150 CENTRAL PARK WORTH IT? RECENT DINERS ONLY.

tewkewl

On 1/23/2019 at 9:28 PM, tewkewl said:

Hi, I am considering having our anniversary at 150 central park.  However, it has gotten mixed reviews and the menu looks less fine dining and more modern American.

Anyone dine their recently?  After the change in menu and dissociation with the celebrity chef?

Is it any good?

How does it compare to wondeland?  Jamie's? Chops?

Thanks for your help!

With all your ranting and disappointment with RC'S reservation system you should make reservations now.  We had the 5 night package on Symphony a few months ago and when we made our reservations onboard there was little left except after 8:pm. every night.  Works out ok for us as we always eat very late.  I also think if you have MTD you can make Bistro reservations through the cruise planner. 

27 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

With all your ranting and disappointment with RC'S reservation system you should make reservations now.  We had the 5 night package on Symphony a few months ago and when we made our reservations onboard there was little left except after 8:pm. every night.  Works out ok for us as we always eat very late.  I also think if you have MTD you can make Bistro reservations through the cruise planner. 

"With all your ranting"...?  Don't sound to nice.  Why stalk me if you thinking I'm ranting?  

And why would I make reservations if I'm not sure I want to go there? So I can be a jackhole and make a reservation that I won't use just in case?  I suspect that's what people have been doing with the shows.  Reserving a bunch of times for themselves every day so that they can have the freedom to choose while others can't even get a reservation.  I invite you to block me and not follow my posts if you're going to be snarky to me. 

3 minutes ago, tewkewl said:

And why would I make reservations if I'm not sure I want to go there? So I can be a jackhole and make a reservation that I won't use just in case?  I suspect that's what people have been doing with the shows.  Reserving a bunch of times for themselves every day so that they can have the freedom to choose while others can't even get a reservation.  I invite you to block me and not follow my posts if you're going to be snarky to me. 

One good thing about the reservation system is that you can only reserve one performance of a particular show.

Was on Allure Jan. 6 sailing.  They had just changed to new menu.  Bread and soup were great - rest of meal not so much.  Tenderloin was like stew meat, couldn’t even cut it.  Waiter could tell when cutting it tableside, but served it anyway.  Was very disappointed.

The BOGOs are first two nights. When u reserve and pre pay on cruise planner you can pick your time. When you board go to one of the restaurants or restaurant reservation check in table - even before you go to your stateroom - to see what u were given. You can change to what you want.

7 hours ago, tewkewl said:

For the BOGO do you have to dine on the first night it can you reschedule the courtesy reservation to the second night and to a restaurant of your choosing?

If you want flexibility, then don't get the BOGO, just pay full price and you can schedule any night.

We went to 150 on Harmony last week and  enjoyed our dinner.  It is true that the salts are no longer part of the menu.  I had the beet salad for my appetizer/salad and it was delicious.  I had the lobster thermidor and thought it wasn't that great.  It was kind of dry and the lobster tail it was in was one of the small ones like those served in the dining room.  I thought it would be a larger one and never expected it to be dry.

My sister had the tenderloin and she asked if she could have it for one instead of my having to have it too and was told yes.  It was not carved tableside.  I tried a slice of it and it was very good.

I thought there was a bourbon tart for dessert, but if there were, it is no longer on the menu.  We had the fried cheesecake, which was different, but not that great.

I did notice that most people in the restaurant were dressed up a bit compared to Chops and Jamies.  We lucked out because for no reason at all, we decided to dress up a little that night, so we didn't feel out of place.

If I went again, I'd skip the lobster, order the tenderloin and probably skip dessert, but would definitely get the beet salad again.

23 hours ago, cherokeesmom said:

Was on Allure Jan. 6 sailing.  They had just changed to new menu.  Bread and soup were great - rest of meal not so much.  Tenderloin was like stew meat, couldn’t even cut it.  Waiter could tell when cutting it tableside, but served it anyway.  Was very disappointed.

Wow. That is horrible.  Just wondering, how did you order your tenderloin? Medium rare?

One thing I've found across multiple cruises: I think a lot of the quality, with any venue on a ship, depends on BOH management, not which particular venue you eat at.

I've had Chops, Izumi's, Giovanni's, 150 Central Park across a lot of ships.  The food quality has always been variable -- but one thing I've noticed is that a ship with good food at any one premium restaurant tends to have good food across premium restaurants.  Which kinda makes sense.

The one thing that has so far been rock-solid for me across ships is Coastal Kitchen.  Haven't had a dud meal there yet.

11 hours ago, katiel53 said:

We went to 150 on Harmony last week and  enjoyed our dinner.  It is true that the salts are no longer part of the menu.  I had the beet salad for my appetizer/salad and it was delicious.  I had the lobster thermidor and thought it wasn't that great.  It was kind of dry and the lobster tail it was in was one of the small ones like those served in the dining room.  I thought it would be a larger one and never expected it to be dry.

My sister had the tenderloin and she asked if she could have it for one instead of my having to have it too and was told yes.  It was not carved tableside.  I tried a slice of it and it was very good.

I thought there was a bourbon tart for dessert, but if there were, it is no longer on the menu.  We had the fried cheesecake, which was different, but not that great.

I did notice that most people in the restaurant were dressed up a bit compared to Chops and Jamies.  We lucked out because for no reason at all, we decided to dress up a little that night, so we didn't feel out of place.

If I went again, I'd skip the lobster, order the tenderloin and probably skip dessert, but would definitely get the beet salad again.

Thanks for the info on the tenderloin.  I was not going to go there next trip as my friend does not eat meat and that is the one thing I really liked on the menu.  Good to know I can get it for just myself

• Like 1