Government Shutdown

29 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I read an article in the paper today stating TSA agents calling in sick will begin to be listed as “furloughed” for those days and will not receive back pay.  

That's how it will work.  You can't take sick leave when you're an exempted employee.  If you can't come to work, you have to be furloughed that day.  It requires paperwork that will go in their file.  Trying to abuse sick leave is a big gamble because it can get you fired or even prosecuted.  

That said, chances are, they'll still get paid for those furlough days.  That is, if they get away with this and still have a job.  

16 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

That's how it will work.  You can't take sick leave when you're an exempted employee.  If you can't come to work, you have to be furloughed that day.  It requires paperwork that will go in their file.  Trying to abuse sick leave is a big gamble because it can get you fired or even prosecuted.  

That said, chances are, they'll still get paid for those furlough days.  That is, if they get away with this and still have a job.  

Interesting 

thanks 

22 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Hope they don't call in sick like TSA personnel.

If they do they will not get reimbursed for taking SL if back pay is authorized when the shut down is over and their agency is funded. SL, AL and CL are not authorized during furloughs. 

6 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yes, sorry should have said that. I did get that pay period AFTER the shutdown. Though there was no guarantee was going happen. Was during Clinton's Presidency

I retired from Civil Service (DoD/Air Force Civilian/CSRS) in 2014 after 39 + years. In 2013 during sequester we were furloughed for 11 days and did not receive back pay for those 11 days. Our agency allowed us to stretch the 11 days over 11 pay periods. Any furloughs prior to 2013 I worked (no loss time) and I got paid after the furloughs ended. 

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

If they do they will not get reimbursed for taking SL if back pay is authorized when the shut down is over and their agency is funded. SL, AL and CL are not authorized during furloughs. 

I didn't know that.  Hope that also applies to the Customs (CBP), which would have a direct effect on cruises.  we drive so we don't have to deal with TSA.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:54 AM, cruzincanuck said:

We leave this Sunday for Fort Lauderdale.  Air Canada put a bulletin on their website asking passengers flying to the US to arrive 3 hrs prior to the flight to allow sufficient time to pass immigration at the airport.  It is a nice advantage here in Montreal as we do not have to do it once we land in FLL.  We figure we are on vacation so we will simply get to the airport earlier and go with the flow.

For disembarkation, we have the mobile passport app so it helped in the past to get into a shorter line.  It may be available for the Miami port.  Check it out

Have a great cruise 🙂

You are lucky you get to clear in Montreal.  I'm sitting here, waiting to go get my wife and kids at FLL after a flight from Europe.  It's been an hour since landing and they are still SITTING ON THE PLANE as the airport can't even get them off yet because it's such a disaster.  Not the first time, either.  So hard to blame the shutdown.  But waiting 3+ hours just to get off the plane and curbside keeps happening.  It's really the worst airport and I can't imagine the shutdown is making it any better....

I retired from Civil Service (DoD/Air Force Civilian/CSRS) in 2014 after 39 + years. In 2013 during sequester we were furloughed for 11 days and did not receive back pay for those 11 days. Our agency allowed us to stretch the 11 days over 11 pay periods. Any furloughs prior to 2013 I worked (no loss time) and I got paid after the furloughs ended. 

Was retired by then, but was getting off a Cruise that week in 2013. As said in earlier post for my 2 shutdown's 1st one worked/unpaid but paid after shutdown was over. 2nd one was sent home for shutdown, think was only 3days for that one... Was DoD/Army/FERS 26yrs Retired/Disabled

Edited by ONECRUISER

9 minutes ago, BNBR said:

You are lucky you get to clear in Montreal.  I'm sitting here, waiting to go get my wife and kids at FLL after a flight from Europe.  It's been an hour since landing and they are still SITTING ON THE PLANE as the airport can't even get them off yet because it's such a disaster.  Not the first time, either.  So hard to blame the shutdown.  But waiting 3+ hours just to get off the plane and curbside keeps happening.  It's really the worst airport and I can't imagine the shutdown is making it any better....

Gosh ..i hope you meet up with them soon.  We were fortunate as immigration did go very well this morning. 1/2 hr wait

8 minutes ago, cruzincanuck said:

Gosh ..i hope you meet up with them soon.  We were fortunate as immigration did go very well this morning. 1/2 hr wait

They are STILL on the plane... Airport refusing to even update the pilots now. Been 90 minutes and not even to the hours and hours of immigration waiting. It's awful and as this has happened before, it will probably be the last time we fly international into FLL. I despise that airport so much, way too much expansion without infrastructure, horribly mismanaged.  We will just make the drive to Miami moving forward and deal with layovers. 

10 minutes ago, BNBR said:

They are STILL on the plane... Airport refusing to even update the pilots now. Been 90 minutes and not even to the hours and hours of immigration waiting. It's awful and as this has happened before, it will probably be the last time we fly international into FLL. I despise that airport so much, way too much expansion without infrastructure, horribly mismanaged.  We will just make the drive to Miami moving forward and deal with layovers. 

Good luck!  Not sure what is going on in FLL tonight!

37 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Sorry, really feel for you. Not great way to end a vacation... Over last 20 yrs FLL always been hit/miss with me even in normal times. Waited hrs get threw Security, couple times line was out the door. 1/3 time have had issues, even Weather can be issue almost yr round with snow issues in the North. Many delays last yr while there. First time fly out we were stuck on Runway, Lightning. Second time was on plane waiting 30min as Air Show was in our way. Was 20yrs ago, looked out the window to see B-2 Bomber fly by...

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

Thanks for posting this.  Hope all government personnel deemed essential (e.g., TSA) know that SL, AL, and CL are not authorized for reimbursement during a shut down.

10 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

Thanks for posting this.  Hope all government personnel deemed essential (e.g., TSA) know that SL, AL, and CL are not authorized for reimbursement during a shut down.

They know as you are briefed on what you can and can't do well before the actual furlough happens. You also sign a letter saying you fully understand the rules for the furlough. 

On 1/5/2019 at 9:50 PM, LisaLisa87 said:

Are you asking just about embarkation ports or all ports? We were in San Juan Christmas Eve and the forts were still open. Now, due to the shutdown, they are closed:

https://www.nps.gov/saju/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

I hope this is resolved soon for everyone's benefit. We'll be in San Juan two weeks from tomorrow.

14 hours ago, davekathy said:

Congress voted to give backpay to everyone during the 2013 furlough so why didn't you get paid?  I was furloughed then and we never missed a check as a couple of days after we came back was our next payday and we got paid.  I actually enjoyed my time off.   I am not furloughed now as we are part of the 75% of the Gov that is funded.  DH is a Federal contractor and he is also funded (both our sons too).  My BIL (contractor) and SIL(Gov) on the other hand fall under Dept of Commerce and are both furloughed. While a PITA, BIL is using PTO and will be able to work that back off after reopening and SIL will get backpay because Congress will vote to give it to them if they haven't already.

On 1/5/2019 at 9:50 PM, LisaLisa87 said:

Are you asking just about embarkation ports or all ports? We were in San Juan Christmas Eve and the forts were still open. Now, due to the shutdown, they are closed:

https://www.nps.gov/saju/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

I also hope that the shut down gets resolved this week.  We will be in San Juan on Jan 12th and we’re planning on visiting the forts.  Guess I will have to look for alternate places to visit.

2 hours ago, BND said:

Congress voted to give backpay to everyone during the 2013 furlough so why didn't you get paid?  I was furloughed then and we never missed a check as a couple of days after we came back was our next payday and we got paid.  I actually enjoyed my time off.   I am not furloughed now as we are part of the 75% of the Gov that is funded.  DH is a Federal contractor and he is also funded (both our sons too).  My BIL (contractor) and SIL(Gov) on the other hand fall under Dept of Commerce and are both furloughed. While a PITA, BIL is using PTO and will be able to work that back off after reopening and SIL will get backpay because Congress will vote to give it to them if they haven't already.

I think he's referring to the administrative furlough (due to the sequester), which is different than a furlough due to a lapse in appropriations.  Under the administrative furlough, agencies had to absorb the sequester cuts in their existing budgets, which some could do easier than others, so some agencies required fewer furlough days but all were unpaid days.

3 hours ago, BND said:

Not true for everyone. There were separate furloughs in 2013 related to the sequestration budget caps that were imposed. Our agency (DoD/Air Force Civilian) fell under those guidelines. Those of us so called lucky ones that fell under the sequester rule did not receive back pay for any of the 11 days of lost time. At least it didn't effect our service comp date. Loving retirement.

Edited by davekathy

44 minutes ago, 2tall said:

I think he's referring to the administrative furlough (due to the sequester), which is different than a furlough due to a lapse in appropriations.  Under the administrative furlough, agencies had to absorb the sequester cuts in their existing budgets, which some could do easier than others, so some agencies required fewer furlough days but all were unpaid days.

You are correct. 

Not true for everyone. There were separate furloughs in 2013 related to the sequestration budget caps that were imposed. Our agency (DoD/Air Force Civilian) fell under those guidelines. Those of us so called lucky ones that fell under the sequester rule did not receive back pay for any of the 11 days of lost time. At least it didn't effect our service comp date. Loving retirement.

Interesting because I worked with DOD/AF  civilians and they were all paid.  In fact, they went back to work earlier than I did.  I didn't go back until the agreement was reached and we all got paid.

I'm retiring in just under 15 months.

Edited by BND

On 1/4/2019 at 12:40 PM, johnjen said:

My situation at first glance isn't affected - normally I am funded (USCIS) but we get paid under Dept of Agriculture for some reason and, THEY are affected, so next payday (Jan 11) MIGHT impact me but I'm fortunate to be having my pay just go into savings. However, this MAY impact me a couple of months out since I use that money for things like.....cruises:classic_blink:

Totally hear you.  Hopefully the shutdown doesn’t last long. 👍

• Like 1