Dipping Powder Nails?

Suzanne123

Are you talking about SNS? I did this last year, hearing it was better for your nails. In my experience it wasn't. The powder is still acrylic and damaged the bed of my nail just like regular acrylics do. 

I did love the way they looked though. 

I did this before a 3week land vacation in September. I have good, strong nails & while I loved the look & the fact that they didn’t chip a bit (& I was in salt water most of the time) I likely won’t do them again. My own nails became very rough after, they’re recovering now, but it’s been almost 4 months

I used to have acrylics.  For the last year I have had the SNS.  My regular nails have always been a problem.  They would break and polish would come off within a day.  My nails seem very strong and have gotten much longer with the SNS.  They use the dremel but only to take off the top layer when they soak it and to buff a layer when they apply.  Not on my real nails.  I love it and my nails always look great.

I get that type manicure periodically but just like acrylics or gel polish, when you get it taken off your nails are damaged.  They could look great if you either immediately get another set of dipped nails, or give them time (a month or two) to recover. 

I LOVE my powder dip nails!  I had acrylic nails for 20 years, but got tired of going to the salon every 2 weeks.  So, in June 2018, I started dipping at home after reading a ton of tutorials.  I never drill on my nails and they're much healthier now.  The powder company I use is awesome.  I'll never go back to acrylics.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, rlkubi said:

I used to get acrylics and it was awful for my nails. I have broken and awful nails.  Is powder dip as hard on them?  I would just like to get for my upcoming cruise.  How hard are they to remove?

They have to be soaked in acetone to remove, and sometimes there is still some residue to be scraped off.  I usually go a few rounds of dipped nails and then take a break to let my nails recover.  During the first month after having them removed, the tips are weak and they split/break a lot until a healthier section of nail grows out. 

On 1/23/2019 at 11:43 AM, rlkubi said:

So what about gel?  I would like my nails to look better for the trip.

I've done both gel and dipped, numerous times.  Both allow you to leave the salon with nails that are completely dry, look great, and resist chipping like regular polish.  Both require soaking in acetone to remove and leave nails weak and prone to splitting/peeling/breaking.  Damage isn't permanent, it grows out, but you do have to either get continuous gel/dip manicures back to back to back etc. or allow a lot of time in between for damage to grow out.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Sea Gypsy 2 said:

How does the gel polish hold up on a cruise if you're in the pool now and then? I did the 

powder for several years. I am in the process of letting my nails rest for a while but

thought about getting gel polish for an upcoming cruise.

We usually spend quite a bit of time in the pool and/or hot tub on a cruise, and both gel and dipped nails have been fine; the time spend in the water has had no effect on them.   The issue with both is the damage and appearance of my nails when the gel/dip is removed.

As far as the dremmel goes - quality places should take the time to allow the powder to soak off. Places that are rushing you will dremmel them off, and this is what caused a ton of damage to my nails. I had dip for about 3 months, and noticed that the ends started cracking/breaking frequently. I went ahead and had them removed, and realized it was because my nails had been made impossibly thin.

Love the way they look, but in the future I will make sure the place takes their time to do it properly, and I'll not do multiple times in a row.

I had an acrylic fill done on the Konigsdam, and the girl just used a file and buffed, no dremel!  Nails looked great.  It was $45 + tip, but very gentle.  I spent about twice the price I pay at home.  I would gladly pay the same if I could find someone locally to forego the dremel.

I do the SNS now for a cruise. Two cruises back I had fresh gel manicure and had to have it touched up the day after (port), then again the next day (onboard) and then redone entirely on day 3 onboard (formal night). Never again! The SNS has for me been no more damaging than the gel and without the UV light as a bonus. And it stays forever... seriously forever (I need mine redone tomorrow, but I have a French SNS manicure that I have had for 5 weeks!

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, MaryNewton said:

I make everything gel. Acrylic hurts me a lot.

My sns never involves acrylic- it works fine with natural nails too. I just will never forget that horrible gel experience on that cruise -  it was frustrating, time-consuming, and expensive 😒

3 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

My sns never involves acrylic- it works fine with natural nails too. I just will never forget that horrible gel experience on that cruise -  it was frustrating, time-consuming, and expensive 😒

I've never had an experience like that with gel nails done at my salon at home.  I think the bad experience you had was more a product of the ship than of gel polish in general.  Whether they were using an old or inferior product, or the nail techs weren't properly trained, who knows?!  But I've never had gel nails repeatedly need touch-up or re-done entirely within a day or two ( or even a week or two) of having them done.

6 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

I've never had an experience like that with gel nails done at my salon at home.  I think the bad experience you had was more a product of the ship than of gel polish in general.  Whether they were using an old or inferior product, or the nail techs weren't properly trained, who knows?!  But I've never had gel nails repeatedly need touch-up or re-done entirely within a day or two ( or even a week or two) of having them done.

I am not sure if I somehow did not communicate clearly? The manicure had to be fixed twice and completely redone on the ship. It isn't an issue of me not having experience with them - I have been having gel manicures since they began, I even have the first and second home kits that came out (red carpet and OPI). They normally last 2 weeks or more but you will just have to trust me that when it goes bad, even from a very good salon, it can go very bad. If you had to run all over Ft. Lauderdele to find a touch up place, then pay for a touch up on board and then a full redo, I am pretty sure you would feel the same.

SNS is fool proof and when it's something that important I would rather go SNS than gel.  Yes, it was one bad experience after over 100 or so gel manicures, but it was very bad enough and so from now on I will go for the sure thing when cruising.  Just my preference. I had only mentioned it since someone seemed to think it involved acrylics and that is not necessary so.

13 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

I am not sure if I somehow did not communicate clearly? The manicure had to be fixed twice and completely redone on the ship. It isn't an issue of me not having experience with them -

I understood that.   I simply thought you had had your initial manicure done on the ship and questioned the quality of that manicure.  Plenty of complaints out there about the salons on ships, since their success doesn't rest on repeat business the same way a salon at home would.

I am obsessed with gel nails. They look amazing and shiny all the time and are super strong. Even without gel and going back to "naked nails" they are strong. I think the health of your nails depends a lot on your lifestyle (eating and drinking and having the right nutrients). Of course, using a Dremel to remove ALL the product and thereby nicking or coming into contact with the nailbed would be a big issue. My salon does not do it that way and I have been going there intermittently for the last 15 years (of course gel nails haven't existed that whole time). They use a very fine grade Dremel to just remove the top/shiney part and then use acetone to soak off the rest. If your salon uses a Dremel to get it ALL off, it's time to find a new salon! It doesn't have to be done that way.

• Like 1

Just saw my dermatologist who sees multiple permanent  damages to nails from both gel and SNS and advises all of his patients NOT to use either. Better carry a small bottle of polish to freshen up your manicure than permanently damage your nails.

7 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

I am obsessed with gel nails. They look amazing and shiny all the time and are super strong. Even without gel and going back to "naked nails" they are strong. I think the health of your nails depends a lot on your lifestyle (eating and drinking and having the right nutrients). Of course, using a Dremel to remove ALL the product and thereby nicking or coming into contact with the nailbed would be a big issue. My salon does not do it that way and I have been going there intermittently for the last 15 years (of course gel nails haven't existed that whole time). They use a very fine grade Dremel to just remove the top/shiney part and then use acetone to soak off the rest. If your salon uses a Dremel to get it ALL off, it's time to find a new salon! It doesn't have to be done that way.

Similiar experience...

I get  a gel manicure every two weeks - all year long.  My salon does not use the dremel at all - she just scuffs the top of the polish and we soak for a bit in acetone.  I don't have any problems with the polish chipping, fading, shine disappearing etc  I am not careful about them and I clean, garden, swim/workout and go about my daily activities with abandon.  Ha ha!  On the rare occasion that I do not have the gel manicure, my nails look great and I don't have any problems.

Everyone is different obviously, and it definitely depends on your nails, and the expertise of your nail technician.

Edited by CutieKakes

13 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

I understood that.   I simply thought you had had your initial manicure done on the ship and questioned the quality of that manicure.  Plenty of complaints out there about the salons on ships, since their success doesn't rest on repeat business the same way a salon at home would.

Ah, no, it was the redo that was on the ship. It was quite good (Royal Carib/Allure), but it’s my first on the ship. The gel was peeling off from the original one (at a very good local spa) - it was truly maddening to have to hoof it in the heat of S. Fl to get a repair (and a second on the ship)!