HAL Ending Tampa Cruises - Article In Today’s Paper

sue1898

I really hope HAL comes back to Tampa as it's one of my favorite ports to sail from -- and I don't like the remaining cruise lines in Tampa.  Maybe after Tampa refurbishes their port, HAL will come back -- I sure hope so!

23 minutes ago, Curly-Q said:

I really hope HAL comes back to Tampa as it's one of my favorite ports to sail from -- and I don't like the remaining cruise lines in Tampa.  Maybe after Tampa refurbishes their port, HAL will come back -- I sure hope so!

Ditto!  I hope HAL is reading this.

I think the dropping of Tampa is more related to the sale of Prinsendam than anything else. HAL simply feels that for fall 2019 to spring 2020 departures that covering Prinsendams itineraries with other R class ships, and deployment of Veendam on Cuba sailings and Maasdam's "in-depth" sailings is more profitable than a Caribbean season from Tampa. Fall 2020 to spring 2021 Caribbean and Panama Canal sailings have yet to be released, so there is a chance HAL could return to Tampa at that time. I'd personally like to see the Veendam Cuba cruises shifted to Tampa instead of Ft Lauderdale mixed with some non Cuba Caribbean. Perhaps do a mix of 10/11 nights instead of 7. Maybe10 night Cuba /Caribbean with multiple Cuba overnights and at least different Cuban ports and 11 night Roundtrip Caribbean/Panama Canal would yield good results. One can dream right?

• Like 1

The article says HAL will stop using Tampa in April.  That's very soon for cruisers.  A lot of people will have to make new arrangements, for some they will cancel if they can.  Very disappointing way for HAL to treat their guests who have booked 3 months or more in advance.  Just my initial thoughts, obviously I don't know the whole story, but I feel for those caught in this change.  m--

Edit:  I just figured out that April is probably the end of the Caribbean season sailing out of Tampa, so maybe this won't impact cruisers, at least I hope so.  m--

Edited by RMLincoln

14 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

My PCC told me that they were having issues with filling the ships sailing out of Tampa.

As I posted in another thread, in checking HAL's website for this ship, it is sold out in all categories in every itinerary, except for inside and OV.  In other words, the more expensive cabins - lanai, Vista, and NS are sold out.  I suspect  your PCC doesn't know any more about it than the rest of us.

I agree with RocketMan275. PCCs see the entire ship.  Our PCC said there are many rooms available on our April cruise.  HAL is using aggressive sales techniques, including very low prices.  We actually got a huge price reduction before our final payment.  Our PCC suggested that we may get an upgrade offer to a Neptune Suite sometime soon.  

32 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

As I posted in another thread, in checking HAL's website for this ship, it is sold out in all categories in every itinerary, except for inside and OV.  In other words, the more expensive cabins - lanai, Vista, and NS are sold out.  I suspect  your PCC doesn't know any more about it than the rest of us.

I'm sure they have sold out but at what price?  How big a discount was required to sell out? 

Our last cruise out of Tampa, we received two upsell offers for a PS.    The last one was for $750 PP over the SA.  We took it.

Tampa is a lovely city and we really enjoyed our time there prior to our December sailing on the Rotterdam.  It was one of the lowest stress sailing we have ever taken.  Too bad Holland and Tampa does not seem to be a good partnership.

Edited by onthelake
Spelling

2 hours ago, Nymich said:

What Cruise lines are left going out of Tampa?

Carnival, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean.  

I actually had Rhapsody of the Seas booked for the same week I now have the Rotterdam booked.  I had planned on the Rotterdam out of Tampa for Spring 2020.  When I found out the Rotterdam/HA was leaving Tampa I figured I had better go ahead and do it.  I lost a LITTLE deposit...but easy come easy go!  The Rotterdam has one of the few Caribbean itineraries where I'll get a new port of call! 

18 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

Carnival, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean.  

I actually had Rhapsody of the Seas booked for the same week I now have the Rotterdam booked.  I had planned on the Rotterdam out of Tampa for Spring 2020.  When I found out the Rotterdam/HA was leaving Tampa I figured I had better go ahead and do it.  I lost a LITTLE deposit...but easy come easy go!  The Rotterdam has one of the few Caribbean itineraries where I'll get a new port of call! 

Thanks.….you made a good choice!

Holland America was the first major cruise line to sail out of Tampa way back in 1982.  The previous Nieuw Amsterdam as well as the previous Noordam used Tampa at times as their winter home ports.  HAL has done well from Tampa.  The company sponsored the Florida Orchestra's Coffee Concert for years. Concert attendees could register for door prizes which were often HAL robes and gift baskets.  The company would organize bus pick ups of guests at Florida west coast locations for free or low cost transport to the port of Tampa.  Many local cruisers reserved every year in advance.

I would have hopped over there to grab one of these last cruises but we already booked on the Reflection...….oh well.

Sorry to see HAL leaving Tampa and hope they come back.

Does Tampa have any cruise line that goes out of there in the summer?