Cozumel

T-town cruiser

Liz, you can go to Mega a giant Walmart type store just a few steps from the Terminal de Cruceros port and Senior Frogs . It's filled with great stuff including interesting food and liquor . They take US $ at fair rates .

• Like 1

Downtown Cozumel is San Miguel, a wonderful town that is full of hundreds of shops and restaurants.  There is a plaza in center, a square, and walking streets lead off of it.  You can spend hours walking around down there...and yes, it is very safe.   There are a few hawkers trying to get you to rent a scooter, or go to presentation at a condo, etc, but just tell them no thankyou and keep walking.  Street vendors, artists, food....  it is a fun fun fun place to walk around.

The Plaza/Square (and taxi driver can drop you off there)

2015Aug_Glory_Coz750-L.jpg

If you want to go to grocery store, there are two big ones...Chedraui and Mega.

They are like Target or Walmart, some of everything.

We always get some fresh pastries at Chedraui...

20171004_151536_resized_1-L.jpg

2014Cozumel_topside399-L.jpg

And Margaritas at Wet Wendy's...

2014Cozumel_topside579-L.jpg

this is the Key Lime Pie

• Like 2

Oh wow this looks great. I am definitely going to do this. Do we just take a cab and ask for downtown? How much should we expect to pay for a cab? Thank you very much, we have always just stayed in port or done a shore excursion before. 

3 hours ago, Liz4383 said:

Oh wow this looks great. I am definitely going to do this. Do we just take a cab and ask for downtown? How much should we expect to pay for a cab? Thank you very much, we have always just stayed in port or done a shore excursion before. 

The taxi rates are posted there at each port, so check there for current cost.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 6:18 PM, sb4ever said:

Cozumel is one of my least favorite ports (second only to Nassau).  We just got back from Paradise to Cuba and had a stop in Cozumel.  My kids and husband did the fish pedicures on the beach and then we browsed the shops.  We then went back and enjoyed the quiet ship and lots of beverages at the bar 🙂

Which beach did you go to for the fish pedicure? Do you know if they had a massage place as well on that beach?

1 hour ago, wz243 said:

Which beach did you go to for the fish pedicure? Do you know if they had a massage place as well on that beach?

Mr. Sanchos offered fish pedicures and masages the last time we were there.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:18 PM, Liz4383 said:

Hi, when you say a little shopping and drinks along the way I perk up? Tell me more please, what kind of shopping? Is this area considered town? I keep reading references to town for better shopping. And last is it safe? I’m traveling with my mom and she is staying on the ship that day so it will just be me. Not that she is a ninja or something😆😆

Thank you

Elizabeth

I have never felt unsafe but I always stick to the main street.  They offer everything from clothing to jewelry and souvenirs however they are all out on the street trying to get you in their shops.  Multiple bars along the way and we usually take a taxi down to Poncho's considered artsy district.  When you walk in there is a Tequila shop on the right and then beautiful Mexican pottery on the left and the restaraunt straight ahead in a courtyard.  We have never had a bad meal there and friends we take always enjoy and want to know if we are going back there.  Service is also very good.  Then heading back towards the ship one of our stops is always at the Thirsty Cougar and continue on until we reach Senior Frogs.  At that point we hop a taxi back to the port.  Taxi's are also very well priced    

12 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I’ve heard service can be slow.  Was that your experience?  Can we walk up to the bar to get our own drinks?

We found service slow. Yes they let you get your own drinks.

And i would pre-order dessert with lunch if you feel you might want flan. They had run out when we tried to order after we had eaten lunch and they were not that busy the day we were there.

Edited by c-leg5

5 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

We found service slow. Yes they let you get your own drinks.

And i would pre-order desert with lunch if you feel you might want flan. They had run out when we tried to order after we had eaten lunch and they were not that busy the day we were there.

Thx!

53 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I’ve heard service can be slow.  Was that your experience?  Can we walk up to the bar to get our own drinks?

Not that I really noticed.  Like I said,  laid back, quiet.   You can get your own drinks, either by swim up or walk up.  BTW, you can get shots, you can't at Sanchos.

As a regular vacationer to Cozumel for 19+ years now, I can tell you that downtown is fun and safe.  Get off the main street!  The shops there have mostly been bought by the cruise lines and are not what you want to see.  Go a block or two off the main drag to all the little shops and chat with the locals.  They are fantastic warm friendly people.  Safe...?  I think it is safer than downtown in almost any city in US.  The people there make their living 100% from tourism, so they are not going to bite the hand that feeds them.  In fact, the nicer you are to them, the better deal you will get... be sure to haggle.  And you also might get a free shot of tequila or maybe just a hug.  But the locals are sure to make you feel happy to be in their home.  Give them a chance.  

Restaurants downtown are head and shoulders above anything you get elsewhere (beach clubs catering to cruisers).  Check out LaChoza or LaMission or CasaDenis or ...  any of the little taco shops.  Get a margarita at WetWendys, too.

So much to see and do downtown...  you can spend hours and hours walking up and down all the little side streets.

• Like 1