Pop up Sel de Mer, on the Maasdam currently

CJcruzer

There are 2 scheduled pop up Sel de Mer dinners currently on the 20 day Maasdam EXC in depth cruise,

The one girl said I would receiver 4* Mariner discount,. Went to find hubby to discuss dates - went to Pinnacle Grill to book, and another girl said no..   

I called guest services, who in turn called the Pinnacle Grill Manager, and the answer was NO Mariner discount for the pop up dinner events.

So those of you who have received discounts in the past, good for you that you were lucky,

I am not so impressed with the lack of coordination in information on various things..... The right hand sometimes does not know what the left hand is doing!.   

Enjoying the cruise, and you can read more about it on Btimmer's blog (I believe he posted the link in another thread).

1 hour ago, CJcruzer said:

There are 2 scheduled pop up Sel de Mer dinners currently on the 20 day Maasdam EXC in depth cruise,

The one girl said I would receiver 4* Mariner discount,. Went to find hubby to discuss dates - went to Pinnacle Grill to book, and another girl said no..   

I called guest services, who in turn called the Pinnacle Grill Manager, and the answer was NO Mariner discount for the pop up dinner events.

So those of you who have received discounts in the past, good for you that you were lucky,

I am not so impressed with the lack of coordination in information on various things..... The right hand sometimes does not know what the left hand is doing!.   

Enjoying the cruise, and you can read more about it on Btimmer's blog (I believe he posted the link in another thread).

I am sorry to hear this.

There is supposed to be a discount for the pop up.

I hit this problem last year, addressed it and, it was supposed to have been resolved.

If you have access to internet on board, I would reach out to the Mariner's Society now, ask for confirmation and advise them that the ship is not honouring it.  

Glad you are enjoying the cruise despite this issue 🙂 

I did receive the discount on the Rotterdam last summer for two evenings in the Sel de Mer pop up.  There was no question at the time of the discount.  Kazu's advice is good.  Contact the Mariner Society.

Here is what the FAQ says:

The Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto and Tamarind all qualify for Star Level discounts. Le Cirque and De Librije and themed evenings in the Pinnacle Grill such as Chinese Dinner, Japanese Dinner, Indonesian Dinner, Australian Dinner, South America Dinner and Radio Show Dinner also receive Star Level discounts. Master Chef Dinner, Cellar Master Dinner, and restaurant packages are excluded from the discounts. 

It doesn't mention Sel de Mer, but I would think it fits in the category of Le Cirque and De Librije.  

We were on the Maasdam in October and had the same problem with the Sel de Mer dinner.  We had prepaid for the meal.  I had an email from the Mariner Society saying it was included, but I was not able to resolve the issue on board.  Once we were home I wrote to Holland American and the discount was refunded to us.  So my advice is to enjoy the meal and if you do not get the discount write once you are home.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Here is what the FAQ says:

The Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto and Tamarind all qualify for Star Level discounts. Le Cirque and De Librije and themed evenings in the Pinnacle Grill such as Chinese Dinner, Japanese Dinner, Indonesian Dinner, Australian Dinner, South America Dinner and Radio Show Dinner also receive Star Level discounts. Master Chef Dinner, Cellar Master Dinner, and restaurant packages are excluded from the discounts. 

It doesn't mention Sel de Mer, but I would think it fits in the category of Le Cirque and De Librije.  

I think part of the problem is that the FAQ hasn’t been updated.

Le Cirque was replaced by Sel de Mer so if this was corrected it could help in situations like this, I think?

• Thanks 1

Had the same issue on the Westerdam. We had a confirmation e-mail from the mariner society with us after reading about Kazu's experience.  It was almost an insult that the staff did not accept the e-mail statement until they had confirmed the statement with the mariner society. It was eventually honoured two weeks later.

We were in a Neptune suite and the lounge concierge service was not even close to the quality we were used to on other HAL ships. A nice smile is good but executing a role sincerely and efficiently is far more important. There was far too much finger pointing to other departments as being the cause of problems. That behaviour always irritates me and is usually a sign of poor management, a "stove piped" organisation and a lack of team building.

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

I think part of the problem is that the FAQ hasn’t been updated.

Le Cirque was replaced by Sel de Mer so if this was corrected it could help in situations like this, I think?

That was my thinking.   We should be contacting the Mariner Society and ask them to update the FAQ.

10 minutes ago, old mike said:

Had the same issue on the Westerdam. We had a confirmation e-mail from the mariner society with us after reading about Kazu's experience.  It was almost an insult that the staff did not accept the e-mail statement until they had confirmed the statement with the mariner society. It was eventually honoured two weeks later.

I am very glad that my thread was of benefit to you and that you were able to get the benefit you were entitled to.

6 minutes ago, SeaBands said:

It always depends on who you ask. If you don't get the Mariner credit just go to the purser at the front desk. They will always help.

Sorry, I disagree.  I and another roll call member spent significant time last year at the Front Desk, purser, etc.  And, Vict0riann even had a copy of her old bill on her IPad which showed her discount on another ship.

4 hours ago, dfish said:

That was my thinking.   We should be contacting the Mariner Society and ask them to update the FAQ.

I asked that the FAQ be updated last August before my Sep/18 cruise.  I also requested that all PG Managers be emailed and advised to ensure the credit is granted.   

OP, I agree that you should contact the Mariner Society while on your cruise to confirm that the discount applies.  I hope it works out for you.  That being said, one should not have to chase after one's benefits!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

OP, I agree that you should contact the Mariner Society while on your cruise to confirm that the discount applies.  I hope it works out for you.  That being said, one should not have to chase after one's benefits!

That was my aggraation last year.  Fighting for what we are supposed to get.

It shouldn't be necessary at all.

3 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I asked that the FAQ be updated last August before my Sep/18 cruise.  I also requested that all PG Managers be emailed and advised to ensure the credit is granted.   

It is sad that it has been ignored for so long.  It should really be a simple thing to do.  And, you are 100% correct that we should not have to be chasing after our benefits.  

update to situation:

I tell PG manager I have screenshots of posts on CC on this matter, especially one from fall Maasdam where hal finally acknowedged. the discount and reimbursed after the cruiser once home.

PG manager says as of "last week" the Sel de Mer is not applicable.. 🙄 how convenient NOT.. if you believe that, I have many bridges to sell you..   

received a reply from Mariner Society within 24 hours.

Dear Carol,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line.

We are sorry for the misunderstanding while on board. The 3 & 4 Star 25% discount and 5 Star 50% discount for the surcharge does apply to all evenings in the Pinnacle Grill, Le Cirque, de Librije, Sel de Mer, Dutch Cafe and Farm to Table. 

Please note that the two 5 Star complimentary Pinnacle Grill dinners do not include the Le Cirque, de Librije or Master Chef Table evenings.   

To make reservations please log onto www.hollandamerica.com and sign into your My Account, or call our Ship Services Department toll free at 800-541-1576.  Your discount on pre-purchases will be credited to your onboard bill.

For additional terms and conditions of the Mariner Society benefits please log onto www.hollandamerica.com

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.  We look forward to welcoming you back on board in the near future.

Kind Regards,

****** ( I deleted the name for privacy reasons)
Mariner Society
Holland America Line
800-547-9139
206-626-7359
Monday-Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm PST

Savor the Journey

so i am a happy camper and call the PG manager - still no way but he would like to see this.. i get front desk to make 2 copies, one for PG manager, one for Hotel Manager

Hubby is so annoyed he said to cancel our PG dinner, (which I upgraded to a dinner from my TA complimentary lunch). 

I have written an email to the Office of the President and to Orlando Ashford email address.. 

Edited by CJcruzer

Good news on the reply from the Mariner Society but...

WHAT?  You have the confirmation and the PG manager doesn’t want to see it?

WHAT?  Email the Mariner Society and ask them to escalate this to Gerald who is in charge of the Mariner Society as well.

The PG manager needs some real “retraining” if he/she isn’t willing to see the letter from the Mariner’s Society.  Do a Let Us Know card too and let them know what is going on.  That will get some attention, I hope.

I’m really sorry to hear this Carol.  Not right or fair at all.  

It leaves a bad taste in your mouth, I know 😞 

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Good news on the reply from the Mariner Society but...

WHAT?  You have the confirmation and the PG manager doesn’t want to see it?

WHAT?  Email the Mariner Society and ask them to escalate this to Gerald who is in charge of the Mariner Society as well.

The PG manager needs some real “retraining” if he/she isn’t willing to see the letter from the Mariner’s Society.  Do a Let Us Know card too and let them know what is going on.  That will get some attention, I hope.

I’m really sorry to hear this Carol.  Not right or fair at all.  

It leaves a bad taste in your mouth, I know 😞 

This is absolutely ridiculous.  This PG manager definitely needs re-education or a new career path. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.  

I once had a problem with the internet manager.  I reported the situation to the Front Desk and they sent him a directive, which he ignored.  I told the Front Desk that he had ignored the directive, but that I was not inclined to spend my cruise chasing after him for what I should have had all along.  I would just take it up with Seattle when I returned home.  The Front Desk person told me they had the situation fully documented and it would support me.  Sure enough, I mentioned it in the after cruise evaluation survey and the next thing I knew, I had the cost of my internet covered in the form of OBC for the next cruise.  Sometimes, it isn't worth the chase at the time.

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Sure enough, I mentioned it in the after cruise evaluation survey and the next thing I knew, I had the cost of my internet covered in the form of OBC for the next cruise.  Sometimes, it isn't worth the chase at the time.

The only thing is, someone might not want to sail HAL again if they go through this foolishness.

Having been through it once, if I faced it again I wouldn’t be interested in OBC for a future cruise.  I paid and want my $ back 😉 

• Like 1

The way I interpret the OP's comment, the PG Manager DOES want to see the email.  Frankly, I think the Mariner Society rep should have copied the Maasdam PG Manager in their response to the OP.  I am also dismayed that the response still refers to Le Cirque which has been gone for at least a year, hasn't it?  

12 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

The way I interpret the OP's comment, the PG Manager DOES want to see the email.  Frankly, I think the Mariner Society rep should have copied the Maasdam PG Manager in their response to the OP.  I am also dismayed that the response still refers to Le Cirque which has been gone for at least a year, hasn't it?  

I don’t think OP (Carol) said he would see it.  From her post “so i am a happy camper and call the PG manager - still no way but he would like to see this.

Le Cirque has been long gone.  You’re right it shouldn’t be referenced.

Frankly I think this should have been escalated to the Manager of the Mariner Society and yes, I agree the Maasdam should have been contacted.

this is really disturbing when someone has an email confirming their benefits and the PG manager doesn’t want to see it.

It had better not happen again to me in April.  If it does, I won’t waste time.  I know who to email and I will not be a happy camper.  The emails will go to those that assured me that the retraining had been done. 😉