Overnight stay in Athens

cojomo

Just trying to work out where to stay overnight in Athens (1 night) before departing on cruise the next day. My ideas are either at the Airport, near the port or in the centre of Athens. Our flight arrives late afternoon.

If you've been to Athens before I'd recommend just staying at the Sofitel Airport Hotel and then taking a taxi to the port the next morning. If you've never been I'd spend the night at the Grande Bretagne, have a nice dinner and take a short tour of the city the next morning before heading to Piraeus. It'd be a shame not to see the Acropolis for a first timer.

• Like 1

Many thanks wripro, the Grande Bretagne seems like a good choice. This is our first cruise and so I am wondering what time we would need to board and so how much time we would have for a short Athens tour?

Grande Bretagne  is an excellent choice-- Don't miss breakfast up on the roof!  The thermal suite spa is a great spot for unwinding. Accommodations wise for just a night you can't go wrong with any of their rooms, but a butler room on the Square is a nice treat.  With all that said, if your tastes run more towards contemporary lux, the King George, literally next door is a nice spot as well.

With time being somewhat short, I'd highly recommend the museum of Cycladic Art, about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.  It's one of my favorite collections in the world and won't take you long to visit.

A friend and I did one night at Grand Bretagne and a morning three hour private Acropolis tour in the same reserved car that took us to the port  ( walk up with a guide, hear info, take pictures, and then walk down) , the night before a SB cruise 3 years ago.  It was my second time to Athens and it was very hot and humid, ,  and AC in the car post Acropolis was malfunctioning (with the driver pretending it worked as he had been prepaid a lot of money for a car with AC) , so that was enough for me.  We headed for the Odyssey with its AC and lunch as soon as we could, i.e., 12 pm.  Had I not been there before, I would have tried harder to get a new car with AC to see a bit more.

My first trip I had stayed at the Sofitel at the airport before leaving on a pre-dawn flight, it was very nice, nice restaurant,  but at the airport.

Usually you have to be on board no later than two hours before sailing, sometimes sooner, check your paperwork carefully and allow time for traffic.

Be sure and make a reservation for dinner in the rooftop restaurant at Grand Bretagne, it was popular because food and service were very good ( though expensive), chairs were comfortable, and the Acropolis is visible illuminated at night, beautiful (people did a lot of selfies partially blocking view.)

Other than the restaurant  I was not impressed with the GB.  It did not seem luxurious, rooms were expensive but small ( bathroom was lovely, however) .  Hostile and uncouth workers  came when we complained on arrival to the front desk (which was hard to get to pick up the phone) ,  that our small balcony door was jammed and deformed and would not open,  and we wanted it fixed,  as I had paid for a balcony, or a partial refund . There was a lot of yelling in Greek for an hour , pounding and jiggling by people who did not seem to know what they were doing, and  then only a partial, resentful repair.  

Maybe it is worse at other hotels in Athens ( not my favorite city) 24456368-D687-46CD-AE1B-5778167C0A4B.thumb.jpeg.44cbc322c49c23f3580d705d1bfddd24.jpegfor the same money, I do not know.

Many thanks Catlover54 for the insight regarding the Hotel. It looks like a great view from the restaurant although with 14 days of dining to follow on Seabourn, we might opt for something less indulgent.

On 1/13/2019 at 5:16 PM, Corony said:

Electra Palace is also a great option to stay at. It’s right in the heart of the Plaka and within easy walking distance of all the major attractions. We spent 5 nights there and never used a cab. 

Thanks, Corony, for your review.  We have booked this hotel for our May pre-cruise stay, and are glad someone in CC recommends it.

25 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

Thanks, Corony, for your review.  We have booked this hotel for our May pre-cruise stay, and are glad someone in CC recommends it.

We stayed at the Electra Palace before boarding Quest in May ‘14. Lovely hotel, nice location, had a great view from our room and terrace.

we found a fabulous inexpensive restaurant nearby where we ended up eating lunch and dinner each day.

79262761-48D6-49FC-A0A5-F914FAD3D114.jpeg

Edited by SKP946

We are fairly regular vistors to Greece in the past five years either for visiting dear friends or Cruising itineraries.

As we are either going to board a Seabourn ship or a Ferry to Patmos we find it convenient to stay overnight or a day stay when flight don't match up in Pireaus.  The Pireaus Dream City Hotel. It is a smallish hotel, not flash , the reception staff are so welcoming and helpful, typical warm Greek hospitality. The rooms are spacious have super comfy beds, a good bathroom a tasty breakfast and a roof top restaurant with a view plus great service and delicious food. Taxi tariffs are cheap in Greece and we found it quick and easy to go the Plaka, the Museum from Piraeus. The hotel will also organise all your transfers at a modest price.

Otherwise we choose boutique hotels in Athens if staying longer, to be more accessible to our friends location . The Pireaus option would appear to suit your requirements.

Edited by koalapanda

3 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

SKP946, it's great to have another recommendation.  And I especially appreciate your mention of the nearby restaurant.  Of course you will not remember the name, but, was it in the same street?  Any indication will be very helpful!

Camillus112, You’re in luck, I looked back through my photos and found some shots of the restaurant, so I searched on Google Maps and found the following ( I assume its still there and I hope that is still as nice)

AA664822-B503-470C-B4BF-05E448E658FC.jpeg

97AF0F58-7A77-481C-961A-E8E37207FAF2.jpeg

0F3D8926-53D7-413B-B223-1B8503B0F28F.jpeg

AB921062-B73F-44DD-BFA8-1650CD6A4476.jpeg

42BF84B3-C48D-409B-A16F-BA23E855D526.jpeg

6ECACB17-8E9E-4076-9155-34E995FE7341.jpeg

Edited by SKP946

Wow!  How fortunate I am that you took the trouble to identify it and even found photos!!  We will be sure to look it up and hopefully we will make it a favorite stop.  When we travel down to NYC we always make it a point to dine at "Molyvos" on 7th Street, near Carnegie Hall.  Great Greek food!

• 3 weeks later...

A good way to see Athens is to rent a taxi for the day. The driver will take you to all the sites, wait for you by the car while you tour the place and when you are done drop you off at your cruise ship. The cost is reasonable less than $200 when we did it 4 year ago. Stay at a downtown hotel  like the King George or Grand Bretagne. Have fun

Thanks, Marazul, wdpmd and Viking, we have stayed at the Grand Bretagne before.  This time, to change it a bit, we will be staying at the Electra Palace...I wonder if someone in this Board can comment on it.  It purports to be 5 *...let's see...

BTW, Marazul, my avatar used to be Ithaca (I moved!) and we communicated for a while.  Gratos saludos!!

18 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

Thanks, Marazul, wdpmd and Viking, we have stayed at the Grand Bretagne before.  This time, to change it a bit, we will be staying at the Electra Palace...I wonder if someone in this Board can comment on it.  It purports to be 5 *...let's see...

BTW, Marazul, my avatar used to be Ithaca (I moved!) and we communicated for a while.  Gratos saludos!!

Good to hear from you again!

Same old email if you ever want to get in touch.