Close beaches??

RyanMFitz1

Hello fellow members.   

Going to Costa Maya next week on the MSC and we've never been big on cruise ship excursions, but more so "doing our own thing" and going to a beach/shop/lunch type thing.  My question is:  

Are there any beaches close by where the ship docks, within walking distance?  What would you recommend that isn't so costly but still nice. 

Thank you in advance 

We have no idea what you consider costly.  No, there is no beach within walking distance.  You could take the tram to the malecon and hang out there if you want.  It's cheap, touristy, commercialized, but perfectly fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Sigtau21 said:

So if we go and have food and drinks at Tropicante, do we have access to their beach front, or is there a fee for hanging at the beach?

Another vote for Tropicante!

The beach, chairs, etc. are at no cost ... but you are rather expected to buy drinks/food there. 

Enjoy!  :classic_cool: 

• 2 weeks later...

We were docked in Costa Maya few days ago. Me and my husband have never been away from the port area and someone recommended taking a cab downtown and to the beach.

We left the port area and got to the line of cabs. The first one said its $8 to get to the beach. And $30 per person for the entrance, WI FI, great prices for food and drinks. (that is what the taxi driver told us)

I thought we can just take a taxi downtown and walk to a beach on our own where we don't have to pay for entrance. We got to the Barefoot where a waiter took us to the beach. Just pulled sunbeds for us in the sun, and that was it. Then, when we wanted to get drinks, he said $5 for a small beer. $5???Wait a minute, why did we pay $60??? I forgot why I don't like Mexico. Terrible, we were ripped off. The guy said you paid $30 each because you can go kayaking for free and the rent a snorkeling mask for free. Wow! Nobody told us that!
Me and my husband said what is done is dine, let's not anything spoil our mood.
We get hungry and we want to order nachos platter. We are looking at the price in the menu and says $8 for a platter. I ask the waiter whats in it, coz i am vegetarian, and he acts like he doesn't understand, trying to up sell dips for the nachos, when they should come with it! Horrible! The platter arrived maybe 50 minutes later, not kidding! And it was awful! At the end we wanted to pay they said $49 when it was supposed to be $43.We asked why is the $6 charge and they said for this, they could not even explain. We refused to pay and give tips was out of the question. And then, when i wanted to use my card they said 16% to swipe the card. No one told us that!!! We refused but when i looked at my account later i was charged $48 anyways. Don't recommend this place. It's terrible!!!!

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:33 AM, mcatmcat said:

millennials= red lobster

Generation X and above= tropicante lol

You mean Krazy Lobster, don't think Red Lobster has franchises.

I'd add Families=Blue Kay

Geezers=Pitaya

Party Crowd (no age limit)= YaYas(unless they have settled down in the past couple of years)

Gullibles= Tequila Beach, Corona Beach, El Faro, El Dophin (IMO only)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

You mean Krazy Lobster, don't think Red Lobster has franchises.

I'd add Families=Blue Kay

Geezers=Pitaya

Party Crowd (no age limit)= YaYas(unless they have settled down in the past couple of years)

Gullibles= Tequila Beach, Corona Beach, El Faro, El Dophin (IMO only)

yeah Krazy lobter lol I was thinking in the lobster I had at Krazy Lobster while typing lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 9:11 PM, Kate P.C said:

We were docked in Costa Maya few days ago. Me and my husband have never been away from the port area and someone recommended taking a cab downtown and to the beach.

We left the port area and got to the line of cabs. The first one said its $8 to get to the beach. And $30 per person for the entrance, WI FI, great prices for food and drinks. (that is what the taxi driver told us)

I thought we can just take a taxi downtown and walk to a beach on our own where we don't have to pay for entrance. We got to the Barefoot where a waiter took us to the beach. Just pulled sunbeds for us in the sun, and that was it. Then, when we wanted to get drinks, he said $5 for a small beer. $5???Wait a minute, why did we pay $60??? I forgot why I don't like Mexico. Terrible, we were ripped off. 

did you just walk up to a random taxi driver and tell them "take me anywhere to the beach?" Just wondering.

I did my research on CC prior to going to Costa Maya (and the first time I only had 2 weeks before actually cruising - it was a last minute cruise purchase). We chose Blue Kay and didn't regret it for a moment. That was last December. $12 per adult gets you a chaise and 2 drinks of your choice. Drinks are delicious. People next to us got food and loved it, and thought it was reasonably priced.

So, we went to Blue Kay again 2 weeks ago and loved it again. Very low key, rustic but nice, and a very good value for the money. And I am all about good value, but we want a good beach too. 

P.S. you can click on the links in my signature to view pictures.

• Like 1

Yes, we walked to a random taxi driver out of the twenty taxi drivers that were parked outside, and we told him we want to go to the beach. We asked for a public one, but he said it's rocky, the facilities are  not good, so many excuses...So we suffered because we didn't know where exactly to go? And that's how it all started...