CRUISE FROM NEW YORK CITY INFO

sheldon87cam

Hi fellow princess cruisers , I’m looking for some help and information , myself and my wife are sailing out of New York on the regal princess on October 31,2019 , this will be our first time ever in New York , we have sailed 12 times with princess out of Fort Lauderdale. I have read that there are two cruise terminals in New York I was told by the princess future cruise agent on out nov cruise that we sail out of the Brooklyn cruise terminal in October but I’m not sure if he really knew for sure. I’m sure a lot of you past cruisers have sailed from new York so just wanted to make sure with you all about which terminal , also which airport is closer to the proper cruise terminal, and what would you guys recommend for a reasonable price hotel that is also located close to the terminal , we are going to be in New York for two days before the cruise so we can have a quick look around the city , any help or suggestions from you all would be greatly appreciated. We are looking forward to visiting New York as we are from Newfoundland Canada which has a connection with New York after all the planes landed here on 911 , we are definitely going to visit ground zero if we don’t do anything else. 

Princess ships go out of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal aka Red Hook.  It is across from lower Manhattan.

LaGuardia is the closest airport to Red Hook.  If you are flying from Newfoundland, I would also check your flight options into and out of both JFK and EWR aka Newark Liberty Airport in New Jersey.  You may find that one airport works better flightwise and/or pricewise for you than the others.  If there isn't much difference, I would go with LaGuardia.

If this is your first trip to NYC, stay in Manhattan.  There is so much to do.  Take a car service or Uber/Lyft to the terminal.

Just now, Clampram said:

Ditto........stay in Manhatten so that you can be a tourist for a couple of days. Pick the airport that has your best flights in and out. You can easily get to Brooklyn with a taxi/uber.

I see that you are interested in the WTC museum..........consider staying in lower Manhatten to see WTC and other sights as well. We like the Marriott Financial Center. WTC walkable easily from there as well as Battery Park Wall Street, Eataly and other sights

Hopefully LGA airport is the lowest price to fly into;.  JFK it too far out and ride into city would be expensive.  LGA is 20min taxi ride in light traffic;  Newark airport will take 40 min to get into city.  Have fun.  NY is wonderful city

2 hours ago, sheldon87cam said:

Hi fellow princess cruisers , I’m looking for some help and information , myself and my wife are sailing out of New York on the regal princess on October 31,2019 , this will be our first time ever in New York , we have sailed 12 times with princess out of Fort Lauderdale. I have read that there are two cruise terminals in New York I was told by the princess future cruise agent on out nov cruise that we sail out of the Brooklyn cruise terminal in October but I’m not sure if he really knew for sure. I’m sure a lot of you past cruisers have sailed from new York so just wanted to make sure with you all about which terminal , also which airport is closer to the proper cruise terminal, and what would you guys recommend for a reasonable price hotel that is also located close to the terminal , we are going to be in New York for two days before the cruise so we can have a quick look around the city , any help or suggestions from you all would be greatly appreciated. We are looking forward to visiting New York as we are from Newfoundland Canada which has a connection with New York after all the planes landed here on 911 , we are definitely going to visit ground zero if we don’t do anything else. 

I was on this cruise on Nov 1st 2018 on the Regal.

As stated it leaves from the Brooklyn/Red Hook Cruise Terminal.

https://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/

The Marriott Brooklyn Bridge is about 3 miles from the pier. It is a nice hotel.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycbk-new-york-marriott-at-the-brooklyn-bridge/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

You can use Uber/Lyft to get around the city/airport etc

IMG_2594.JPG

Marriott Brooklyn is a great hotel.....have stayed there many times for business. For the original posters dates the least expensive room comes up at 401/nite. Ouch!

The poster would be better off staying in Manhatten for a couple of days of sightseeing IMHO. I'm intersted to see what Princess is offering for hotels

Definitely fly into LGA if you can and if you plan on sightseeing,  stay for several nights in Manhattan.  We like theater so prefer Times Square area for the convenience for hotel, preferably on a quieter side street such as 44 th or 45 th.  I would look at TripAdvisor for hotels, but plan on spending at least $250 plus per night, and that is not even for a deluxe or 4* property!  Also very easy to catch a subway from there to WTC, there is a direct line from Port Authority subway station. 

Car service to Brooklyn, we used Carmel Limo and booked in advance.  

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Stay in Manhattan. The terminal is not in a tourist area.

LaGuardia is closest to Manhattan hotels. Newark has various train, shuttle and private car service to Manhattan. JFK can be slower getting into Manhattan. Select whatever airport has the best flights from St. John's. Looks like you will have to connect through Montreal or Toronto.

Edited by skynight

If you stay in Manhattan before the cruise and leave from Manhattan to board the ship, another option to get to the Brooklyn terminal is the ferry from Wall Street/Pier 11.  We did this last January and it worked really well for us.

The ferry docks right behind the cruise ship at Red Hook and it is a short walk around the corner to enter the terminal (of course you do have to drag your own bags to the luggage drop at the terminal).  The price for an adult one-way ticket from Manhattan to Brooklyn is $2.75 (may be the cheapest good deal in NYC).  A ferry leaves about every half hour.  Here is a link to the ferry info should you be interested: https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

• Thanks 1

We are also on this cruise as well as the one following. 

We live in the Montreal area and are frequent cruisers now that DW ( former pilot) & I are retired.

Red Hook is a neat port, one of our favourites.

Our flights are booked on Air Canada through Ezy Air (Princess-best prices ). We are flying into LGA. Try to avoid going through Toronto. 

We are staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites, Brooklyn, New York (using our Marriott points), pre cruise.

We have booked Carmel to drive us to the hotel from LGA (best price & we pay the driver directly-no deposit needed).

Stay where you're at till I come where you be.

Judy   and Morris

We have not seen it.

DW's relatives are Newfies. She was very busy 9/11 and the days that followed. She was a pilot for Transport Canada (Cdn version of the FAA).

I on the other hand, on the morning of 9/11, was stuck in traffic directly in front of the White House. The car radio announcing that another plane was headed towards Washington, but that is another story.