Will Symphony really have *that* much more than the remodeled Oasis?

MaiseyM

My family has sailed Oasis 1 time, Harmony 2x.  I really want to sail Symphony next, which would be during Christmas, 2020.   At this point, the Oasis ship will have been redone/dry docked/ AMP (what is the right word for this??🤪).  In some respects, Oasis will be (I think) new as well, as it will have been amped.    I am comparing prices and room options for my party of five between Oasis and Symphony.  Not surprisingly, Symphony is going to cost more.  

I was told in another thread that the new Oasis is likely to have the following changes.

Jamies Italian to replace Giovanni’s 

Playmakers to replace Sabor

some type of waterslide 

Addition of Hooked and Wonderland

Escape room

El loco Fresh to replace wipeout cafe

I don't mind spending more for Symphony if there is something significantly different than the redone Oasis.  In fact, I am almost looking for something to convince me to book Symphony that makes it worth the extra spending.  The only thing I can use to justify the extra expense at this time is that it's new and I have never sailed her before.  While that's all nice, I don't know if it's worth spending a few thousand more and possibly downgrading rooms to make her fit in my price range.  Is there something extra that Symphony is likely to have?  Will Oasis look 'tired' after the remodel?  I like the newer and updated rooms.  I don't know if that is a selling point for Symphony.   

Symphony and Oasis have the same ports to visit as well, so this has no bearing on my decision. 

If you have sailed both, do you have any insight on this?   I am inclined to go with Oasis because I just can't see what Symphony has that is above and beyond what I can expect with Oasis.  I know we won't know what Oasis will have with certainty until later but need to book soon.

3 minutes ago, MaiseyM said:

My family has sailed Oasis 1 time, Harmony 2x.  I really want to sail Symphony next, which would be during Christmas, 2020.   At this point, the Oasis ship will have been redone/dry docked/ AMP (what is the right word for this??🤪).  In some respects, Oasis will be (I think) new as well, as it will have been amped.    I am comparing prices and room options for my party of five between Oasis and Symphony.  Not surprisingly, Symphony is going to cost more.  

I was told in another thread that the new Oasis is likely to have the following changes.

Jamies Italian to replace Giovanni’s 

Playmakers to replace Sabor

some type of waterslide 

Addition of Hooked and Wonderland

Escape room

El loco Fresh to replace wipeout cafe

I don't mind spending more for Symphony if there is something significantly different than the redone Oasis.  In fact, I am almost looking for something to convince me to book Symphony that makes it worth the extra spending.  The only thing I can use to justify the extra expense at this time is that it's new and I have never sailed her before.  While that's all nice, I don't know if it's worth spending a few thousand more and possibly downgrading rooms to make her fit in my price range.  Is there something extra that Symphony is likely to have?  Will Oasis look 'tired' after the remodel?  I like the newer and updated rooms.  I don't know if that is a selling point for Symphony.   

Symphony and Oasis have the same ports to visit as well, so this has no bearing on my decision. 

If you have sailed both, do you have any insight on this?   I am inclined to go with Oasis because I just can't see what Symphony has that is above and beyond what I can expect with Oasis.  I know we won't know what Oasis will have with certainty until later but need to book soon.

I am booked on Oasis for Christmas 2019 and Allure for 2020 because they will both be fresh out of drydock and have most of the features of Symphony an a greatly reduced price.

The one thing that Oasis and Allure won’t have will be the updated staterooms.

7 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Shows will still be different.

I sailed Oasis when the show was Cats.  Do you think the shows are likely to be better on Symphony? I would think so, but I also think that Oasis, still being in Oasis class, will still have some of the better shows across the fleet.  Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Where is Oasis sailing from then?

Symphony:  Miami

Oasis :  FLL 

Both of which will cost the same to get to.  When we have stayed in FLL (all 3 times) we pretty much stay /swim at the hotel, shop for last minute stuff, and go out to eat.  We don't make any big 'tours' out of the city.  If we stay in Miami this time, we may look around a little bit, but Miami vs. FLL isn't going to be a deciding factor.  

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I am booked on Oasis for Christmas 2019 and Allure for 2020 because they will both be fresh out of drydock and have most of the features of Symphony an a greatly reduced price.

The one thing that Oasis and Allure won’t have will be the updated staterooms.

Thanks.  I was wondering:  Is it a 'for sure' thing that Allure is being redone as well?  

Also, I was wondering if the staterooms were going to look like they did when I sailed her in 2016.  Granted, it's only 4 years later, but I tend to notice and like the sparkly objects (newer updated rooms).  😉

There is also a chance that Cats could be replaced with something else. 

Rooms will most likely not be touched, besides needed maintenance. If a new room is important, go with Symphony. 

Yes, Allure is also definitely getting "Amped" in 2020.

I love Miami and would go there instead of Fort Lauderdale in a heartbeat. 

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, MaiseyM said:

I sailed Oasis when the show was Cats.  Do you think the shows are likely to be better on Symphony? I would think so, but I also think that Oasis, still being in Oasis class, will still have some of the better shows across the fleet.  Thoughts?

"Better" is subjective.   All we know for sure is that the shows will be different.

13 minutes ago, MaiseyM said:

Thanks.  I was wondering:  Is it a 'for sure' thing that Allure is being redone as well?  

Also, I was wondering if the staterooms were going to look like they did when I sailed her in 2016.  Granted, it's only 4 years later, but I tend to notice and like the sparkly objects (newer updated rooms).  😉

Yes Allure will be redone. It has already been announced that she will be "amped" in 2020 

The rooms will look the same. 

2 minutes ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Will the "new" Oasis be going to Perfect Day or Labadee?  Any of the cruises I've been looking at Oasis doesn't go to Perfect Day.?

Oasis and her sisters will start going to Cococay next year.

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Oasis and her sisters will start going to Cococay next year.

I'm looking at Oasis right now for Feb-Apr 2020 and it's Labadee. Allure will be going to Perfect Day though.

Edit to add: If you are looking at December 2020, by then Oasis will be at Perfect Day!

Edited by ilovetotravel1977

Concerning the staterooms they might replace the TV's given they are 10 years old, well flat screen to flat screen. Possibly new carpets but that will be it. 

I though also the Ultimate Abyss slide will be installed?              

Just off the Symphony...loved several things that others won't have.  The new style staterooms were excellent.  Two closets, one all hanging space and one with hanging and shelf spaces.  The bed might be between them.  The other is the shows -- Hairspray was fabulous and Flight was very different.  Only thing I did not care for was the Aqua show.  The ice shows were very creative.

I would go on Symphony again in a minute. 

Edited by Trainer
  • Like 1

Yes to Coco Cay.  This was one of the things we were looking for.  Labadee is nice, but we have been there 3 times.  More importantly, both ships have newer ports we haven't been to yet.  

We currently have Symphony this December (2019) booked; we did this on Next Cruise.  When I came home and had given it more thought, I decided that I would rather go a year later (2020) to give more time to pay off the entire vacation (because we all know it's never just the cost of the cruise you have to plan for).  Not to mention, I can save a significant amount if I book two years from now, rather than 12 months from now. I have a little time left (less than 30 days) before I get charged for changing reservations.  I plan on changing before I get charged.  

11 minutes ago, Trainer said:

Just off the Symphony...loved several things that others won't have.  The new style staterooms were excellent.  Two closets, one all hanging space and one with hanging and shelf spaces.  The bed is between them.  The other is the shows -- Hairspray was fabulous and Flight was very different.  Only thing I did not care for was the Aqua show.  The ice shows were very creative.

I would go on Symphony again in a minute. 

Thanks!  

13 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Concerning the staterooms they might replace the TV's given they are 10 years old, well flat screen to flat screen. Possibly new carpets but that will be it. 

I was wondering about the Ultimate Abyss.  My teens didn't use it as much as they did 2 years ago, but it's a nice option.

14 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Wonder if they'll keep the Abyss to just Harmony and Symphony as many complain it blocks the Aqua theatre and water views?

How are the itineraries?  I'd sail in a lesser cabin (than Oasis) and hope an after final payment drop in price (if they find holiday sailings overpriced and later need to drop) to bring the price in line if that helped.  

Not seeing the same shows over again would be a huge perk to me.

14 minutes ago, SAmome said:

How are the itineraries?  I'd sail in a lesser cabin (than Oasis) and hope an after final payment drop in price (if they find holiday sailings overpriced and later need to drop) to bring the price in line if that helped.  

Not seeing the same shows over again would be a huge perk to me.

I just looked.  I guess I'm surprised they are still playing Cats.  I guess I should count on them playing that again unless I hear otherwise.  The itineraries are the same for both ships. Different originating cities and different days, but same ports.

We have done transatlantics on Oasis, Allure, and Symphony.  Got back from the Symphony TA last month and just booked the Allure TA for 2020. Can't say why but Allure is our favorite ship so far.  I liked the cabin layout much better on Allure. All 3 cruises we had OV balcony cabins in the same location on deck 12.   Diamond lounge on Allure was awesome, but after the refurb it will become Wonderland.  Sea you in 2020. happy cruising. PS: great prices right now for the 2020 TA sailing,  booked a 2c deck 12 on the second hump for $2631 total for 2, plus 200 in OBC from the online TA we use. 

1 hour ago, MaiseyM said:

I just looked.  I guess I'm surprised they are still playing Cats.  I guess I should count on them playing that again unless I hear otherwise.  The itineraries are the same for both ships. Different originating cities and different days, but same ports.

Cats will most likely be changed at the drydock this fall.