Panama Canal Cruise

HappyCamper49

On the starboard side you'll be able to see the started and abandoned French cut. Other than that, either side is good, but my favorite views were on deck or in the sky lounge where there's a full view, air conditioning if it's a particularly hot day and you can hear the narration of what you're seeing.

If you have time before the cruise read  McCullough's book "The Path Between the Seas."

Edited by Luvcrusn

3 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

On the starboard side you'll be able to see the started and abandoned French cut. Other than that, either side is good, but my favorite views were on deck or in the sky lounge where there's a full view, air conditioning if it's a particularly hot day and you can hear the narration of what you're seeing.

If you have time before the cruise read  McCullough's book "The Path Between the Seas."

Thank you, Luvcrusn!  We will book a starboard side cabin, but certain we will be trying to get a good position on top deck too.  Thank you for recommending "The Path Between The Seas".  We will definitely read this prior to our cruise!

1 hour ago, merinski said:

We were in an inside cabin. We started out early, I think on deck 12, we also moved around, went to deck 6 at one point. Back up again and to both sides.

Thanks, merinski!  Knowing my husband, he will be everywhere.  This has been on his bucket list for years s!

3 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We have done six full transits of the Panama Canal.  In my opinion the best views are from the top decks.  We wander back and forth from one side to the other.  There are interesting sights on both sides, and sometimes during the same part of the canal!

Thank you, Northern Aurora!  Have a feeling we will be like you---wandering from place to place!  (Love your user id!  We were fortunate enough to photograph the Northern Lights north of Fairbanks a couple of years ago.  Love Alaska!)

4 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We have done six full transits of the Panama Canal.  In my opinion the best views are from the top decks.  We wander back and forth from one side to the other.  There are interesting sights on both sides, and sometimes during the same part of the canal!

I agree.  We've done this cruise twice, once in an inside, once with a balcony (free upgrade - it was a repositioning that was far from sold out.)

It was too damn hot to sit on the balcony.  And unlike the upper decks, the have limited views.  The buffet area was also a good viewing area - lots of windows, air conditioning and a bar.

The scenery is equally good on either side of the ship; however, when you get to each lock, you will want to be in an area of the ship where you can go back and forth between the port and starboard.  The work done in each lock is fascinating and depending on which lock you are in, you will have ships next to you in the adjoining lock.  You will not know until the day of the crossing, which lane the ship is assigned and therefore, to get the most out of your viewing, you will need to be able to go to either side. I've done the transit 5 or 6 times and each time I find something new that I missed before.  Definitely read David Mccullough's book as it provides a dramatic picture of what kind of sacrifices were made in order to achieve this engineering marvel.  If you are lucky, the onboard commentator will also be excellent.  We've had some good and some not so good.  Hopefully, you will get a very good commentator.  As you approach interesting observation areas, there will be announcements that can be heard in public areas as well as via a channel in your stateroom.  Enjoy!

19 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

On the starboard side you'll be able to see the started and abandoned French cut.

OP: that's true, but I don't think that's a reason to book a balcony on the starboard side.  First, as the photo below shows, the abandoned French cut is not much to see -- you might think it was a creek if you didn't know what you were looking for.  It was nice to have seen it as a point of historical interest, but you saw it for just a few minutes out of an entire day.   Second, and especially at that early point in the transit, I don't think anyone should be glued to their balconies, whatever side they are on.  You'll be going under the new Atlantic Bridge and then approaching the Gatun Locks (see the cruise ship in front of us), and you'll want to be in the bow or on a high deck, someplace you can get to both sides of the ship.

As others have said above (and as you'll see too if you do some reading in the Ports of Call/Panama Canal forum), the best place to be during the Canal transit is all over the ship.  High, low, bow, stern, port, starboard.  You'll want to get all the different perspectives during the day, especially as you go through the three sets of locks.

Frankly, on a FLA-CA transit like yours, you might consider booking a balcony on the port side,  not to be glued to it all day, but for the following reason: the day you transit the Canal is going to be a very long, very hot, and very humid day.  At some point, you are likely to want to get back to your cabin for a little a/c and rest.  A good time to do that is after you've gone through the Gatun Locks and are making your way, for quite some time, across Gatun Lake.   As you cross the Lake, you will pass ships coming in the opposite direction -- they will be on your port side.  Container ships, neo-Panamax ships, who knows what. (Second photo below.) It's fascinating, and this is a good time to get some food, maybe sit on your balcony a bit, and watch the ships go by.  (But even then, don't spend the whole time on your balcony!) 

And yes, do read The Path Between the Seas.  And enjoy the Canal, it's fascinating!

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

4 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Agreed. Reading it offers another dimension to what you see. Kindle made it easier than lugging around that heavy tome!

There was also a very good American Experience: Panama Canal on PBS about 6 or 7 years ago. You can probably find it on Youtube if you do a search.

Forget the starboard, forget the port...book an aft cabin on a Millennium class ship. Nothing like it for the canal. We have done it twice. You can see EVERYTHING as it goes by. In so many places you are close enough to talk to people on shore on both sides. Check out the views from our aft cabin by clicking here.Incomparable and the verandah is HUGE! Go for deck 7 or 8 if at all possible. We have done deck 9 but rude people start dragging chairs to the rail at 3:00 am.

Jim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrKoob said:

Forget the starboard, forget the port...book an aft cabin on a Millennium class ship. Nothing like it for the canal. We have done it twice. You can see EVERYTHING as it goes by.  Jim

Mr. Jim,

The aft rooms are wonderful.  The only place better to view "everything" is the bridge.  😉

1 hour ago, DrKoob said:

Forget the starboard, forget the port...book an aft cabin on a Millennium class ship. Nothing like it for the canal. We have done it twice. You can see EVERYTHING as it goes by. In so many places you are close enough to talk to people on shore on both sides. Check out the views from our aft cabin by clicking here.Incomparable and the verandah is HUGE! Go for deck 7 or 8 if at all possible. We have done deck 9 but rude people start dragging chairs to the rail at 3:00 am.

Jim

Absolutely!  Best advice here (besides the advice to read The Path Between the Seas).  If you really want a great spot, book one of the penthouses.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

14 minutes ago, Texed said:

Mr. Jim,

The aft rooms are wonderful.  The only place better to view "everything" is the bridge.  😉

WOW! Compliments from the waffle man. Thanks Texed. Long time, no see on a board.

58 minutes ago, Texed said:

Mr. Jim,

That's why we booked on the NCL Jewel for our first Panama Canal transit-- we were able to snag my "dream" cabin for that cruise -- a forward facing suite with a huge balcony directly under the bridge.  (My photos above were taken from that balcony.)   I did not suggest something like that to the OP, since she was asking about regular balcony cabins, but yes, if you can get something like that for a cruise like this, go for it.

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

That's why we booked on the NCL Jewel for our first Panama Canal transit-- we were able to snag my "dream" cabin for that cruise -- a forward facing suite with a huge balcony directly under the bridge.  (My photos above were taken from that balcony.)   I did not suggest something like that to the OP, since she was asking about regular balcony cabins, but yes, if you can get something like that for a cruise like this, go for it.

The aft cabins on X are just Concierge A so that's shouldn't be a problem. They aren't priced as a suite. They go quick though and you have to be there when the cruise opens up.

11 hours ago, DrKoob said:

WOW! Compliments from the waffle man. Thanks Texed. Long time, no see on a board.

Nice to "see" you also Mr. Jim.  I am usually on the boards, but I do not post very often except the roll calls.  There are a lot smarter folks than me, so I let them answer most of the questions.  😊

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 9:33 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Absolutely!  Best advice here (besides the advice to read The Path Between the Seas).  If you really want a great spot, book one of the penthouses.

Hey Cruise Critic members!

HappyCamper49 here!  Just booked a Celebrity Summit - Panama Canal cruise out of San Diego on Nov. 13, 2020!!!  Anyone else booked yet?  Our cabin is 8040.  Summit's new refurb begins March, 2019 so looking forward to that.  Hope to hear from fellow passengers.  Thinking about a "Chico's" shore excursion in Puntarenas, Costa Rico.  He received great reviews on Trip Advisor.  Has anyone used that company?

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:09 PM, HappyCamper49 said:

Hoping to cruise on Celebrity out of Fort Lauderdale, FL and go thru the Panama Canal locks, ending our cruise in San Diego, CA.  QUESTION:  Those of you who have done this cruise, is a starboard or port cabin best for views? (In your opinion).

Thanks!

CORRECTION TO MY EARLIER POST!!!!!