O'Sheehan's food quality?

mwolever

17 hours ago, YVRBassElectric said:

Ruben with thousand island dressing is what turned me off O'Sheehan's (I've always been served mustard)

I agree with graphicguy that the chef is probably at the bottom of the totem pole. 

If we are looking for food outside of normal meal times, I will find something on the menu to "tide me over" but I wouldn't plan to eat a meal there

maybe we need to ask for thousand island dressing cause you are right, 1000 island dressing and rubens go together, but we still keep with our tradition: the first thing we do after boarding the ship is head for O'Sheehans for lunch. 

I did not care for the menu change and removal of the chicken pot pie and other goodies.  However, I saw The Local menu from the Bliss and they have a Turkey Pot Pie.  Has anyone tried it?   The Local menu seems to be a step up from the deteriorating O'Sheehans menu IMHO.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, YVRBassElectric said:

Ruben with thousand island dressing is what turned me off O'Sheehan's (I've always been served mustard)

I agree with graphicguy that the chef is probably at the bottom of the totem pole. 

If we are looking for food outside of normal meal times, I will find something on the menu to "tide me over" but I wouldn't plan to eat a meal there

A Rueben without Thousand Island? Then it’s not a Rueben!

We liked O’Sheehans on the Epic. It was a nice break from all of the richer food. The spinach artichoke dip was runny and tasteless, but the burgers were good and my daughter loved the nachos. 

Edited by FLcruisergrl

It's SO disappointing. The menu is seriously lacking, and the food has no flavor. The cheese sauce on the nachos had no taste - it's my kids favorite junk food and they only took a few bites. The spinach dip, as others have mentioned, is watery. It should be think and creamy with a cheesy flavor, but it tastes like dipping a chip into some bland broth. The burger bun was twice the size of the burger, and dry. 

I remember Blue Lagoon and remember enjoying the spinach dip. They also had mozzarella sticks there, which Osheahans doesn't.

And why is there an upcharge for ice cream or milkshakes? 

We ate in O'Sheehan's a few times during our 2 week Dawn Cruise last October.  

I enjoyed the chicken fajita, but my husband ordered a plain hamburger without cheese.  The waiter misunderstood and brought him a cheeseburger.

They did bring him another burger, as requested and all was well.  

23 hours ago, cliffd64 said:

O'Sheehans on Getaway was a pleasant surprise with their dinner specials, especially the Prime Rib dinner...  The normal menu is average, and some swear by their chicken wings, but if you get the chance to have the Prie Rib there, it is actually quite good.

It has been the same menu, lunch and dinner, for the last 3 days on Epic. Just sandwiches and junk food. 

4 hours ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

It has been the same menu, lunch and dinner, for the last 3 days on Epic. Just sandwiches and junk food. 

The specials were not part of a menu, they were advertised on cards on the tables....  It could be that they don't do those specials any longer...

I like O'Sheehan's late at night after a comedy show or Howl at the Moon. Otherwise, it's not my favorite. I do like getting their wings - extra crispy with the sauce on the side. Usually we do those one night for dinner. And the omelets are fine for breakfast, but I would still rather go to the MDR. The quality is not the greatest, but I don't remember it ever being amazing food - just good food to go with a beer and hang out for a bit.

We ate at OSheehans 3 times on the Breakaway two weeks ago. It was our go to place when our excursions arrived after 2:30. I loved their ruebens. I make home made ruebens with thousand island dressing...never mustard.

We tried the buffet once...took a bite....left and never came back.

22 hours ago, mking8288 said:

We ate several times at OSH earlier this month on the Escape (also sailed her last Halloween for a week) and it's basic comfort food, nothing to write home or brag about - we choose it out of convenience, and, as alternative to MDR as the last place we'll go is the crowded buffet, whether that "Washy Washy" thing was being enforced or not, enough "gross" behavior seen to turn us off ... we'll head upstairs during off-peak hours & grab something in the late evening, etc.   

OSH is good for a quick and HOT breakfast and lunch, within its limited choices - b/c it has its own small gallery or kitchen behind those doors.  Service is somewhat inconsistent but generally acceptable, just don't expect or demand attentive servers when you are seated in the pub area outside the main section - speaking from our own experience, YMMV.  We're not attracted to its nightly specials, whether it's the Seafood Basket, BBQ/Grilled Specials, or Prime Ribs ... didn't see offers for Lamb (I could've missed it). 

Wings are similar to those from Papa John or local greasy joints, we asked for ours with (any of them) sauces on the side, as they drown it & made it soggy for our taste.  It's not bad, being complimentary; and, next time, I'm going to double up my order of fish & chips, getting 2 small pieces with a meal/supper is kind of silly for "most" typical adults on a cruise (LOL) ... no wonder, the buffet is always popular with its AYCE approach.  

The stock soup choices ... no worst than the Vietnamese Chicken Pho in the MDR, available there each & every day whenever it's open at noon for services.  Can't recall the soup specials we tried but it was edible, nobody gone hungry in our cabin.  Sandwiches & burgers were fine, properly cooked - I recommend they "downsize" their buns (bread & rolls) to match the portions served.  Fries looked & tasted like those from McD ... but, when hungry & stomach isn't quite full yet, it will do.  

Compared to late night "free" options on Carnival or Royal Caribbean ships, advantage to NCL (reluctantly ... of course.)  P.S.  we absolutely avoid the hot dogs, period. 

Lastly, one's "meal" experience at OSH are likely to be better on older/mid-sized ships like the Gem, Dawn or equivalent than newer mega ships - but as a whole, services had been better but quantity & quality, NOT.  How, the salad options are worst in 2018-19 than 2014-15 ... the Chef's Salad could've been a meal in itself then, nowadays, hmmm.  

This is probably one of the few times that I get a bit more critical & serious with food & eating, especially with the spotlight on OSH - as we see it, it is biased, personal & 100% subjective in nature.  Hence, disclaimers applied - YMMV but it was still acceptable & enjoyable, and when it's a quick walk & elevator ride from your stateroom - instead of making that long trip to go elsewher, or calling for/paying from Room Service or eating elsewhere - it's not evil.  

What does YMMV mean? Never seen that before!

YMMV. also ymmv. written abbreviation for your mileage may vary: used, for example on social media and in text messages and emails, to mean that you understand people may have a different opinion or experience to yours: Their first album is better, but of course YMMV.

Verbatium by Google Search

Edited by mking8288

5 hours ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

I haven't looked on the tables. I'll do that. 

Don't bother. Epic does not serve prime rib, seafood basket, ribs and shrimp dinners in OSheehans. I asked last week and was told they had been discontinued with no further explanation given. It is appetizers, sandwiches, desserts and junk food.

Edited by blcruising

52 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

YMMV. also ymmv. written abbreviation for your mileage may vary: used, for example on social media and in text messages and emails, to mean that you understand people may have a different opinion or experience to yours: Their first album is better, but of course YMMV.

Verbatium by Google Search

OK, thanks for the explanation. I'm on FB a fair amount and have not seen that. I don't do Twitter, though. Maybe it's common there. In any case, thanks!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, blcruising said:

Don't bother. Epic does not serve prime rib, seafood basket, ribs and shrimp dinners in OSheehans. I asked last week and was told they had been discontinued with no further explanation given. It is appetizers, sandwiches, desserts and junk food.

I always wondered why they had the specials anyway: am not surprised it has been cancelled. With all the dinner dinner choices it never made sense to me they would offer prime rib for instance. I think of O'Sheehan's simply as a place to grab a bite or just for a change. 

4 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

I always wondered why they had the specials anyway: am not surprised it has been cancelled. With all the dinner dinner choices it never made sense to me they would offer prime rib for instance. I think of O'Sheehan's simply as a place to grab a bite or just for a change. 

The only reason I could think of would be to shift demand from dining room during peak times. Or for people that felt dining room was too formal.  It was an option for people who wanted to be served their food in a casual setting. I agree with you. I used the dining room, so didn't miss it.

Edited by blcruising

It is not true that a Rueben with mustard is just a corned beef sandwich. What the Rueben should have, but was in short supply on the one we ordered in O'Sheehans, is sauerkraut. Also, swiss cheese. I like mine with mustard. We had lunch at O'Sheehans, it was really a late lunch snack. We ordered the artichoke dip and something else as appetizers, which they totally forgot. We also had the salads with grilled chicken or grilled salmon, and then shared 2 Ruebens for the 3 of us. Is it great? In my mind there is little to eat on a cruise ship that is really great, but my standards are pretty high. People rave about Cagney's steaks. We did not have unlimited specialty dining, but I looked at the menu. Angus steaks are not worth paying an extra $30 for. I don't eat steak at home that often, but when I do, I only buy Prime, which is far better than what they have.

On the Escape (Jan 6-20) The daily specials at O'Sheehans and the buffet were announced or placarded daily over the ship's PA system, at the buffet entrances and at the restaurant reservations desk next to guest services.  

I never had a hot dog on land, but always get them at O'Sheehans.  The fresh baked on board buns are part of if for me.  Also, I love the onion gravy on the mashed potatoes in the bangers and mash.  Discovered this as it makes a good 'too late' for breakfast.  The bangers are mild tasting sausage, but I would be happy just with those mashed potatoes and gravy.

We've been on the Dawn the last three years and have found that the O'Sheeans food has been consistent. We love the Thai Chili wings. Everything else is as bad as food you'd get at Chili's or Fridays. The service has been slow and forgetful. The bartenders are great.