adjoining cabin

Cabot49

So, I leave, with my sister, on the Royal, January 12. I've cruised the Royal before, but this is my sister's first cruise. I'm quite worried as I just realized that I booked an adjoining cabin. Are there any suggestions out there if we find the noise transfer too much from the other cabin?

1 hour ago, Cabot49 said:

So, I leave, with my sister, on the Royal, January 12. I've cruised the Royal before, but this is my sister's first cruise. I'm quite worried as I just realized that I booked an adjoining cabin. Are there any suggestions out there if we find the noise transfer too much from the other cabin?

Do you mean that you'e got a room with a connecting door?  That would be a "connecting" room.  "Adjoining" means next door (no interior door) or immediately across the passageway.

Anyway, regardless of connecting door or not, I've found no difference in noise levels between rooms that connect and rooms that do not.

The biggest factor in the noise level is how noisy the neighbors are.

We had connecting cabins for the first time with our daughter, son-in-law and our 3 1/2 year old granddaughter on the Ruby Princess this past summer.  We had no issue with noise at all.  Before the cruise I was concerned since I too had read some negative reviews.

1 hour ago, Cabot49 said:

Yes, I did mean connecting. I have read other posts that say that noise level was awful and that every spoken word could be heard! Your post is encouraging.

I saw those posts too......

I have seen a couple of recent posts about noise from adjoining rooms. Posters stated that the noise was pretty bad and they could hear everything that was said in the next cabin. This is typical of any cruise cabin or hotel room with a connecting door. We could always hear more noise than we could if there was no door.

Princess didn't have many connecting cabins like this in the past but have added hundreds during the dry dock of several ships over the last couple of years. The new ships seem to have many connecting cabins as well.

I would go out of my way to avoid these if at all possible.

Not sure what Stewart could do.

I just avoid booking cabins with connecting doors. They're shown on the deck plans if you look for them. There's a check box next to where you specify how many passengers. You can also use the box for the number of passengers to avoid cabins that are suitable for 4 people if you want to be sure not to get a cabin with the annoying beds on the walls.

We have been allocated cabins with connecting doors twice as part of a GTY booking.   Once we had neighbours from hell and the other we never heard a peep from our neighbours.   Luck of the draw, but given a choice I would not book one of these cabins.

We were on the Royal last year. We had a mini suite that had a connecting door. We could occasionally hear our neighbors talking and laughing. Most times it didn't bother us but a few times they were quite loud but it never lasted long.  Seemed like it was mostly when they were getting ready to leave in the morning.  We were up anyway so we didn't let it bother us too much. We just turned up the tv:classic_biggrin:.

We were on the Royal last week.  We booked a triple cabin the week after final payment.  As this was a Christmas cruise, there was only one such cabin in the obstructed balcony category: E501, which connects with another triple cabin, E503.  Yes, we could hear the neighbors and their family members/friends, particularly before dinner.  We too would turn up the tv to drone out the commotion next door.  Fortunately, they went to bed early.*  I would not chose a cabin with a connecting door were we to sail on a Royal-class Princess ship in the future, but it didn't ruin our cruise.

* Two years ago we were upgraded to a deluxe obstructed balcony on the same ship.  Cabin E422 turned out to be right above the piano at Crooner's.  THAT was awful compared to the occasional noise from our connecting cabin neighbors this time around.

I'm a little concerned because we have a connecting door on our cruise this spring. But we booked a mini suite, and from what I can tell, ALL mini suites on Ruby Princess have a connecting door to the next room. It doesn't seem like it's possible to book a mini without a connecting door.

I recounted our experience in post 5.  I asked my son and daughter-in-law who were in a cabin (next to his sister's family) that connected with another about their experience.  He said it was a large family (2 parents, 2 kids) but other than occasionally hearing the TV (which has been an infrequent problem for us in non-connecting cabins) there were no issues.

No doubt everyone's experiences depends to a great deal on the consideration of the people on the other side of the door or wall.