Total lunar eclipse coming on Jan 20-21

BarbinMich

EarthSky.org announced today that there will be a total lunar eclipse on Jan 20-21.  It should be visible (assuming clear skies) throughout the western hemisphere.  The website says many refer to this eclipse as a "blood moon" because for many viewers the moon will look red.  Here's a link for more info:  lunar eclipse map.  Lucky folks who will be at sea then will have the best view because of the unobstructed view of the sky and the darkness surrounding a ship at sea.  Enjoy!  [Note:  also posted this info on the Celebrity and Princess boards; feel free to post the info to other boards!]

Edited by BarbinMich
  • Like 1

It was too cold to go out and watch it, but I did look out the window and caught the eclipse about half way through the eclipse, unfortunately I did not stay up to watch the total eclipse.  Full moon was beautiful before the eclipse though and this morning it still looks great through the foggy mist.  Yes, fog, because it warmed up overnight to 3F from the -8 last night.

I kept on having issues w/ the tripod and ballhead combo slipping.   But I managed to get a few shots.  Temp was in the upper 40s/lower 50sF.  

Looked better on camera than w/ the naked eye.  You need a lot of zoom.

Once it got high enough, we were able to bring the camera inside our courtyard and out of the wind.

Edited by knittinggirl

10 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

I kept on having issues w/ the tripod and ballhead combo slipping.   But I managed to get a few shots.  Temp was in the upper 40s/lower 50sF.  

Not sure if you meant to post images... they didn't seem to come through.  The site has been glitchy all weekend.

Here are a couple of Eastern US.  It was not nearly as nice as your weather--windchill below 0F.  I'm fairly new to photography and only have a 135mm Kit lens, but it still came out pretty nice and was worth braving the cold.

A2T1A5341.thumb.jpg.e80313e2bcfe08fcd96fa8d1c7382edc.jpg

A2T1A5272.jpg

AT1A5300.jpg

• Like 1