Japan Shore Excursions

Summer Holliday

Hi

Im new to these boards. 

We are due to go on a cruise to Japan in April.  To our surprise, The ship tours are not inspiring, especially in Tokyo.

Can anyone give us the benefit of their experiience here? The custom trip advised by our travel agent cost £500.  Each! 

Thanks 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  As a start, I suggest you visit the Ports of Call board here for Asia and ask about specific activities or ports.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/43-asia/

Second, join the ROLL CALL for your cruise.  This is where you can connect with other CC members on your same cruise.  Since you didn't say what ship/dates you are on, I can't link it for you.  To find your ROLL CALL, go back to the main boards page, scroll down to ROLL CALLS, find your cruise line, then your ship, and look for a thread with the dates for your cruise.  Do NOT use the Find Your Roll Call tool, as often the person starting the roll call does not use the proper date format and the tool cannot pick it up.  EM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

In addition to the CC resources, you can do additional research on Tripadvisor and Tours by Locals website

We've had excellent experiences with TripAdvisor private guides, with cruise and land vacations.

But we only deal with individuals with whom we can communicate (email usually) directly, so we are clear about what they offer/what we want, etc.

That is, we do NOT deal with consolidators or groups who hand out the connections to whoever is next on the list (or other methodology).

We also do look at reviews, and generally disregard the very worst, especially if there aren't many, UNLESS there are several who mention the same or similar problems, in which case, that one is *out*.

GC

Might I guess that you are on one of Azamara Japan cruises. 

If so, check on the Roll Call for possible tours.  I found that the tours offered by Azamara were over priced and over lousy so I set up my own tours.  

Regardless of your ship, you might have to set up your own tours.  

DON

Japan is an expensive country to visit, especially compared to many other Asian countries. Check out TripAdvisor for any of the tours you may be interested in for your ports (comparative to that being offered by the ship)and read the reviews. They may be worth contacting direct.

No worries, check where the ship docks and how far it is into the areas you want to visit. Often a ship's tour is worth while, but other times their is a shuttle provided by the city. Maybe check your roll call and also previous rollcalls with similar itineraries as well.

There are other options beyond cruise ship excursions.  In the case of Tokyo, or just about anywhere in Japan, one can simply go off and do their own thing.  Depending on your ship's actual docking area you can likely walk to a train station and get an inexpensive train into Tokyo where you can use other trains, such as the Yamato Line or the subway to get to any part of the huge city.   Limiting one's self to cruise line excursions is, indeed, very limiting.

Hank

7 hours ago, Summer Holliday said:

as our time is limited, and all the places unfamiliar, I was hoping that previous cruisers would have some specific suggestions.

It would help if you offered some specific information and preferences -- what is it about the offerings you don't like, and are you docking in Tokyo or Yokohama?   Are you looking for a more focused type of excursion?  A walking tour?  A food tour?  Do you want to see religious sites or modern architecture?  Do you want to spend your day shopping and at the spa, or riding in a bus to see as much as possible in a short time?

A DIY trip would be fairly easy if you have access to the trains. The train system is cheap and easy, it also provides access to the many temples, shrines and gardens around Tokyo, although not having an English interpreter may mean you get no background as you would with a guide.