Live from The Ruby January 19, 2019

arizonaperson

Live from The Ruby Princess-January 19, 2019

Embarkation was very fast and easy,walked right up to check in and right onboard about noon.

Tv’s are flat screen on the wall & on demand.

No health forms to fill out in San Pedro as others have posted.

No need to take your life jacket to the emergency drill which is quite nice,especially if you have cruised often.

We were in Da Vinci dining room about 12:20pm for lunch. Rooms were ready at 1 pm via an announcement. We checked as soon as we got onboard and the fire doors were closed. Our 2 pieces of luggage were in front of our door when we returned from lunch.3:30 was the general emergency drill and it was over by 3:50pm. At 4:45pm we were out of the breakwater.

At 5 pm we went to Crooner’s for our CC cocktail meet up,good crowd.

Went to Skywalkers for a little snack. (Elite lounge)Hours are 4:30-6:30pm.

Dinner is in Botticelli at 7:30 pm,so 7:15 sign up is just a approximate time. Just an FYI,it’s fine with me. The  production show was Magic to Do at 6:30 & 8:30. We did not go- seen it before and wrong timing for us.

Captain/ Commodore is Pomata. James Eaton is customer Service Director. CD is Natalie Costa and Entertainment Director Callie Smit.

On Sunday ( 1st day)we ate in the D.R. For breakfast so have no idea if the buffet was crowded. Seems to be quite a few “ kids” onboard all ages.

As usual so much to do or so little, up to you.

I think that’s all for now.

Monday- Cabo.Great Weather today. It is nice that this itinerary gets to Cabo at 11am and last tender from shore is 7 pm.only needed our cruise card to get back on the ship,no ID. We did have a bag check once off the tender in town.

Tender process was easy coming and going.

Tonight at 6 pm is a Folkloric show and 8 pm a on Broadway show.

someone asked about Ocean medallion status,not sure. You us the cruise card where the nameplate and mailbox was to open your cabin. A few displays by the elevators have light up medallions but don’t fully work I don’t think. You can not have holes punched in Cruise card any longer( I never did- just reporting) because it will supposedly mess up opening your cabin door. So now need a plastic sleeve attached to lanyard.

For those that asked-Early traditional dining is 5 pm in Botticelli and 5:15pm in DaVinci .

Joe- cruisingpeople- Yes love to cruise again with you and Amelia.

just arrived in Mazatlan about 8:30am. So getting ready to go explore.

comedian Carlos Oscar tonight as well as 5pm captains cocktail party,smart casual dress.

julie

Tuesday night was smart casual and Captain’s circle party. Wine,rum,punch,& martinis were served as well as hors d’oeuvres. 

Most traveled in 1st has 1,541 days

2nd - 1,462 days

3rd- 1,357 days

Elites- 369

Platinum-546

Lasted about a half hour. 

Captain did not attend 5 pm party as he was busy preparing our ship to leave the dock.

Yesterday was our final port day in PV. They have a new terminal area,not all the way complete. It was a nice sunny day. We took the city bus coming and going to the Malecon area. Stayed for a little bit then back on the ship to eat and enjoy the pool. We docked Disembarkating on the port side deck 4.

Ship time is 1 hour behind local PV time.

Sams club,Walmart, and Galleria mall is just across the Main Street.( we did not go)

In PV when returning to the ship go through Mexican security/ x-ray in terminal building and then same once onboard. There were cool towels and a few flavored waters also offered by Princess prior to getting on ship but after terminal building.

Entertainment was Julien in Explorers - evening of mystery (7:30 pm & 9:45pm)and vocalist Bryan Cheatham in Theater with the Princess orchestra-45 min show at 6:30 & 8:30 pm.)

Today is a sea day and it is formal night.( lobster and beef Wellington is all I can remember on the menu)

Gala dinner,party and balloon drop tonight.

Colors of the world show tonight at 6:30 & 8:30 pm.

Marriage match game at 9:30pm.

Group renewal of vows at 10:15pm tonight.

10-1 pm onboard outlet sale. No kitchen show or tour.

11:15 am backstage tour( production show)

Someone asked about lounge-The Elite lounge is in Skywalkers from 4:30-6:30pm.( of course it’s for Elite, suite, & platinum) can get any of the 8 drinks any night for $6.50.  Food was Saturday Chips & guacamole.Sunday was beef steak tartare,Monday was smoked salmon, Mazatlan was closed for Captains circle party. Wednesday was salsa and chips,but they did have guacamole too.Tonight- Thursday is herb marinaded goat cheese, and tomorrow night is wheel of Stilton.

The new dining menus have been a nice change .

Trivia a few times a day. I’ve gone a few times. Can’t stop learning.

Today- Friday is a sea day. Cruise is almost over,way too fast as usual.

Live Tv channels are: ship camera,MSNBC,Fox News,CNBC,bbc world news,espn international,espn 2.

Heard from fellow passenger that ocean medallion will be next week operational, but obviously not necessarily a great source.

When the dry dock was done last year the cabin chairs( “ club” like) were removed. So only a desk chair in our balcony cabin. It was always in my way previously,but my mom is missing it,was her reading chair.

Also there is an automatic night light under one of the night stands that we haven’t quite figured out yet. It’s definitely motion sensored. Suppose it could be helpful or not. We don’t see a way to turn it off.

We see the CD,Entertainment Director,hotel manager all around the ship which is quite nice.Natalie the CD always has the best dresses/ outfits on.

Last night in Skywalkers quite a few staff came around to say hello. James the hotel manager was one of them. Love seeing the “ officers “ around the ship.

9:45 am was the culinary demonstration & galley tour.

Carlos Oscar the comedian is performing again tonight.(6;30 & 8:30pm in the Theater) he is one of the best.

There is also tonight Dwight Blake doing a Motown show in Explorers at 7:30/9:30pm.

julie

We were on Ruby for the second time in September 2018 - the week before she entered dry dock for renovations.  We'll sail on Ruby again in May.  Can you tell what renovations were done during dry dock?  I know the Ocean Medallion system (wiring, etc.) was supposed to be installed.  I think a restaurant was changed out?   Any further details?

10 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

We were on Ruby for the second time in September 2018 - the week before she entered dry dock for renovations.  We'll sail on Ruby again in May.  Can you tell what renovations were done during dry dock?  I know the Ocean Medallion system (wiring, etc.) was supposed to be installed.  I think a restaurant was changed out?   Any further details?

A quick search found this thread about the dry dock of the Ruby last year.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2597645-ruby-pics-post-dry-dock/?tab=comments#comment-56021880

37 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Thanks for the updates!

If its the light I am thinking about....... (is it square?) is part of the emergency lighting system.

Nope it’s not square. It’s new. It’s under the night stand. I’ve been The Ruby quite a few times.

julie

Yes they have added a motion sensor light under one of the night stands.  It now lights up a portion of the floor.   It was on  the night stand closest to the window in our balcony cabin.   We were glad to have it as we often get up during the night.    Didn't bother us. 

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Thanks for the report about the one chair and the night light.  Will these changes go to other ships?

The limited seating in Princess cabins below the mini suites is one of our least favorite things.

I don’t know about other ships. Just what I observed that was “new”.

we had a balcony cabin,so not sure what the mini suites had.

Julie

8 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Thanks for the report about the one chair and the night light.  Will these changes go to other ships?

The limited seating in Princess cabins below the mini suites is one of our least favorite things.

I was just on the Grand and there was no barrel chair in my balcony cabin.  I didn't miss it; it was always in the way.   The cabin seemed much more spacious.