Ovation to hawaii

Thinking about a bucket list hawaii cruise in 2020 for our 30th anniversary. There are no reviews for this ship on this itinerary so i have looked at some for other ships. Don't really see much about the sea days weather. I assume there will be cool sea days on the vancouver side but we love cruising Anthem out of bayonne in the winter months as it has the indoor spaces when its cold outside. My questions are about airfare, how much should I budget for flying from the east coast? Cant look at flights that far out yet. also is this a great cruise? cannot find very good reviews from other RCCL ships on this itinerary. any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Thanks

• Like 2

When it gets a little closer type in flights for fall or spring 2019. Or Google flight cost history or historic on your route. Sorry, I can't give you an estimate, because we are on the west coast, but that is what I do for San Juan or Europe flights from here. Try to pick a Hawaii itinerary that hits as many of the islands or spends as long as possible there as you can; since you won't visit very often. There are lots of things to see and do on every island. And Vancouver is a beautiful, friendly and fun city as well. We haven't been on the Anthem class. 

Edited by Coralc

So, we are returning from Hawaii on the 16 day cruise coming up in about 90 days.  We booked our one way return from Hawaii to mid USA not a big airport for about $850 for both of us.  In AA premium economy.  Which is economy with cocktails and early boarding.

I can’t imagine flying to from east coast would be much different.  Of course 2020 is a bit down the road.

jc

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, we are returning from Hawaii on the 16 day cruise coming up in about 90 days.  We booked our one way return from Hawaii to mid USA not a big airport for about $850 for both of us.  In AA premium economy.  Which is economy with cocktails and early boarding.

I can’t imagine flying to from east coast would be much different.  Of course 2020 is a bit down the road.

jc

$425 each for one way from HNL to midwest is a good deal.  Flying United economy from HNL-FLL roundtrip at the end of this month leaving on a Monday returning on a Tuesday and it was $720 each.  During the summer months HNL-FLL will run in the $1200 range.

You might consider flying round trip out of Newark, used to have a nonstop to Honolulu and then taking the NCL Pride of America, the only US flagged cruise ship I know of.  It is a 7 day cruise that hits the 4 best islands.  And a passport is not required!!!!

• Like 1

We were on the Ovation last month in New Zealand. I have been on alot of Royal ships and the Ovation is my favorite. Its different from the others. Its totally beautiful with lots of room to move around. Cafe270 is outstanding. Its a beautiful ship!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, paradise4me said:

We were on the Ovation last month in New Zealand. I have been on alot of Royal ships and the Ovation is my favorite. Its different from the others. Its totally beautiful with lots of room to move around. Cafe270 is outstanding. Its a beautiful ship!

I feel the same way about Anthem.  For Hawaii the itinerary might be the most important aspect of the cruise.  Will never forget going past the Big Island at 9 PM and seeing the lava flowing into the sea, the red river kicking up plenty of steam.

• Like 2

I have looked at the pride of america, reviews don't look great and it is highly overpriced  IMHO. can fly to honolulu and return from vancouver which seems to save a Lot of money. the one itinerary in my 2020 seems strange though. 2 days in honolulu and then 2 islands then 2 stops on the west coast. Still looks like an adventure though!

The Ovation itineraries for both Alaska and Hawaii are rather lackluster compared to what the Radiance class ships do.  I don't see why they couldn't spend more days in Hawaii, even if it means tendering in every port.  Seattle is a wasted stop that can be better visited without getting on a ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, timf2001 said:

The Ovation itineraries for both Alaska and Hawaii are rather lackluster compared to what the Radiance class ships do.  I don't see why they couldn't spend more days in Hawaii, even if it means tendering in every port.  Seattle is a wasted stop that can be better visited without getting on a ship.

Why not Serenade from Vancouver - a day longer cruise I think.   Have done  Vancouver to Honolulu a number of times and it is a great cruise.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, squadron said:

Why not Serenade from Vancouver - a day longer cruise I think.   Have done  Vancouver to Honolulu a number of times and it is a great cruise.  

Serenade only showing a september cruise, I like to get away in late winter to spring as reward  for surviving winter in upstate ny.

Radiance I am pretty sure does a spring and fall for the next couple of years.  I highly recommend spending some time in the islands before or after a cruise.  There are ferries and relatively inexpensive options to get between islands.  

JC

9 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Radiance I am pretty sure does a spring and fall for the next couple of years.  I highly recommend spending some time in the islands before or after a cruise.  There are ferries and relatively inexpensive options to get between islands.  

JC

No ferry system here in Hawaii any more.  The ferry stopped because the environmental impact assessment was deemed insufficient.  The company couldn't stay afloat for the years that it would take to do another assessment.  High speed ferries were repossessed by the lenders.  Lenders were made whole since the loans were guaranteed by the US govt.  I believe the ferries are now somewhere on the eastern coast of CONUS.  

I concur that everyone should spend a few days on the islands.  Tourism is our economy, so please come and spend some $$$$.  Because there is no ferry, it now costs $150-$350 for a 20 minute plain ride from honolulu to maui. 

We have been interested in Hawaii also but can't decide between the May or the September voyages or the ship.  We have enjoyed the Anthem...so the Ovation would be great but we love the radiance class ships.  So to Frank...thoughts ??  Thank you for the great information about no longer having the ferries.  I thought I had read there were but apparently from out of date material.  We are coming from Delaware...so plenty of options for airports

May or September would be good times to come to Hawaii.  One thing to keep in mind is that Sept is part of hurricane season.  Our weather during the day is about upper 70's to mid 80's most of the year.  During Dec and Jan on cloudy days it will tend toward the mid 70's to lower 80's.  Just like the caribbean islands we get showers daily that last a few minutes.  I woke up this morning and it was very cloudy.  Be 10am it was very sunny and a hot day in the upper 80's.  Also one end of the island might be raining and the other end dry and sunny.

Also if Pearl Harbor is a must see, the memorial was supposed to open in March.  With the government shutdown , I am now thinking it has been probably pushed back to late april maybe may.  If I could do either sailing, the decision would be purely based on price of cruise and airfare.  Or if you prefer one class of ship or the other.

Edited by frank808
  • Thanks 1

Just now, xpcdoojk said:

Frank, I have to say the best time to go to Hawait is when the whales ar e there, whcih is december to march.

jc

Yes it is spectacular but much better in Maui at Kaanapali.  I live in Koolina and have seen whales off shore this past week.  Only problem is that they are pretty far away.  Unless you book a whale watching tour you are not really that close.  I was able to see whales much closer on Explorer when we sailed Alaska. 

Have fun in the islands in April!

We sailed the America Cup boat way back in 2003 and a mother and calf went directly under our  sailboat, not very far below the hull, it was spectacular.  The crew even seemed astonished.  Regardless, hanging in Maui watching them breech, and blow is pretty spectacular.  We were in Juneau in a small boat with 5 passengers watching the same whales and their behavior is completely differnt in Alaska.  Still very spectacular.

jc

36 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

We are minimally in Hawaii on the Ovation.  The day in Maui and 2 days in Honolulu.  Then fly home.

Any chance the whales are still there in early May?  Would think not.

jc

I really doubt that.  Spottings get pretty rare from mid march.  Also you don't really see whales all that much in Honolulu.  Sometimes they are spotted off of Diamond Head. 

Do a roundtrip to Hawaii :

17 nights departing April 15, 2020 on Holland America Eurodam

Date Port Arrive Depart
Wednesday, April 15 Seattle, WA   5:00pm

Thursday, April 16 At Sea    

Friday, April 17 At Sea    

Saturday, April 18 At Sea    

Sunday, April 19 At Sea    

Monday, April 20 At Sea    

Tuesday, April 21 Hilo, Hawaii, HI 8:00am 6:00pm

Wednesday, April 22 Honolulu, Oahu, HI 7:00am  

Thursday, April 23 Honolulu, Oahu, HI   11:00pm

Friday, April 24 Lahaina, Maui, HI 8:00am 11:00pm

Saturday, April 25 Kona, Hawaii, HI 8:00am 6:00pm

Sunday, April 26 At Sea    

Monday, April 27 At Sea    

Tuesday, April 28 At Sea    

Wednesday, April 29 At Sea    

Thursday, April 30 At Sea    

Friday, May 1 Victoria, BC, Canada 2:00pm 11:00pm

Saturday, May 2 Seattle, WA 7:00am  

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Date Port Arrive Depart

Friday, April 17 At Sea    

Sunday, April 19 At Sea    

Monday, April 20 At Sea    

Sunday, April 26 At Sea    

Monday, April 27 At Sea    

Tuesday, April 28 At Sea    

Thats a nice cruise only if you're retired.too long for my husband.

On a different note, how did you copy that itinerary and put in your post. Put it on a clipboard?

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Date Port Arrive Depart

Friday, April 17 At Sea    

Sunday, April 19 At Sea    

Monday, April 20 At Sea    

Sunday, April 26 At Sea    

Monday, April 27 At Sea    

Tuesday, April 28 At Sea    

Been looking at that one, eurodam looks euro Dead! cant imagine all those sea days not knowing if I would enjoy the ship or line. radiance starting to look pretty good though!

Thank you all for your input so far, Keep it coming!

6 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

Thats a nice cruise only if you're retired.too long for my husband.

On a different note, how did you copy that itinerary and put in your post. Put it on a clipboard?

Just copy and paste from a website I use for checking cruises.