New to O, have some questions, appreciate any help

NoWhiners

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

why would  they not have a buffet :classic_blink:

Theirs is not  an ordinary buffet   they have  grill where you can get cooked to order  steak, lobster, pork chops & other items  every night   as well as the regular  offerings  but  the staff serve you rather than people reaching in & getting their own

Much more sanitary  IMO

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

It is confusing when folks on this thread say "It is not a buffet".

I just read a really good description and it sounds like a buffet where staff hands you your selection at each different station.

36 minutes ago, babysteps said:

What LHT28 said.

Also, if your plate isn't full after station 1, the server at station 2 will place your additional selections on your existing plate.

Thanks for these clarifications. It sounds a lot more civilized than the normal buffet scrum! Food selections sound good too.

34 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

We like the 7-bottle wine package. It's been a topic of discussion here in the past and there have been many different opinions on it.  Like you said, wine is very subjective. We've been happy with all of the wine we've bought from that package. Haven't been disappointed.  At around $49/bottle it's a very good value. 

It does seem like a good value. We will have to mull this over. It may be a better way to go than either the regular bev package or the upgraded one. We do have a lot of sea days :classic_smile:

Can you buy multiple packages? I read somewhere that you can add bottles, but only 1 time? Somehow that seems wrong, but I may not be tracking this properly.

18 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Can you buy multiple packages? I read somewhere that you can add bottles, but only 1 time? Somehow that seems wrong, but I may not be tracking this properly.

Do you mean 1 beverage package  or the 7 wine bottle package?

I believe you can only buy the 7 bottle package  once  but maybe on a longer cruise you can purchase  another one

there is a list of wines to choose from

you can buy the Prestige package as well as the wine bottle package 

The  House select & Prestige  is  wine by the glass only

Or you can just choose a bottle of wine from the wine menu 

so many choices 😉

You can buy the 7 bottle package once or again later if required.

Sometimes there is a wine sale as well half way through cruise and you can buy there. I presume this is to get rid of some not reordered wine selections, sometimes some good buys.

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Do you mean 1 beverage package  or the 7 wine bottle package?

I believe you can only buy the 7 bottle package  once  but maybe on a longer cruise you can purchase  another one

I was comparing (badly!) having the bev package vs just getting the 7 bottle wine package. But, the cruise is 25 days, so we would need more than 1. And I think the 7 bottle package may be a better value, but have no experience with this. I think we might be able to each keep the regular (non-Prestige) bev package, not upgrade either of us, and then get the 7 bottle package. But, if we can't add bottles or buy another 7 bottle package, that could be a problem. 

It is easier now that I know we can carry wine on. We are just trying to figure the best way to have  wine at night on the balcony. 

51 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Does "a case of wine" when checked as baggage actually arrive on the other end intact?

GC

With the weight restrictions being what they are now, we never check wine onto an Airplane as baggage, but when checking wine onto the ship in the port city as baggage, we have never had a single incidence of breakage.

b_091558.jpg

As an aside, it isn't all that easy to break a full wine bottle; those used to Christen ships are specially ordered for that purpose, using thinner glass.  

12 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

With the weight restrictions being what they are now, we never check wine onto an Airplane as baggage, but when checking wine onto the ship in the port city as baggage, we have never had a single incidence of breakage.

b_091558.jpg

As an aside, it isn't all that easy to break a full wine bottle; those used to Christen ships are specially ordered for that purpose, using thinner glass.  

Nice photo of our favorite ship :classic_smile:

In the past, we used to hand carry on to a plane a few favorite bottles for many of our trips.  No more, alas.

You bring wine on...  Do you just have full cases checked along with luggage?

2 months ago, we tried Total Wine in Miami Beach, based upon recommendations here.

I called ahead, so when we stopped by, they had the 6 bottles waiting for us.  It worked very well.

So much nicer, with wines we really enjoyed.  It's tricky with the wine selection on board.

("Fine wine" is our "thing", although we really should drink more "for medical reasons" :classic_wink: )

Thanks!

GC

48 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

I was comparing (badly!) having the bev package vs just getting the 7 bottle wine package. But, the cruise is 25 days, so we would need more than 1. And I think the 7 bottle package may be a better value, but have no experience with this. I think we might be able to each keep the regular (non-Prestige) bev package, not upgrade either of us, and then get the 7 bottle package. But, if we can't add bottles or buy another 7 bottle package, that could be a problem. 

It is easier now that I know we can carry wine on. We are just trying to figure the best way to have  wine at night on the balcony. 

Just note  that the House select is  wine by the glass & beer  at meals only

if you only drink wine  then that may be a good option along with the Bottle package 

You get a list of wines to choose from in your cabin & decide then  but you could also pick up some  ashore

If you drink cocktails or spirits  the Prestige  package may be a better option

JMO

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Just note  that the House select is  wine by the glass & beer  at meals only

if you only drink wine  then that may be a good option along with the Bottle package 

You get a list of wines to choose from in your cabin & decide then  but you could also pick up some  ashore

Yes, DH likes beer and wine, I mostly drink wine. You may have a good point--7 bottle package (maybe twice) and carry some on with us.

Thanks for that.

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Does "a case of wine" when checked as baggage actually arrive on the other end intact?

GC

Yes, for me it has. We go to California a couple times a year and always bring back a case of wine. We have a special wine suitcase which gives a lot of protection. We've been doing this for a long time and have never had any breakage. The wine suitcase packed with 12 bottles has always come in at 48-49 pounds at airline check-in so we've never had to pay extra to check it.  The $200 we paid for it has been well worth it. 

2 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

Yes, for me it has. We go to California a couple times a year and always bring back a case of wine. We have a special wine suitcase which gives a lot of protection. We've been doing this for a long time and have never had any breakage. The wine suitcase packed with 12 bottles has always come in at 48-49 pounds at airline check-in so we've never had to pay extra to check it.  The $200 we paid for it has been well worth it. 

Hmmmm.... could you share just which wine suitcase you use?

If we could bring bottles from home, that would really be nice, even though they might not be our best bottles.

Are there restrictions about doing this between/into certain states... or countries?

Thanks!

GC

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

GC

mostly, yes.  And always, so far, at the pier (n=9).

We now have a wine suitcase (VinGuarde Valise brand - hard sided, high density foam etc) but have also used wine "shippers" (the kind with styrofoam or cardboard-waffly inserts) and just plain cardboard cases (the kind the liquor stores have piles of).

Once we received (via ground shipment, not checked luggage) a plain cardboard case with 11 out of 12 bottles intact and one broken & empty (the one that absorbed whatever the impact was).  Once we received nothing due to customs issues (shipped, not checked luggage - and a long time ago, from a country just emerging from behind the iron curtain).  Once at JFK we had one bottle at a time come up the luggage shoot to the belt, and then the plain cardboard case with 4 or 5 bottles still in it - all 12 bottles arrived intact if not together.

All other times, no problems iirc.  n=a whole bunch lol.

Edited by babysteps
oops missed some upthread comments

25 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Are there restrictions about doing this between/into certain states... or countries?

Yes.

Between states, not that I know of if you are bringing it yourself (there are restrictions on shipping across state lines, even if shipping to yourself).  But it does matter which state you enter the US through, since CBP enforces state regulations in addition to federal (CA is much more restrictive than NY for example).

Between countries, yes - or, between trade zones (as in, not between most countries within the EU).  Regulation vs. what is enforced may vary (see, Buenos Aires at least as of a few years ago).

A full case will generally require you to "declare" and be subject to duty.  But many times the duty is small enough that customs chooses not to enforce it.

I am not a lawyer, regulations change all the time, and your mileage may vary - there, I have CMA'd lol

Edited by babysteps

We were on the same cruise with Flatbush.

Yes, O accepts the e-visas.  Much better than the old way, but the online submission of photos was very challenging on the Brazillian visa site, so Start the process with plenty of time.

Also, once the ship enters Brazillian waters, everything purchased has a 25% VAT levied on it.  This includes Wine.  So we made sure to purchase our wine before we got to the Amazon.

Charlotte

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, babysteps said:

I am not a lawyer, regulations change all the time, and your mileage may vary - there, I have CMA'd lol

LOL, it is also more difficult to bring booze into a Muslim country as they like to imagine themselves to be totally dry.

Meanwhile, our particular "Inspector" (this was Egypt) had the very strong scent of....er.....Robitussin about his person.  

16 minutes ago, babysteps said:

mostly, yes.  And always, so far, at the pier (n=9).

We now have a wine suitcase (VinGuarde Valise brand - hard sided, high density foam etc) but have also used wine "shippers" (the kind with styrofoam or cardboard-waffly inserts) and just plain cardboard cases (the kind the liquor stores have piles of).

Once we received (via ground shipment, not checked luggage) a plain cardboard case with 11 out of 12 bottles intact and one broken & empty (the one that absorbed whatever the impact was).  Once we received nothing due to customs issues (shipped, not checked luggage - and a long time ago, from a country just emerging from behind the iron curtain).  Once at JFK we had one bottle at a time come up the luggage shoot to the belt, and then the plain cardboard case with 4 or 5 bottles still in it - all 12 bottles arrived intact if not together.

All other times, no problems iirc.  n=a whole bunch lol.

Bottles of wine, arriving one by one on down the shoot, onto the belt... interesting imagery! :classic_smile:

Amazing that those bottles all arrived intact!

Thanks!

We'll check out that luggage, for the next time we are flying domestic to a cruise.

GC

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

With the weight restrictions being what they are now, we never check wine onto an Airplane as baggage,

Our wine suitcase filled with 12 "regular" bottles of wine is about 45 pounds.  If all 12 bottles were heavy-duty "fancy" bottles (high end California Cabs or Italian super-Tuscans come to mind), it would be over 50 pounds (so generally overweight) - but those same 12 bottles in a "shipper" box would be closer to 45ish pounds and potentially okay.

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

As an aside, it isn't all that easy to break a full wine bottle

Very true.  Only once have I managed (out of many, many times of banging 2 empties together to call wine gatherings to attention - not to mention dumping bottles into recycle bins).

8 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

LOL, it is also more difficult to bring booze into a Muslim country

Haven't tried this yet 😉

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Bottles of wine, arriving one by one on down the shoot, onto the belt... interesting imagery! :classic_smile:

They were sparkling wine bottles, which are even more heavy-duty than average, so that may have helped...

Edited by babysteps

3 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Did you use the new e-visa system or did you have an "old" paper visa (the 10 year one)?

thx

W did the 10 year, in part because we're going back to Brazil  in February to start our next cruise. Also, there's a Brazilian consulate here in SF.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

4 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

Yes, the airlines allow you to check a case of wine as luggage. 

We like the 7-bottle wine package. It's been a topic of discussion here in the past and there have been many different opinions on it.  Like you said, wine is very subjective. We've been happy with all of the wine we've bought from that package. Haven't been disappointed.  At around $49/bottle it's a very good value. 

Not a good value vs retail cost. With the exception of the occasional $20 retail bottle, most of the wines in the package offerings retail for less than $10. Whenever we've done the 7 bottle package on a longer cruise, it has been to stock up on the one or two "loss leaders" like Mirabelle ($20 retail) sparkling wine.

As for wine in checked baggage, I think the query was regarding the porters taking the case at embarkation.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I'd rather carry $75+ bottles with me.

And, anticipating the next question: if you pay the $25 corkage for a bottle brought to dinner, the wine steward will store unfinished bottles for retrieval at another meal. Of course, how a couple cannot finish a really good bottle of wine in one sitting is a whole other discussion. 🍷🍷🍷🍷

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you want trays, you'll need to go on a ship where they have a "buffet" and people (especiallly kids) touch the food.👀

Did I say I wanted trays????

I just was trying to picture carrying multiple plates from multiple stations.

While I'm back here I might as well continue and ask how salad is handled at the Terrace for lunch? Do you tell the staff what ingredients you want?

Are they already made and you just ask for a particular salad??

We always have a big salad at lunchtime and probably wouldn't be at the GDR for lunch if it is nice weather.

Edited by riffatsea

17 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

W did the 10 year, in part because we're going back to Brazil  in February to start our next cruise. Also, there's a Brazilian consulate here in SF.

Thanks. Nice to have a consulate in your home city. The closest to us is Houston, so we'll do the e-visa, if it looks like it will work on O.

9 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Did I say I wanted trays????

I just was trying to picture carrying multiple plates from multiple stations.

While I'm back here I might as well continue and ask how salad is handled at the Terrace for lunch? Do you tell the staff what ingredients you want?

Are they already made and you just ask for a particular salad??

We always have a big salad at lunchtime and probably wouldn't be at the GDR for lunch if it is nice weather.

Caesar and most other salads are made to order. A few complex salads are premade and you just say how much you want. AND do leave room for any and all breads, which are out of this world.

if you can't or don't want to manage multiple plates, particularly in rough weather, there are galley staff waiting to carry your stuff. 

Did we mention full bar service as well?

And when you need a change of pace, headvri Waves near the pool and get the filet mignon/lobster tail sandwich.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, boerneDQ said:

We were on the same cruise with Flatbush.

Yes, O accepts the e-visas.  Much better than the old way, but the online submission of photos was very challenging on the Brazillian visa site, so Start the process with plenty of time.

Also, once the ship enters Brazillian waters, everything purchased has a 25% VAT levied on it.  This includes Wine.  So we made sure to purchase our wine before we got to the Amazon.

Charlotte

Thank you so much for this info, answers my last big question :classic_smile:! I have read about issues people have had with uploading the picture, so I'll definitely start early and do mine before I do DH..

I also didn't know about the VAT, good to know. Does that apply to items bought in the ship shops?