Are the beds hard

mnkauf

Yes, as hard as the floor.  After 2 really bad experiences with hard mattresses on the Liberty and the Anthem, we now bring 2 twin memory foam toppers so we can sleep and not have to eat anti inflammatories all week.  I’m not sure what Royal was thinking but their current system sucks.  After I’ve spent $2,500 for a balcony cabin, I should not have to drag mattress toppers with me in order not to hurt on my entire cruise.  I have noted this on my survey as many others have as well.  😣

• Like 3

I just ordered my king size memory foam mattress topper from Amazon. We are sailing on Serenade for the 16 night crossing and there is no way I am risking get stuck with a hard bed for that many nights! Since it is a one way trip with a flight home, we will have to just leave the topper behind, but we figure it is well worth the $50 for a guarantee of 16 nights of good sleep. Hopefully the cabin stewart will be able to just leave it on the bed for the next passengers. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have traveled on Royal Caribbean cruises several times and were on the Ovation of the seas for a 12 day trip to New Zealand over the New Years 2017-2018. On all previous cruises on Royal Caribbean, both my wife and I have loved the bedding in the suite we have had. On this cruise, the hard bed was the worst I have experienced and although the room attendant tried to help, we both have said we would not travel on Royal Caribbean again. No use spending that amount of money and feel like you are sleeping on a rock.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 12:04 PM, mnkauf said:

We will be cruising on Liberty of the Seas in March and read that some people think the beds are hard.  I do not like hard beds and trying to determine if I need to bring a foam mattress. 

YES!  Every single sailing I have been on.. they are hard. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 2:30 PM, asalligo said:

This was my only complaint on an otherwise perfect cruise. Serenade of the Seas last month and it was like sleeping on the ground. 

I have also sailed with Serenade and not felt the beds were too hard. The cabin attendant did put 3-4 thin mattress covers under the sheet, though.

YMMV

I have bought two inflatable 'mattresses' - I bring them each cruise. I haven't needed them yet. I guess I'd better keep on bringing them so as not to jinx my luck. That way the mattresses will never be too hard 🙂

Edited by ditmar2007

On 2/12/2019 at 8:28 PM, ckrobyn said:

Leaving this weekend on Adventure and you can be sure I have my Klymit Static V air mattress packed and ready to go!

For those wondering - they are amazing, weigh less than a pound and you can find them on Amazon.

Checking this out, thank you!  That Indy bed was rough!

On 2/13/2019 at 8:03 AM, cello56 said:

I just ordered my king size memory foam mattress topper from Amazon. We are sailing on Serenade for the 16 night crossing and there is no way I am risking get stuck with a hard bed for that many nights! Since it is a one way trip with a flight home, we will have to just leave the topper behind, but we figure it is well worth the $50 for a guarantee of 16 nights of good sleep. Hopefully the cabin stewart will be able to just leave it on the bed for the next passengers. 

This is exactly what I said we'd do for the next cruise.  We tend to even prefer firm mattresses but both of us on Indy had far more aches and pains than typical and it wasn't helping my recovering knee (surgery a few months ago).  Though son and GF in next cabin didn't have any complaints really but I chalked that up to being 22 and on a cruise 🙂

Yes, the beds are hard - every Royal ship I have been on has had uncomfortable beds.  They range from being new but very hard or old and trough-like.

I was on Carnival Pride earlier this month and was pleasantly surprised at how wonderfully comfortable the bed was.  It felt new and while firm, it was very well padded and comfy and I slept very well.  The linens seemed new and were of better quality than those on the Royal ships on which I have sailed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bookish Angel said:

Yes, the beds are hard - every Royal ship I have been on has had uncomfortable beds.  They range from being new but very hard or old and trough-like.

I was on Carnival Pride earlier this month and was pleasantly surprised at how wonderfully comfortable the bed was.  It felt new and while firm, it was very well padded and comfy and I slept very well.  The linens seemed new and were of better quality than those on the Royal ships on which I have sailed.

That has been the case for a long time on CCL. Their beds and bedding are very comfortable.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 3:25 PM, pcur said:

I find them hard, and sometimes wake up with a numb hip because I sleep soundly in one position at night.

I bought this recently for our upcoming cruises.  We currently have it on the bed where we are staying in an Airbnb for a while, and it's very comfortable.  The comfort level for me is 3" thick; $35.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Authentic-Comfort-3-Inch-Orthopedic-5-Zone-Foam-Mattress-Topper/40574078?selected=true

d9154aa0-7eca-424a-9824-e90d4f10aed6_1.5af0a08c46957c4c64a0d63bc6fc5c21.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

This is a queen size, and it folds/squishes/fits in our 24-26", single cavity suitcase.  Southwest = no charge.  Other airlines = it's worth the extra cost to us.

What size would you suggest for a Royal Cruise.  I assume a king size as the bed is basically 2 twins pushed together?  

On 1/28/2019 at 3:25 PM, pcur said:

I find them hard, and sometimes wake up with a numb hip because I sleep soundly in one position at night.

I bought this recently for our upcoming cruises.  We currently have it on the bed where we are staying in an Airbnb for a while, and it's very comfortable.  The comfort level for me is 3" thick; $35.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Authentic-Comfort-3-Inch-Orthopedic-5-Zone-Foam-Mattress-Topper/40574078?selected=true

d9154aa0-7eca-424a-9824-e90d4f10aed6_1.5af0a08c46957c4c64a0d63bc6fc5c21.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

This is a queen size, and it folds/squishes/fits in our 24-26", single cavity suitcase.  Southwest = no charge.  Other airlines = it's worth the extra cost to us.

What size would you suggest for a Royal Cruise?  I assume a king size as the bed is basically 2 twins pushed together.