Celebrity internet packages

Sarah_13

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Question about T-mobile.....  They offer roaming on Celebrity ships.  It seems to be included in some plans without any sign-up. The charge for voice calls is $5.99/min!!!!  If I'm not in airplane mode and I get a call will I be charged?

Unless you block the roaming, most carriers do roaming automatically and you may be charged accordingly. Tmobile has free data roaming in many countries although most have lower speed. Roaming on cruise ship is not free.

I am just about to purchase internet for a 12-night Caribbean cruise in 2020 on Celebrity Silhouette.   They have two tiers of internet now.  The more expensive "unlimited" internet version allows you to stream video and use VoIP technology for Skype, Facetime, etc.  The "Surf" package allows you to surf the internet and check email, etc., without streaming video and VoIP.  For 12 nights, the fees for the Surf package are $129.60 for one device and $194.40 for two devices.  The Unlimited streaming/VoIP version is $269.00 for one device and $404.00 for two devices.  They also have packages for three and four devices.  It seems fairly reasonable to me compared to prices I've paid in the past.  Since I don't need to stream video or use VoIP but my spouse and I may want to be on the internet at the same time, I'm going for the Surf package for two devices.  That works out to $16.20 a day (not sure if there are additional taxes).   

On 3/3/2019 at 3:00 PM, Jim_Iain said:

You may be confusing two different things.   

The $55 is a one shot 24 hours of access.     The $22 is cost per day price for the entire length of the cruise (you can not sign up using this rate for a single day).      The only exception is they usually discount the Unlimited rate by 50% at the halfway point of the cruise for the remaining days of the cruise.  

I think it's RIDICULOUS that the unlimited plan is not prorated starting day 2. I don't remember Royal doing it that way. 

I do wonder how much is to cover their expense and how much is profit?

For a 2 week cruise with full streaming internet, costs more than most home land line internet packages.

I didn't realise that data packets travelling around the cloud have a tangible cost to them and the infrastructure they 

use has already been paid for.

6 hours ago, Fixit2010 said:

I do wonder how much is to cover their expense and how much is profit?

For a 2 week cruise with full streaming internet, costs more than most home land line internet packages.

I didn't realise that data packets travelling around the cloud have a tangible cost to them and the infrastructure they 

use has already been paid for.

Internet through satellite has very different cost than optic fiber on ground.

On 4/24/2019 at 1:30 PM, Fixit2010 said:

Is it better to buy a package before the cruise or on board?

I will want it from day 1.

It's cheaper to purchase before sailing, and if you call you can get the discount from your captains club tier.

Edited by gerelmx

2 hours ago, gerelmx said:

It's cheaper to purchase before sailing, and if you call you can get the discount from your captains club tier.

Thanks, will do that.  So I can take captains club discount off the advertised price.

23 minutes ago, Fixit2010 said:

Thanks, will do that.  So I can take captains club discount off the advertised price.

Tiers Classic 10%, Select 25%, Elite 30%, Elite+ 35%, Zenith 1 device free

I just saved 25% (Hawaii cruise)

Edited by gerelmx

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 4:15 PM, gerelmx said:

Tiers Classic 10%, Select 25%, Elite 30%, Elite+ 35%, Zenith 1 device free

I just saved 25% (Hawaii cruise)

Did you get a discount off a "package" or one device? They told us it would only discount one device on first call.

Has anyone been able to receive Captain Club discount off a sale price? Last time I inquired, I was told it does not apply to sale price (with the exception of 10% off pre cruise price).

On 4/19/2019 at 2:33 PM, mnocket said:

Question about T-mobile.....  They offer roaming on Celebrity ships.  It seems to be included in some plans without any sign-up. The charge for voice calls is $5.99/min!!!!  If I'm not in airplane mode and I get a call will I be charged?

I've used T-Mobile for about 5 years and have used the International Roaming in about 30 countries with no problems.   The speeds you will get are 2G or 3G vs 4G speeds but is adequate for Navigation, E-Mails, Text and voice calling.

I'm not sure what plan you have with T-Mobile.   The One and Simple Choice Plans offer Unlimited International Internet in 210 countries and $.25 minute phone calls.    For calling we usually use WhatsAPP and call for free over WiFi.   T-Mobile also allows free phone calls over Wifi but needs to be turned on.

As for settings -  While at Sea i set my phone to airplane mode but still get phone calls over internet (should have unlimited internet) as well as texting and e-mail while at sea.    While in port I turn off airplane mode and it automatically connects.   You will receive a text message when you enter a new country.

8C157D42-4A4F-4FEC-A740-50348C5E28DC.thumb.jpeg.e9bee6dc50b0b6877d0d628fb8f9bf41.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

23 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've used T-Mobile for about 5 years and have used the International Roaming in about 30 countries with no problems.   The speeds you will get are 2G or 3G vs 4G speeds but is adequate for Navigation, E-Mails, Text and voice calling.

I'm not sure what plan you have with T-Mobile.   The One and Simple Choice Plans offer Unlimited International Internet in 210 countries and $.25 minute phone calls.    For calling we usually use WhatsAPP and call for free over WiFi.   T-Mobile also allows free phone calls over Wifi but needs to be turned on.

As for settings -  While at Sea i set my phone to airplane mode but still get phone calls over internet (should have unlimited internet) as well as texting and e-mail while at sea.    While in port I turn off airplane mode and it automatically connects.   You will receive a text message when you enter a new country.

8C157D42-4A4F-4FEC-A740-50348C5E28DC.thumb.jpeg.e9bee6dc50b0b6877d0d628fb8f9bf41.jpeg

Thanks for the reply.  I'm bad at remembering to turn on airplane mode when returning to the ship in port. Reading the T-Mobile site, it seems that if you forget to turn on airplane mode you will be charged for calls when on the ship (even if sent to voicemail) as long as your phone is turned on.  I'm just back from a cruise on the Reflection so I'll check my next bill and see what's what.  I agree your strategy works fine (I use WiFi calling instead of WhatsAPP), but as I mentioned, I'm bad at managing airplane mode, data roaming, etc. when I move from ship to shore and back again.

• 5 weeks later...

When you have internet as a perk that came with your booking is it Surf or Stream?  Also is this perk for both guests in the room, meaning both of us have our own username and password and we can both use one device at the same time?

Edited by cricketgirl

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Does tier discounts apply to both types of packages?

Surf

Stream

Is it the same if I call them or get it on board?

Thank you

I've been told the price is the same as on Cruise Planner or on the ship. Tier discounts will apply as well.

One little wrinkle I hit, Elite+ 30% when you call the Captain's Club is only good on the single Full or Surf package. Want the 2 device package, they can't offer it, only available on ship. You can get 2 single device packages with the tier discount if you wish, but it will cost more than a 2 device package with the discount on ship.

That was what I was told when I called to reserve a 2 device package. I do know when you go to sign up and fill in the cabin, name, and reservations details (or whatever is required?) I've always see the discount for tier price shown.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much!

We will only be getting one surf package as on this trip I won't need faster one for work (VPN) and seems like gym's elliptical have own TVs.

I was just thinking if it makes sense to call them now (and I am not even sure they will respond as we booked through internet agency) or wait till boarding time.

So what's the best plan for someone doing a 7 day cruise with the first stop in Key West? We probably only need internet the back half, but someone said there's a "surf" package when you board for about $99? Any more info on this? 

6 hours ago, Snacheeze said:

So what's the best plan for someone doing a 7 day cruise with the first stop in Key West? We probably only need internet the back half, but someone said there's a "surf" package when you board for about $99? Any more info on this? 

There are 2 types of internet for 7 day cruises

$239.00 USD Adult Price Shown Reflects Your Discount

Overview

Our Xcelerate Wi-Fi service means higher-speed internet at sea, so you can now share your sumptuous dinners and exciting shore excursions with friends and family around the world. Show off your stylish stateroom via FaceTime or Skype. Stream must-see shows from your favorite apps like Netflix. Use your smartphone, tablet, or laptop to connect, or use one of our workstations in the Celebrity iLounge, open 24 hours a day. Enjoy a discounted daily rate for your entire voyage. It's your hassle-free solution to staying connected onboard.

$116.00 USD Adult

Overview

Our new value-priced Surf Internet Package is for anyone who simply wants the ability to text, check email, surf the web, and keep in touch with family and friends while on vacation. This package does not include VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) technology such as FaceTime, Skype, or the ability to stream videos though Netflix and YouTube.

Then there are discounts and discounts based on loyalty club level.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The issues has to do with sea days. I carry a hotspot which works on land overseas at a cost of $99 for 30 days of unlimited use on multiple devices. I use less than 5 minutes a day on sea days checking email so paying for unlimited web is ridiculous. Hate to be unconnected for more than 24 hours with my office but their current program for web access is too expensive. 

I would suggest going to a thread for a sailing on your exact ship (earlier sailing) and asking there. I used the "surf" package last time, but I vaguely thought they still had pay period options, but things change all the time.