7 Nights 1 Carry On

Ilovesailaway

I have decided to challenge my packing abilities for my upcoming 7 night cruise and only bring a carry on bag and laptop / messenger bag. I will not be checking a bag. I will be including one suit and 2 dress shirts and ties for formal dinners. I think it will be an interesting challenge and I look forward to it lol.

The main reason I am not checking a bag is because one of my flights is a continuation flight. Several passengers get off to switch planes but I remain on board, I can only imagine where my checked luggage would end up in that scenario.

These are the random thoughts and last minute details I love to obsess about as my cruise rapidly approaches. 

Any one else pack this lite for a one week cruise? Any tips I should keep in mind?

A more appropriate board to post this is the Ask a Cruise Question board:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/69-ask-a-cruise-question/.

Two of my siblings and their spouses travel routinely with only a carry-on (even to Alaska that requires a wide range of clothing) but we all cruise on Princess which has self service laundries on each deck. 

11 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

I have decided to challenge my packing abilities for my upcoming 7 night cruise and only bring a carry on bag and laptop / messenger bag. I will not be checking a bag. I will be including one suit and 2 dress shirts and ties for formal dinners. I think it will be an interesting challenge and I look forward to it lol.

The main reason I am not checking a bag is because one of my flights is a continuation flight. Several passengers get off to switch planes but I remain on board, I can only imagine where my checked luggage would end up in that scenario.

These are the random thoughts and last minute details I love to obsess about as my cruise rapidly approaches. 

Any one else pack this lite for a one week cruise? Any tips I should keep in mind?

I could never do it, but lots of cruisers are fine with only a carry on. We met two people on a 14 day cruise who only brought carry ones with them. If your worried about mis-handled luggage, you are allowed one carry on and a personal carry on that goes under the seat. We sometimes bring a backpack, fits nicely.

There's also a lot of conversation about this topic on the Cruise Fashions and Beauty board.

Also, I imagine that if you were to check luggage, your luggage would remain on the plane and arrive with you at your destination. But if you're more comfortable doing just a carry-on, go for it.

We only do carryon for all cruises and land trips..yes..even for our Alaska cruise.

Suggestions are 

A) lay out clothes before hand and make sure every piece of clothing has 3 options for mix and match outfits...my husband hates this part but it works...we can immediately see the duplicates and what is missing as we lay out sea days vs port days vs night time plans.

B) limit shoes to 2 pair and maybe one pair can be left behind after

C) we keep a pile of "last wear" clothes for travel....this includes shirts...pants..but also ...gym clothes....sleep clothes..underwear ....socks...swimsuits....

.anything we are ready to toss when the cruise is over.

this frees up space for the trip home too for souvenirs or just less crammed luggage etc.  These are clothes or shoes still.in good shape but we don't love them anymore and if I  were sorting out my closet these shirts and pants would go in the donate pile.

Other posts I have seen mention buying these types of toss clothes from h&m or walmart but i would find that expensive for every trip.

D) use compression bags to pack..it helps to fit more into the suitcase

E) limit toiletries to travel size and basics only..

Once you get the hang of it each trip gets easier.  And it is amazing how freeing it is to not be overpacking...worrying about luggage...paying extra fees.

My husband freaked out 4 years ago when he started but now he won't travel any other way.  I have been traveling this way for 10 plus years...mostly solo so.I did not want the hassle of luggage alone on planes...trains...etc

F) bring a small bottle of febreeze....good to freshen up clothes after the 1st wearing...etc

I have yet to do any handwash or ship laundry as others suggest.

Linda