HAL for Alaskan cruise

tiger belle

This summer we are planning our first Alaskan cruise (only have cruised Caribbean so far).  I've also never sailed on a HAL ship.  I am interested in any and all comments/opinions/recommendations regarding the choice of HAL for an Alaskan cruise.  Frankly, I am overwhelmed at the choices--not only ships but departing ports, round-trip v one-way, etc.  I would be especially interested in hearing commentary from anyone who has done both an HAL to Alaska as well as another cruise line and can summarize the pros/cons of each.  Thanks for any comments you can give.

12 minutes ago, tiger belle said:

This summer we are planning our first Alaskan cruise (only have cruised Caribbean so far).  I've also never sailed on a HAL ship.  I am interested in any and all comments/opinions/recommendations regarding the choice of HAL for an Alaskan cruise.  Frankly, I am overwhelmed at the choices--not only ships but departing ports, round-trip v one-way, etc.  I would be especially interested in hearing commentary from anyone who has done both an HAL to Alaska as well as another cruise line and can summarize the pros/cons of each.  Thanks for any comments you can give.

I have been on many HAL cruises to Alaska to capture amazing photographs.  My preference is 14-day that visits some of the smaller ports and the cruisetour that spends three days in Denali National Park to see grizzly bears, caribou, wolves, moose, and the big mountain.

HAL has amazing luandry services $7/day/stateroom so you can pack light but with warm layers.

Here is link to When & Where typical on-board activities in Alaska:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/alaska-ms-zaandam-14-day-when-where-daily-activities-2018

Feel free to ask lots of questions to help your choosing and then planning.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

Have not been on any other ships besides HAL for Alaska, but have done it now several times on HAL. I can appreciate the confusion.  We like HAL because they offer smaller ships and we like the low-key onboard atmosphere of HAL ships. Nice sized cabins with a good layout and a good variety of cabin prices to choose from.

Verandah cabins may not matter as much, since it is much colder to be outdoors and there are lots of other viewing areas onboard, even the glass dome Lido on HAL ships that feels toasty warm while enjoying full side views. 

1. Easiest cruise and sufficiently scenic to get an introductory feel for Alaska - 7 day RT out of Vancouver -  uses some of the larger HAL ships- also shares ports with other large ship cruise lines doing the same 7 day cruise. Goes up the smoother Inside Passage - that was our first Alaska.

2. Best as cruise only - 14 day RT typically out of Seattle - goes further north and adds a lot more glacier bays - stunning - uses smaller HAL ships- less likely to share ports with other large cruise lines - leaves mid week cuts down on crowds. That was our last Alaska.

3. Ultimate In Depth Alaska on the smallest and oldest HAL ship, the Maasdam - Zodiacs and high enrichment lectures, this is a one time offering this coming year, going to lots of more remote ports on its way over to Japan. From SF to Yokohama. That will be our next Alaska. 

4. Various sea and land tours (have not done this with a cruise line myself

Any of these are good choices - depends more on your time and budget. Different experiences at different times of the year too - more rain at the end of the season - some missed options due to ocean ice early in the season, more black flies and mosquitos in the summer.

Surprisingly lush and green in the rain forest with lavish rhododendrons in late Spring.  Still lots of nearby snow no matter when.  Days are shorter in the early season but much longer in the summer - very long - white nights. Something wonderful about sailing way north and have daylight  views or sunsets from your main dining room table at late seating. 

Solution - pick the dates that works best for you - throw a dart at a list of what is available then and pick which one it lands on. I don't think there is any bad choice.  Or bad cruise lines for this part of the world. And the weather is always good and bad at the same time no matter when you go. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 2

We've done several cruises:  11-12 Day round trip San Francisco, 7 Day Round Trip Seattle, 7 day Vancouver to Seattle, Vancouver (Princess cruisetour) to Fairbanks, and  B2B (Back to back) Vancouver /  Seward.

We've also been on Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Holland America.  It's 30% higher during mid-summer.  So, we usually go in the spring/early summer or late summer/early fall.  We did try a high summer B2B on Royal Caribbean a few years ago.  Nice cruise, but they packed the ship.  The main dining room was so packed, we had trouble getting to and from our table.  During the second leg of high summer B2B we opted for specialty dining, because we didn't like how packed the MDR was.  Pretty unusual for us.

Edited by knittinggirl

We chose HAL for our first cruise to Alaska and we thought it was the right choice. One thing that we quickly learned about Alaska is that this region is more about the destination rather than the ship. So based on that, I’d recommend focusing on itinerary first. 

We wanted to keep things simple since it was our first time and we had several family members, including seniors, traveling from various places. So we chose Seattle as our embarkation point and a weekend departure. Second consideration after reading several threads was that we wanted to visit Glacier Bay, so we settled for a 7 night itinerary on the Westerdam out of Seattle visiting Glacier Bay, Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria. We don’t regret our decision for one second. It was an absolutely fantastic cruise.

Compared to some of the newer and larger ships that we had sailed on in the Caribbean, the Westerdam felt old, small, and somewhat gloomy, but as mentioned before, the itinerary was our main draw. HAL does a fantastic job and they do offer a somehwat more upscale experience with more attention to detail which was greatly appreciated.

As far as activities ashore, since we had a large group of family members ranging from 13 months old to 75 years old, we split up and everybody did their own thing. From self guided activities, to helicopter rides to visit glaciers, everybody did something that was very enjoyable.

We did start planning a year in advance so I spent a lot of time researching  various travel websites for recommendations and I encourage you to do the same.

Finally, don’t sweat things too much. Alaska is such a wonderful destination that I believe that, no matter what ship and itinerary you choose, you’ll return with absolutely fantastic memories. Of course there are itineraries and ports of call that are better than others, but since it’s your first time, everything will be new to you. Have a great time! Alaska is amazing. 

Edited by Tapi

I hear it a lot that Alaska is about the ports/destination and not about the ship... but most of the itineraries are very close to the same (Ketchikan/Juneau/Skagway), so why not choose by the most comfortable ship? HAL treats even inside passengers like royalty!

We have cruised Alaska three times with HAL. Once northbound from Vancouver to Seward -- with time there, and self-drive to Palmer and Denali. Next roundtrip Vancouver 7-days to the ports listed above, taking six family members who had not been to Alaska. Finally, last year on the 14-R/T out of Seattle to Anchorage, with those people plus two more! 

All of these cruises were perfect for the time and money constraints faced at the time. My conclusion is that you can't go wrong with Holland America in Alaska, and my recommendation for a first cruise is one out of Vancouver that includes Glacier Bay. For a second cruise, the 14-day one would be hard to beat!

For our fourth, we are sailing with Princess in 2020, because they offer a 2-week R/T out of our home port, LA/San Pedro, and so we and our travelling companions will not have to fly. Princess has also been "doing" Alaska for a long time, but their lower status rooms (inside, OV, and simple balcony) are significantly smaller than HAL's without even a sofa.

We are doing our 11 day Alaska sea/land tour (D5C)with HAL next summer. This is out first Alaska cruise but our third HAL cruise. We loved our first 2 HAL cruises. We are taking our 10 year old grandson and booked a Signature Suite. HAL was the first mainstream cruise line to do Alaska going back to the late 1960's and have the most experience in Alaska and own most of the land tour hotels and resorts we stay. This tour we chose also includes all train transportation from Seward to Anchorage, Anchorage to Denali and Denali to Fairbanks. They own their own rail cars too. You have to check the land portions very closely as some have all bus or partial bus transportation on land.

We looked at Princess, NCL, Celebrity and CCL for this cruise but the biggest decision maker for us, was that adding our grandson to our cabin only added $449 in cost for the entire 11 day trip. No other cruise lines came close to this price, I don't believe any of them were less than $1500 for a 3rd person addon for a similar suite as the HAL SS.

• Like 1

We have done Alaska on Princess, NCL and HAL.  Most of our Alaskan cruises were on HAL.

HAL and Princess have done Alaska the longest and have the most permits for Glacier Bay.

You should choose a cruise that goes to either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier.  

If you decide on a combination of a land tour and a cruise, do the land portion first as those are long days and you can rest up on the cruise portion.

We have sailed out of San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, Seward -- all great.

Our most favorite cruise was HAL's 14 day round trip from Seattle -- visiting ports like Kodiak, Homer and Anchorage which other cruise lines don't do.   This this one twice.

If you have never been to Alaska before, I would suggest a cruise that includes a land portion. Our land portion included Fairbanks, Denali, and Copper River. And I agree with KK, that the land portion should be prior to the cruise portion. This usually means boarding the ship in Seward and sailing one way back to Vancouver. 

Alaska is the destination and I think the ship or line is not the main factor. I have cruised HAL (the most), Princess, Celebrity, and a now defunct small ship in Alaska and each cruise had its own special remembrance. Alaska is one destination that can take a lot of planning but it well worth it. You will want to go back as we have multiple times.

Our choice is HAL for Alaska . 

Aside from the cruise ,we do the interior   ourselves  .We do not like  commercial buses or  lodges . 

Easy to do Alaska  interior on your own & get the very best for a lot less cost . First google  "discount books in Alaska " .Last we looked there were 2 of them & you can first check out the 2 for one coupons on line .

Google mini bus service from Anchorage to Seward (HALS  beginning ir ending port )   .You book this on line & you get not only a better price but  you need to select the half day tour   ;which will get you to the animal center where you get off the bus & walk around to see Grizzly bears ,Moose ,Musk OX ,Black bears ,bald eagles ie .The  animals of Alaska , This service is very reasonable .They will take you to either the airport or your hotel  

Use Costco to rent a car at the Anchorage airport .This is a best discount . We drove to Anchorage , With the discount book we saw the American Indian Heritage  Center 2 for one pricing , we went to the Anchorage zoo & saw a pack of Alaska wolves & other Alaska animals , We been to the museum  in Anchorage  .Easy to get around .If you belong to a hotel points program ,like hilton honors use points to book hotel & save huge .

There is a great Walmart in anchorage 

Book  about a year in advance  for Denali National Park   .Our preferred month to go is May when the tundra has yet to thaw . when the tundra thaws you get big mosquitos & black flies ,that sting . With a car go about 10 to 15 minute drive & stay at the "Denali Lake View Inn " .It is a AAA 3 Diamond rated bed & breakfast with incredible views looking over a huge lake  that has geese ,swans & dicks , Gorgeous views from your private balcony  with breakfast in the fridge , Right next door (walking distance ) is a ATV place & we used the 2 for 1 discount .We had a tour of the Tundra  .It was fabulous . They use Rhinos which are w wheel independent & ot os very much like a golf cart .you sit side by side . We also used the 2 for one to take a cruise in Prince william sound  on a 80 ft boat .  We saw thousands of birds ,a fish hatchery & Sunset glacier calving ,harhor seals ,sea otters   & whales 

Driving from Anchorage to Denali & the bed & break fast is 5 to 5.5 hours & many times we did not see other vehicles for 5 to 10 minute intervals ,just a lot of pines & other trees .  

At Denali National Park a must see before boarding the bus is the park ranger dog sled show . You get a discount if you have the Senior National Parks card . Ask for it & you get a refund  

We stayed at the Denali Lakeview Inn 3 days & we were able to get clear pictures of Mt Denali which is about 20300 ft elevation & can produce it 's own weather pattern at the summit .but because we were there so many days  ,I got clear pictures  of both the north &  south peaks  .The tour we saw Grizzly bears ,Moose.Caribou  & Dahl   Sheep  .

Ask the Denali Lake View Lodge to make you a box lunch to bring with you on the bus tour 

Also the Denali lLake view Lodge management can tell you the best places   to have dinner close by & not commercial  & fairly priced  . 

We then went to Fairbanks where ww went to the University of Alaska  Museum . Fabulous museum & we even saw a movie showing the northern lights  ,We visited a  antique car display & not to be missed either of these  venues .  

These were our temperatures in May -- Anchorage 73    ,Denali 75  ,Fairbanks 83  . We had rain for 1.5 hours in Fairbanks  . 

This  Alaska car touring & our cruise was the best trip we ever did :classic_biggrin:

We wish every one a Great Alaska trip to the Great Land :classic_biggrin:

Cliff

• Like 1

A important reference book for Alaska & free to members of AAA auto club  is the Alaska state tour book & you can get a free copy for your  use .A very valuable tool in Alaska for the GEMS to be sure to see while there :classic_biggrin:

Cliff

We are doing our 4th Alaska cruise in August. Taking the kids and grand kids. We live in Portland, so driving to Seattle has always been an attractive part of the cruise (as opposed to spending all day flying somewhere). Since we always leave from Seattle we always stop in the same 4 ports however we have also always selected various glacier destinations: Hubbard, Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. We are doing Glacier Bay again as it has been our favorite so far. As far as ships to AK: Oosterdam, Westerdam and Eurodam.

We went on a 7-day round trip from Seattle on the Eurodam. It was a very nice ship and a good size for us. We thought Seattle was a great destination for pre and post cruise, we had a great time there. We took a mix of HAL and private excursions. We absolutely loved our trip and can't wait to visit again. The scenery was amazing and we really took advantage of the wrap -around promenade deck (deck 3) which allowed us to easily change vantage points and was closer to the water than I think you could get on most ships. The food was amazing and we appreciated the drink specials and appetizers in the Ocean Bar. The trip was pretty port intensive, so we appreciated the relaxed atmosphere on ship, and the choice of live music options.

I believe that no matter what ship you choose, you'll have a great time as the destination is wonderful.

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I hear it a lot that Alaska is about the ports/destination and not about the ship... but most of the itineraries are very close to the same (Ketchikan/Juneau/Skagway), so why not choose by the most comfortable ship?

I don’t think that all itineraries are close to the same. Besides the most obvious differences (port of embarkation, roundtrip vs. one way, land portion, and length) there are other things that IMHO first time cruisers should consider. 

True, ports like Juneau and Ketchikan appear on almost all Alaska itineraries, but glacier viewing days are different (Glacier Bay, Hubbard, Tracy Arm, College Fjord). Also, some itineraries will feature less visited ports like Icy Strait Point and Sitka (which for us was a big highlight). Some itineraries will sail west of Vancouver Island (less scenic) while others sail east of Vancouver.

Finally, port time should be a consideration. Some itineraries may feature similar ports but the time ashore may be significantly different. Some itineraries may only offer half a day at some ports and others may have late arrivals. 

We bypassed several itineraries because of the differences mentioned above. There were other ships that I probably would’ve selected over the Westerdam, but we prioritized itinerary over ship. Now that there are larger and newer ships sailing in Alaska than in years past it will probably seem more enticing to book based on ship. One example is Ovation of the Seas (which is an amazing ship) but it’s only a 3 port itinerary, one which is not in Alaska, and only goes to Endicott Arm missing the more grand glacier viewing spots.  

• Like 3

Tiger Belle, I also just noticed that you're from Louisiana. One one of our trips there was a young couple from Florida on one of our "shore" excursions where we took a helicopter from Juneau up to the Mendenhall glacier. It was probably 70 degress at the airport while we waited for our helicopter HOWEVER on top of the glacier, it was winter. This couple had on flip-flops and shorts. I can tell you they were freezing!! There are quite a few shore excursion opportunities that will (minimally) involve getting cold and some may also be wet/damp. While for the most part it will be "summer" - summer in Alaska isn't like summer in Louisiana. On most port days (on land) you'll likely be comfortable in shorts/short sleeves but it could easily be rainy and it will be colder if you venture onto glaciers or out on the water. On days when the ship is close to the glacier, you might want a sweater or jacket when you are out on deck.

17 hours ago, tiger belle said:

On which line do you usually cruise?  That might help with our answers. I think you'll love Alaska, but it's completely unlike the Caribbean. 

15 minutes ago, POA1 said:

On which line do you usually cruise?  That might help with our answers. I think you'll love Alaska, but it's completely unlike the Caribbean. 

I dunno. You can't go more than a few blocks before you hit your first Diamonds International or Del Sol in Alaska now too. :classic_dry:

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the great information...I now understand the various options and pros/cons...but it doesn't make it a lot easier to choose : )  I want to do it all!  I've most frequently cruised Carnival--mostly because for families it's been the most cost-friendly...my favorite cruise ship of all has been the RCI Allure, which is why I had my mind on sailing the Radiance or Ovation; however, I do see where there are fewer ports with the Ovation RT out of Seattle...it also seems like there is more sightseeing glacier-wise on the one-way trips, like from Seward to Vancouver...but I checked air fare and it's a lot pricier not doing a round-trip out of Seattle or Vancouver...I was leaning towards Princess over HAL, too, but some people have told me that HAL is more "boring" and not as upbeat as Princess; however, a lot of y'all have given HAL ships high marks...I am going to keep up with any and all additional comments...thanks for the tremendous help so far

I have cruised to Alaska on the round trip Seattle route with NCL, HAL, and Princess. I enjoyed HAL, especially going to Sitka. I would say my favorite was Princess though, because they brought so many special guests on board for shows and presentations, including Libby Riddles, a naturalist who did 3 or 4 presentations throughout the week, a folklore guy who told stories, sang, and recited Robert Service poetry, a lumber jack, and sled dog puppies. I think either would be great, although the Royal Princess would not be my first choice due to fewer public outdoor areas for viewing.

well, the group consensus was to book RCI Ovation of the Seas...it is our first cruise to Alaska so I think the scenery and experience will be amazing even if we aren't going to some of the grander glaciers or less-visited ports...I love RCI ships so I'm not worried about that...if I'm fortunate this won't be my only Alaskan cruise...either way, I feel blessed to have the opportunity and plan to thoroughly enjoy this cruise : )