What decks are preferred on Symphony for Ocean Balcony?

We”ve twice now had  balconies really far aft  and swore never again. (ESP on Oasis class) Seemed like we had to walk an eternity every time we left the room. I’m fit and enjoy walking but it got super annoying having a 10 minute stroll just to get out of our wing! I also wouldn’t do deck 14, under the pool coukd be very loud. This trip we have a balcony room deck 6 slightly forward on the hump so we have a large balcony. Can take steps to Promenade, Central Park, all of deck 4 and same floor as the Gym, Vitality Cafe, Schooner Bar and the Boardwalk! 

Hello -   We rarely take elevators and therefore prefer being in the back of the ship near the lobby exit.  

Benefits of this area:   1) No lifeboats below when you look down at the water 

2) Quick access to central park if you stay on deck 8

3) Quick access to boardwalk and promenade if you stay on deck 6

4) Direct access from aft aqua theater stairs to deck 7 hallway

5) Close to dining (MDR, JRs, MiniBites, Windjammer…)

Downside - when ship is on port it can be a longer walk to re-board. 

I wanted to know if people prefer port or starboard? Pretty sure she docks starboard side to so the view from a starboard cabin would be of the port. I’ve enjoyed watching people run to the ship in the past but also been aggravated by the view being NOT of the ocean too.

8 minutes ago, amyhphoto said:

I wanted to know if people prefer port or starboard? Pretty sure she docks starboard side to so the view from a starboard cabin would be of the port. I’ve enjoyed watching people run to the ship in the past but also been aggravated by the view being NOT of the ocean too.

The view from the starboard side will be a view of the dock, but not necessarily of the port.  Depends how the dock is situated and what side of the dock the ship uses.

1 hour ago, mcatmcat said:

last option deck 7 , the boardwalk sign blocks you to cross from port to starboard 

our prefered location is deck 14, quick acess to the pool deck and windjammer 

I don’t understand what you mean, can you explain,  I’m so curious. 

15 hours ago, amyhphoto said:

We”ve twice now had  balconies really far aft  and swore never again. (ESP on Oasis class) Seemed like we had to walk an eternity every time we left the room. I’m fit and enjoy walking but it got super annoying having a 10 minute stroll just to get out of our wing! I also wouldn’t do deck 14, under the pool coukd be very loud. This trip we have a balcony room deck 6 slightly forward on the hump so we have a large balcony. Can take steps to Promenade, Central Park, all of deck 4 and same floor as the Gym, Vitality Cafe, Schooner Bar and the Boardwalk! 

I know what you mean about the walk. We had a cabin on Freedom that was almost to the back of the ship. When we got off the elevator I kept looking for a shuttle. None came.

34 minutes ago, amyhphoto said:

I don’t understand what you mean, can you explain,  I’m so curious. 

On deck 7 at the aft elevator bank there is no access to the opposite side of the ship.  If you catch the elevator on a lower or higher deck you need to make sure that you get the correct elevator either port or starboard.

the reason that there is no access is that the entrance to the Boardwalk (deck 6) is an oversized entrance (two story) so they had to remove the usual walkway from port to starboard on deck 7.

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

the reason that there is no access is that the entrance to the Boardwalk (deck 6) is an oversized entrance (two story) so they had to remove the usual walkway from port to starboard on deck 7.

Seems odd that they didn't fix that for the second gen Oasis class.

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This is a view from deck 6 upper level of the promenade looking out to the Boardwalk.

the open area in front of the sign would be when the port and starboard sides join to create the walkway from one side of the ship to the other.

They could have put in a transparent walkway and put the sign on the Boardwalk side of the walkway. 

What am I thinking, they would have to have removed a couple of staterooms for that.

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

They could have put in a transparent walkway and put the sign on the Boardwalk side of the walkway. 

What am I thinking, they would have to have removed a couple of staterooms for that.

I think you just answered your question as to why they didn’t do it.

22 hours ago, Pandabear90 said:

Are there decks that are more preferable then others for a Ocean Balcony room from decks 6-14?

We are looking at either front or back of the ship.

Would like your thoughts!

We got 8568 on Allure and twice on Harmony plus I booked that cabin on Oasis for my neice.

It is a great location near midships,close to the elevators and extremely close to Park cafe and all the other restaurants on Central Park.