Dress code

lujaha

Just booked our first P&O cruise having done lots with Norwegian mainly, and Royal Caribbean and Princess.  I did not realise that the dress code on P&O is enforced in so many places, apart from the usual main restaurants as per the other cruises we have been on.  My husband has his tux, but usually ends up taking it off after dinner, and he isn't to happy that he will have to wear it in the bars as well!  For me I don't have dresses (well none that fit these days) and my "dressy" outfit would be black trousers, some with a bit of sparkle, and sparkly tops, of which I have several.  I went shopping yesterday and find that none of the shops have any evening wear, although they were of course full of it before Xmas.  But I didn't know we were going on the cruise then.  Cruise is 27th Feb.  I will continue to try and get a dress or 2, but if not will I stand out for not wearing a dress?

... you don’t say which ship you are booked on, as members could give you more precise advice on ‘black tie please’ bars.  However, please don’t be too concerned - there are plenty of watering-holes with more relaxed dress codes for your husband, if he wants to change.  

Your clothing choice sounds just fine.

Don’t stress.  Relax and look forward to it.  

We have sailed with PO and chose not to dress up we had smart  clothes for evening g we used the buffet restaurant then  the pub (can't remember name) and went to see the show no problems only a couple of place you can't go .

What your looking at wearing will be fine for black tie /formal nights you get a mixture of what people wear .

Have a good cruise

Black trousers and a nice top is just fine. I have never worn a dress on any formal night ( Rupert is female by the way) and never had any problems getting into any venue on any ship! My husband does wear a tux  but that is his choice, as long as you have got a nice dark jacket with shirt and tie for the MDR and Crows Nest there won't be a problem. Stop worrying and have a fab time!,

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your replies.  Hubby has a tux, but not  a dark suit.  I am going to the shops later and will have a last look for dresses.  If not I will not worry.  Going on Aurora northern lights cruise.  Super excited, never been anywhere like this before.  Busy buying thermals etc.

The dress code on Aurora is more closely adhered to than on the larger ships but trousers and sparkly tops will be fine. It's a wonderful cruise  - hope the lights perform for you.

• Like 1

Don't worry if you haven't got a dress anyway but if you're still looking there are lots of amazing sales online. Try Roman Originals or Quiz or Debenhams, and I'm sure other people could recommend different ones. Just order a few to try on and make sure it includes free returns. 

• Like 1

I really am not being remotely judgmental here but this post does highlight how important it is for everyone to research their holiday/cruise well before deciding to book.  All cruise lines are not the same.  I hope you have a really wonderful time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tartanexile81 said:

Don't worry if you haven't got a dress anyway but if you're still looking there are lots of amazing sales online. Try Roman Originals or Quiz or Debenhams, and I'm sure other people could recommend different ones. Just order a few to try on and make sure it includes free returns. 

Thanks.  Nothing I liked on line.  At a difficult age for long dresses, don't want to look like "mutton".  Lots of tight fitting ones, not suitable for my figure.  Not to mention the amount we have just spent on thermals, boots etc. for the cold.  So unless I see something in Malta, when we go in a couple of weeks, I'm going to stick with what I am comfortable in.

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I really am not being remotely judgmental here but this post does highlight how important it is for everyone to research their holiday/cruise well before deciding to book.  All cruise lines are not the same.  I hope you have a really wonderful time.

We have friends who go on P&O so I knew it was more formal than the others I have been on.  The only thing I didn't realise was the restriction on bars and public places.  The itinerary and price were the things we chose the cruise for and we literally got the last cabin available.  The next day they took the cruise off.  Would I have not booked if I had known the above?  Well, I would have still gone ahead, so excited, it sounds amazing.  I think we will have an amazing time.