I sure as heck don’t go ahead and throw some cash on the bar!!

8 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

That’s exactly my point as well, I paid the tip already, not tipping again. If I’m at a land based establishment and have a few drinks at the bar, pay with my credit card, add a tip on the receipt; I sure as heck don’t go ahead and throw some cash on the bar!!

Not even the same.  The point is if you are drinking more than the beverage package amount then NO you have not tipped.  The tip maxes out when you max out the minimum of the drink package.  My point is if I know I am going over the package I will tip extra.  But then again I also believe they should be tipped the 18% and not $1 per drink.

21 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

How many people do you honestly think drink less than the package amount?  

I would bet most people drink less than the package amount.  That's how the cruise line maximizes their profit on the package.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Not even the same.  The point is if you are drinking more than the beverage package amount then NO you have not tipped.  The tip maxes out when you max out the minimum of the drink package.  My point is if I know I am going over the package I will tip extra.  But then again I also believe they should be tipped the 18% and not $1 per drink.

Sorry but I disagree, and that’s OK. I have an agreement with the cruise line. I pay them $X and in return THEY say I can drink all I want, and that gratuities are paid for, they don’t say “your gratuities are paid up to Y number of drinks”

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I would bet most people drink less than the package amount.  That's how the cruise line maximizes their profit on the package.

Then there are a lot of ... how do I say this without insulting all those people..  I could see someone buying it once and not using it to the max but why would anyone continue to do that?  It isn't that much more convenient.

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I also despise how some here on CC suggest that only the cruise staff work hard for their money and the passengers don't. So unless someone goes above or beyond for me they will just get the gratuity that the cruise line has established and the staff has contracted for.

Now you've gone and done it. Now someone is bound to give you a lecture on how you should just be thankful that you can afford to take a cruise.😉😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1