WHICH FORMAL NIGHT IS MORE "FORMAL"

tewkewl

Hello, we are taking a seven day cruise on harmony of the seas on Feb 3.

I'm wondering if one of the two formal nights is more formal.

We definitely love dressing up, but also hate lugging around heavy bags.

What I'm not looking for is advice such as "Just wear what you want.  Why care what others think" or "just wear pants and a buttoned down shirt for men and a skirt and a blouse for women".  That's not what I'm asking and the forums seem to be inundated with snarky comments from folks about why people shouldn't care what others think.

Anywhoo, please let me k is if there is one formal night out of the two where you've noticed ed that people are going more all out.  

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, tewkewl said:

Anywhoo, please let me k is if there is one formal night out of the two where you've noticed ed that people are going more all out.  

The first formal night is the one I have seen more people get really dressed up.

• Like 1

I agree with Bob. 

But if I am going to formal night (which sometimes we pass on (most times)) it is usually the night they serve yummy lobster.

Just pack one outfit that you like and wear it twice. No one will notice. 

If you take formal pictures both times it will be easy to choose photo's since the outfits won't factor in to the choice.

1 hour ago, tewkewl said:

Hello, we are taking a seven day cruise on harmony of the seas on Feb 3.

I'm wondering if one of the two formal nights is more formal.

Hi Tewkewl ☺️

I agree with the others, the first formal night is typically more formal.

Have a wonderful sailing!

☺️

Edited by PortSideCruzan
  • Like 1

Pretty much the same, but maybe the 1st formal night by a small margin.

Photo op lines seem busier the first formal night in my experience

My guess is that people, if they are going to get dressed up, are more apt to do it the first formal night.  If they didn't bring a second set of clothes for second formal night they may opt for a little more casual outfit.

Dan

• Like 1

I was on the Allure last week and did not notice a difference (and I was pleasantly surprised to see lots of people in nice formal attire). Since I had brought one dressy outfit with slacks and one dress, I chose to wear the dress on the second formal night, when my legs had more color from the sun!

I think it depends on the itinerary. If the formal night is on a sea day more people have time to get dressed up than if it occurs on a port day, especially if departure is late in the day. But otherwise I don't think there is much of a difference between formal nights. However, if you would like to have professional photos taken in your formal wear, I think it is better to do it on the first formal night. By getting the formal wear photos done earlier in the cruise you can avoid much of the rush to select/purchase the photos on the last day, and you also give yourself a second chance if the first set of photos isn't to your liking.

The first formal  night on any cruise line that I’ve been on in the past 10 years seems to be more formal than the second. This could be because the novelty has worn off by the second formal night or they come to realize that very few went all out for the first one. I hope they roll out the dess to impress across the line. This will at least define what is actually worn on these nights and clear up any misconceptions that the night is “Formal” when it really isn’t.

• Like 1

Neither , expect to see everyone being in their own comfort zone . Just enjoy your own zone and not be disappointed in the expectations . 

Ha.  Even though I asked not to provide this sort of response, I knew I would get one. Cruise critic never fails.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ha.  Even though I asked not to provide this sort of response, I knew I would get one. Cruise critic never fails.

As much as you go on about it . yours is snarly  and sarcastic. I did say “neither” . Believe you already knew you would not get clear answers. 

Just go and do what you are going to do and enjoy . 

On 1/21/2019 at 11:07 AM, robtulipe said:

IMHO the last formal night where one can have lobster included at no cost is the more formal as typically more people go to the MDR that night.

Also, anyone that has BOGO will miss the first formal night (assuming first one is night 2)

33 minutes ago, ssb said:

As much as you go on about it . yours is snarly  and sarcastic. I did say “neither” . Believe you already knew you would not get clear answers. 

Just go and do what you are going to do and enjoy . 

But followed up with the standard response which really isn't related to my question.  Thank you.

28 minutes ago, tewkewl said:

But followed up with the standard response which really isn't related to my question.  Thank you.

On and on and on ! Excuse us all for trying to being helpful . Others also read posts of questions and answers.

Peace and try being nice !

So which night are you going to dress more formal ?

Edited by ssb