Passport HELP from my fellow HAL cruisers

PRProf

First...please don't judge, my bad for not paying attention to my passport expiration date, but I noticed at the last minute that my passport expired five months from my cruise. I have an appointment tomorrow at the Philly passport center for people who leave the country in less than two weeks. I leave for Ft. Lauderdale next Thursday (for Saturday's Oosterdam sailing). Does anyone know if I will  get my passport renewed in time since I have an appointment at the issuing center? If not, a very expensive vacation just went up in smoke.

Would appreciate any help anyone could give.

I am not an expert, but if you are just going on a 7 day or so cruise from FLL and returning to FLL, you don't need a passport; a drivers license will do as long as you don't plan on flying internationally. More info on your trip will help others help you.

I have been on 8 cruises and do not have a passport.

Edited by razzinger
typo

6 minutes ago, razzinger said:

I am not an expert, but if you are just going on a 7 day or so cruise from FLL and returning to FLL, you don't need a passport; a drivers license will do as long as you don't plan on flying internationally. More info on your trip will help others help you.

I have been on 8 cruises and do not have a passport.

NO!  A certified birth certificate and a government issued ID (driver's license is one ) is required.

Also, Holland America requires passports for their cruises (closed loop or not). Check with HAL to see if they would let you board with the birth certificate and ID.

13 minutes ago, YCPProf said:

Just 7 days Razzinger, but I thought you needed a birth certificate to accompany the driver's license? Thanks for your answer.

You are most welcome! And to the comment posted by homassasa after yours, they are incorrect. I called HAL as soon as I saw their post, and HAL rep told me what I told you. It is best to have one, especially in emergency, since you do need one to fly home if something happened in another country. I just don't believe the added expense to rush to renew is worth it.

4 minutes ago, razzinger said:

You are most welcome! And to the comment posted by homassasa after yours, they are incorrect. I called HAL as soon as I saw their post, and HAL rep told me what I told you. It is best to have one, especially in emergency, since you do need one to fly home if something happened in another country. I just don't believe the added expense to rush to renew is worth it.

Thanks again...I'm close to Philly so I am going to go to the appointment. According to the State Department's website it's an extra $60.00 in addition to regular renewal fees. I did notice, however, that some of the companies that offer to do it quickly are very expensive - $400.00 and up. I called the number on the State Department's website and was told that they will "work with me" to expedite my passport in time for my departure. He also said that dependent on how busy they are, I may even be able to get same day (but I personally highly doubt that will happen). I just wondered if anyone else had experience going directly to a passport center, and how long it took.

25 minutes ago, razzinger said:

Have you ever booked a HAL cruise? 

We have taken two closed loop HAL cruises in the last year and a passport was required by HAL for both of them.

While there is a lot of verbiage out there about birth certificates, government IDs and passports from HAL, the change to requiring a passport for all the cruises is a new one by HAL.

I am not sure a telephone representative is the best source for this type of information and I sure wouldn't trust that information if my cruise confirmation told me a passport was required.

I am sure that the OP also received the same passport requirement statement from HAL when his cruise was booked. 

Yes I have! My travel agent of 30+yrs and the HAL document web page confirm that you or I nor millions of other US citizens, do not need a passport to take a closed loop cruise, leaving from the USA, that returns to the same port. It is recommended, but not required by HAL or the USA! My Alaska cruise confirmation has the same info. 

I am a checkin agent for HAL at Port Everglades and usually work the Oosterdam  every Saturday. Passport or Drivers License with photo ID are acceptable.  Of course, as others have suggested, if you are ever stranded and must fly home,  Drivers license  is not acceptable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Also, Holland America requires passports for their cruises (closed loop or not). Check with HAL to see if they would let you board with the birth certificate and ID.

Nope.

From the HAL website:  

Holland America Line highly recommends that all guests carry a
passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the completion
date of your travel.

If you're on a closed loop cruise out of a US port (US citizen) minimum legal requirement for travel is a birth certificate and government issued photo ID.  And HAL's website says so:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises: U.S. citizens on cruises in the
Western Hemisphere that originate and terminate in the same U.S.
port are required to have proof of citizenship such as a valid U.S.
passport or a government issued birth certificate combined with a
government issued photo I.D.

Relax, you’ll be just fine!  Please read their website closely making sure you have all the documentation...including your itinerary, and photos, this is very important to get your passport back same day.  You will find these folks are the most helpful government employees around.

Do arrive before doors open, there will be a line but it moves quickly, and if your itinerary shows your departure date is imminent you’ll have your passport back that afternoon.

Having done this myself, in Philadelphia, paying an expeditor is not money well spent-in my opinion.

Here is the Philly specific website on the off chance you have not seen it. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/where-to-apply/passport-agencies/philadelphia.html

Again, you’ll be just fine! Enjoy your cruise. 👍

19 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

But doesn't one need a passport to check in at the airport?   :classic_huh:

Not necessarily.  As long as you have a driver's license, you can check in at US airport.  Yes, that's subject to change, but not until like 2020 (maybe later, can't remember).

It has to do with the newer driver's licenses (Real ID).  Currently there are something like 9 states whose licenses don't meet the requirements.  They have until Oct 1, 2020 date to comply.  If they don't, people in those states will require a passport to fly.

Edited by Shmoo here

3 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Not necessarily.  As long as you have a driver's license, you can check in at US airport.  Yes, that's subject to change, but not until like 2020 (maybe later, can't remember).

It has to do with the newer driver's licenses (Real ID).  Currently there are something like 9 states whose licenses don't meet the requirements.  They have until XXXX date to comply.  If they don't, people in those states will require a passport to fly.

Oh, ok.

I always used my passport whenever I flew, even for domestic flights. Never had the courage to try checking in for a flight with my driver's licence.   :classic_blink:😨

1 minute ago, Vic The Parrot said:

Oh, ok.

I always used my passport whenever I flew, even for domestic flights. Never had the courage to try checking in for a flight with my driver's licence.   :classic_blink:😨

I used to use my driver's license for flying.  Until we started flying for cruises.  By then I had a passport and just used that.

But, not because I had to.

5 hours ago, YCPProf said:

First...please don't judge, my bad for not paying attention to my passport expiration date, but I noticed at the last minute that my passport expired five months from my cruise. I have an appointment tomorrow at the Philly passport center for people who leave the country in less than two weeks. I leave for Ft. Lauderdale next Thursday (for Saturday's Oosterdam sailing). Does anyone know if I will  get my passport renewed in time since I have an appointment at the issuing center? If not, a very expensive vacation just went up in smoke.

Would appreciate any help anyone could give.

That is a seven day closed loop cruise from FLL. As long as your passport is valid on the day you return to the US, it doesn't matter when it expires. (I can't tell if it expires five months from now (May 2019) or if it expired five months ago (July 2018). Unless HAL has a specific requirement that everyone has a passport that cruise can be taken with just an official birth certificate and a valid photo ID.

Edited by zqvol

With the government shutdown, is the passport office even open?  I know several years ago some friends drove 3 hours to the airport to interview for global entry only to find out they were shutdown from the closure at the time.

Hi all -

RamblinRisa - appreciate the Philly specific information!

Rothbury - yes, thank heavens the passport offices are still open!

BrightyB - most appreciative for the info from a HAL checkin agent.

Zqvol - it expires in May 2019.

Thank you EVERYONE for the info...as I said before, I didn't check my passport because HAL already had it on file, so I didn't have to enter it in online check-in. It wasn't until last week that I said "unh-oh" when I looked at it, and realized that it was set to expire in May 2019. I have another international trip in February, so I'm just going to go to my appointment and get it taken care of, and it sounds like I have a good chance to get it in one day.

Really appreciate everyone's help, and also appreciate all the other info that I read on the boards.