Government shut down - will this affect my cruise in 12 days?

sprockie

1 minute ago, Homosassa said:

Are you aware that Amtrak receives much of its operating money from federal funding?

If there is no one at work to pay out the funds, Amtrak may have a problem.

Amtrak is funded and not in imminent danger of being shut down. 

If the shut down continues and if TSA agents continue to call in sick or just walk off the job then you better be planning for additional time to get through security. This would be of particular concern if you have a early morning flight booked to get home with an already tight time frame.  Also airports might be forced to consolidate flight arrivals and departures to  fewer and/or different terminals/concourses due to TSA agent shortages; which means you need to pay close attention to any flight changes for your trip. Just today Miami Airport announced it will be closing Terminal G early this weekend. 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/article224281915.html

On 1/9/2019 at 3:28 PM, sail7seas said:

I read some Federal  workers are applying for unemployment   in their   various states   I wonder how many  applications are approved.

They are allowed to do that.  Only thing is, if they receive full compensation after the shutdown, they'll have to pay back whatever they received.  

Miami International Airport has closed one terminal due to a large number of TSA agents who are calling in sick. If you are flying in and out of Miami during the shut down, you may experience delays according news articles today (1/11).

On 1/11/2019 at 11:07 PM, slidergirl said:

And, do not forget those who work as contractors for the currently shutdown agencies.  Everyone from janitorial to PhDs.  Being contractors, they will receive no back pay.  

On 1/11/2019 at 3:59 PM, sail7seas said:

image.png.ef7014d5aaf78cfbf9dcd881fe31a9d4.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Yes that is quite  accurate.

Edited by sail7seas

Houston is now shutting down a TSA check point as well due to lack of staff 

Warnings that the same may happen at other airports.

I’m afraid travel is getting more and more complicated due to this shut down. 😞

Locally, meaning San Antonio International, there hasn’t been much impact.  Of course San Antonio is not a major hub like Dallas or Atlanta so you’d not expect too many long lines, etc.   I did notice that Houston has had to close down the checkpoints in one terminal to consolidate the available TSA agents/officers to man the security checkpoints.   Houston still isn’t a major hub but certainly bigger than San Antonio and truly has long range International flights.  I haven’t seen reports from the major hubs like Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, et al.

31 minutes ago, sprockie said:

Thankfully we'll only have delays on the way back from FLL.  Flying from Canada so we won't be affected on the way down.  Also thankful I booked the 3:13 flight on the way back instead of the 11:00am!

Might affect your US customs/immigration - but, hopefully not too long a delay.

Have a great cruise 🙂 

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Might affect your US customs/immigration - but, hopefully not too long a delay.

Have a great cruise 🙂 

My understanding is that customs and immigration are not affected, just TSA no?

31 minutes ago, sprockie said:

My understanding is that customs and immigration are not affected, just TSA no?

I’m honestly not 100% sure, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them slowing things down due to unhappiness with the entire situation.  Call me a cynic 😉 

On 1/9/2019 at 2:55 AM, Djptcp said:

DH works part-time for the cruise lines at one of the FL ports (checking in passengers, etc). When he worked last weekend, they were short about 15 Homeland Security agents (half of the usual 30) and more private security agents had to be called in. It slowed things down somewhat. FYI, no one boards the ships until Homeland Security says so - passengers sometimes blame the cruise line if they are kept waiting to board, but it's HS not the cruise line's fault.

We arrived into Ft Lauderdale yesterday (Sunday) on Koningsdam and we were delayed approval to dock by 45 mins...captain said it had never happened before...ppl on board weren't happy and were yelling at HAL staff.  So sad.

We arrived into Ft Lauderdale yesterday (Sunday) on Koningsdam and we were delayed approval to dock by 45 mins...captain said it had never happened before...ppl on board weren't happy and were yelling at HAL staff.  So sad.

I’m on the Konigsdam today, and to be fair, yesterday there were 8 cruise ships in port.  I’m surprised the delay was only 45 minutes.  

The 10 minute cab ride from Embassy Suites took almost a half hour in traffic.

• Like 2

We arrived yesterday into FLL on Nieuw Statendam.  We were docked before 7 a.m. and Expedited were being called off around 7:30.  We were in the first Group after that for the 4 & 5 Stars and were off the Ship by 8:10 a.m.  We had no lines to speak  of in the Terminal and the Customs Agent was very pleasant.  It was an easy-peasy Debark.  

At FLL Airport we have TSA Precheck and again no lines to speak of but I did get randomly selected for a "Pat Down".  Quite an interesting one, too, with Butt and Groin the targets!  First time that ever happened and like many of you here we do multi-International and Domestic Travel yearly.  

22 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

We arrived into Ft Lauderdale yesterday (Sunday) on Koningsdam and we were delayed approval to dock by 45 mins...captain said it had never happened before...ppl on board weren't happy and were yelling at HAL staff.  So sad.

I’m on the Konigsdam today, and to be fair, yesterday there were 8 cruise ships in port.  I’m surprised the delay was only 45 minutes.  

The 10 minute cab ride from Embassy Suites took almost a half hour in traffic.

At the Koningsdam terminal 25 they were short two border agents. Late departures (Black 1, Black 2 Yellow etc) were all called at the same time 10:30 am, 45 minutes late. Calling all at the same time caused a gong show in the luggage and customs. Ship just wanted everyone off so it could be cleared for next cruise. Terminal agents not too happy about that. We got off at 10:30 and it took an hour to get through customs. We walked around the corner to NDam and were on board within 20 minutes.

Boston's local  net work news this  evening reported clearing Security in Logan airport has been averaging ten minutes this week.

image.png.3e6608c33166c5f66de22319f24f166c.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas
  • Thanks 1

My dh said he read today that despite everything Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), the USA's busiest airport, was clearing folks at an average of 15 mins. That's dadgum good for an airport that moves 103 million folks through it's doors every year even without any other issues. They are still recommending arrival AT THE SECURITY GATES 2 hours prior to domestic and 3 hours prior to international.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, idiebabe said:

We arrived yesterday into FLL on Nieuw Statendam.  We were docked before 7 a.m. and Expedited were being called off around 7:30.  We were in the first Group after that for the 4 & 5 Stars and were off the Ship by 8:10 a.m.  We had no lines to speak  of in the Terminal and the Customs Agent was very pleasant.  It was an easy-peasy Debark.  

At FLL Airport we have TSA Precheck and again no lines to speak of but I did get randomly selected for a "Pat Down".  Quite an interesting one, too, with Butt and Groin the targets!  First time that ever happened and like many of you here we do multi-International and Domestic Travel yearly.  

How do you get or register for TSA Precheck?

We applied and then made an appointment on line to bring our documents to a local office.  It was easy!

I'd go with Global Entry if you are going to do any international travel. Same basic procedure, just a little bit more expensive. It includes TSA Pre Check
  • Like 2