SLR protection

garythetourist

My family and I are going on our first Alaskan cruise in late 2019.  I imagine a lot of rain during our trip and I am concerned about protecting my SLR camera and lenses from the rain.  Does anyone care to share an tips for camera/lens protection?  I will appreciate it greatly. 

My Canon goes everywhere with me - wishing it could get FF miles. Easy solution, I always keep the entire camera in a heavy duty freezer  zip lock bag and keep it, lenses and telephoto in my back pack..  The big  camera case is one item I rarely pack due to luggage restrictions on flights. On a tour or while experiencing rain, the camera might be over my neck, but under my water proof rain jacket. 

My iphone has a waterproof case, so I do use that in torrential rain and manage to snap terrible pix.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill
  • Like 2

I use Pentax DSLR cameras and lenses which are weather sealed. I use my gear in rain, snow, fog, next to waterfalls, wherever... In really extreme conditions I will revert to a smaller camera rated for prolonged underwater usage, but the weather sealed top-of-the-line DSLRs from several of the companies seem a worthwhile  investment for anyone doing much outdoor photography. 

Stan

• Like 1

I travel with 2 Canon 5D bodies and multiple lenses. Generally leave the bag on the ship and go ashore with the 2 lenses I figure I will use. Also take spare batteries, memory cards, filters, etc in pockets.

Carry the primary body with strap wrapped around my hand and the 2nd body over the shoulder. Never had any issues.

If raining, I might only take 1 body and have it covered by a plastic camera bag and/or keep it under my jacket.

• Like 1