Where have the Roll Calls gone?

TNCruzer56

Been away from CCL for about 4-5 years now. Got both kids off the payroll and discovering Europe, Alaska & and mostly other unique and boutique cruise lines. Booked the Miracle this spring and discovered there was not even a roll call for it. Years ago we`d have thousands of posts in Spring and now there`s only a smattering for each cruise. Is it other social media, folks just got tired of it, irritated by getting kicked off, or all the above. Just curious...Used to have a lot of fun there! 

All of the above.  Yours is a common question across the boards of all mass-market lines that surfaces with increasing frequency.

While not universally true (many will say they have participated in jumpin' roll calls and meet-and-greets), it seems more and more people are not cruising to meet and hang with others but to enjoy their vacation individually.

It is often the new cruiser and the veteran cruiser more likely to be interested in a roll call or M&G for intuitively obvious reasons.  As cruising continues to gain in popularity, so does the "in the middle" group that isn't interested in pre-cruise discussions and on-board chat sessions.  Of course, a vibrant facilitator of a roll call or M&G can impact that greatly but its becoming much rarer that it happens naturally.

The best suggestion is to kick-start your own roll call and see how it goes.  It would be a better barometer for you to judge today's perspective of who participates (and why).

• Like 1

FB is great for Roll Calls.

Unknown people get to know your real name, address and the exact dates you'll be away from home.

It's perfect for planning nefarious activities.

-signed, off FB for 3.5+ years and never going back there. WasteBook is more like it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

ProgRockCruiser, you can reveal as much or as little about yourself as you like on FB. 

Oh, I agree with that and everything else you wrote.

But my FB profile is relatively public, as are most people's, on purpose.

So I prefer to use CC for my cruise-related socializing, and FB for everything else.

33 minutes ago, CA_Cruzing said:

Unknown people get to know your real name, address and the exact dates you'll be away from home.

-signed, off FB for 3.5+ years and never going back there. WasteBook is more like it.

Why would anyone with good common sense post their address on FB, or any social media site? That's just asking for trouble. Sure, you can post your real. But if you've only posted your name, and maybe the state you live in, that's not enough to prompt someone to plan "nefarious activities". (example): "Hi! I'm Tommy Jefferson. I live in Pennsylvania." There are probably a lot of Tommy Jeffersons living in Pennsylvania. With no more information than that, what are the odds that the average criminal would be able to figure out where Tommy lives?

Edited by beachbum53

12 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

Why would anyone with good common sense post their address on FB, or any social media site? That's just asking for trouble. Sure, you can post your real. But if you've only posted your name, and maybe the state you live in, that's not enough to prompt someone to plan "nefarious activities". (example): "Hi! I'm Tommy Jefferson. I live in Pennsylvania." There are probably a lot of Tommy Jeffersons living in Pennsylvania. With no more information than that, what are the odds that the average criminal would be able to figure out where Tommy lives?

give me a few simple clues to who you are and i can track you down pretty quickly via the internet.

i don't need your address. i just need you name and city you live in/near. from there the web is full of resources to mine your data and location.

you clearly have no idea how much info is public and on the web.

FB is an open book to trouble. do as you wish. that's on you.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

As noted by @CA_Cruzing, if I look at a person's posts on a roll-call (which in and of itself will contain useful info: "here's my wife Princess Leia and I at Buff Wild Wings before we leave for the cruise!  Go Bears!"), and then access their public profile, I can typically see the city they live in, often where they were born (or grew up), sometimes who they are married to, and enough profile photos to mine via facial recognition software that a "bad actor" (I am really getting annoyed with that term) could get way more info than you would ever fear. I suspect if someone did that to my profile they might end up knowing more about me than me.  :classic_wink:

FB and other social network conspiracy theories aside...I never had much use for roll calls.  I think I might have joined one many years back but found it just ended up being bunch of folks going back and forth with "inside jokes" as many of them already kew each other and other than a courtesy "hello and welcome" post there wasn't much to talk about with them.   I would much rather just start talking to someone while getting a beverage at the bar, waiting in line for something or on an excursion.  (Sadly, this is even starting to get harder as many younger folks seam to have their faces buried in their phones (even on ships) and actual face to face interactions with other humans is really tough for them.  (off my little soap box now)

Edited by TruckerDave
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, CLS/KAS said:

Agree!....a question is asked.. an answer is given.. maybe not to ones total liking,,, and instead of what a few years ago, used to be a friendly correction, or a good lead to what was asked... now is an argument between people which is better/right/ most logical... I have 15 people on my roll call which I started last year..... Have 135 people on FB.. BUT.. they ALL have so many questions...This site has been very valuable for me through the years.. and will hopefully continue to be...Semper Fi Brothers

Anonymity = Toxicity 

I guarantee you it would be much more civil here if everyone had to identify themselves in a meaningful way.

Roll calls were great in the day when CruiseCritic sponsored group cruises. 

I had many wonderful group cruises, and even hosted a few. 

Honestly, I miss those days very much. As I'm not a facebooker.

Ive participated in the roll calls and signed up for the meet and greets, which if they actually happen, are late in the cruise, which makes it kinda pointless. 

11 hours ago, LostPuppy said:

No more CC roll calls for me!  On one cruise, the "leader" set up a cabin crawl. She found out we had a Vista Suite and insisted on our cabin being part of the crawl.  We declined, but she showed up with a dozen people at our door and tried to barge her way in with the group.  We ended up slamming the door in her face. 

The rest of the cruise she talked trash about us.  The other members of the roll-call were confused and embarrassed by the whole thing.  Just a weird experience...

Since then, no more CC roll calls, but we have enjoyed several FB roll-calls.  In summary, there are whack jobs everywhere, including Cruise Critic....

For most people, all it takes is one instance like that to turn people off of attending Roll calls or Meet & Greets.  One in particular did it for me.  I'd tell more but every time I do, the moderators make it disappear.  

I have looked at the Meet & Greet for our upcoming cruise.  Enough have signed up for it through the Meet & Greet.  Now all of a sudden, they are not waiting for it to happen and are meeting right at sail away.  We enjoy doing our own thing at sail away.  Then it was suggested that they do a cabin crawl.  No way am I letting strangers in my cabin or even know where it is.  

For our last cruise, we sailed out of Tampa.  DW and I went up by the whale tail to watch as we went under the bridge.  There was two women up there and we talked back and forth.  We ran into them a few  times during the cruise.  On the last sea day, it was raining and we went up on the Lido Deck for a drink.  The two women and their husbands were sitting at a table and ask us to join them.  We spent the rest of the day with them and really enjoyed ourselves.  It's really a crap shoot.  Some people you meet you enjoy and others you can't wait to get away from them.

As another posters said, I think the more you cruise, the more you just want to do your own thing.  And people can say anything on Facebook without it getting removed.

19 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

But I must admit I am wary of joining a group that by definition

will know a fair amount about me, and when & where I am traveling

- even if the house remains guarded by large dogs and other family members.

Your mention of large dogs guarding the house

reminded me of this poster I found .. on the very same dreaded FBook

WARNINGposter.png

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2019 at 3:50 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

Yes, some posts got removed, including one of mine where I thought it was pretty obvious I was defending CC's stance on certain things.

So a lot of stuff has no context now.

Weird.

What you list above is the main reason FB is taking on more Carnival info and we are losing it here. 

My first 3 cruises I had excellent roll calls. My honemoon cruise especially was special. I met folks on all 3 roll calls that I am still in touch with up to  today and some of  them I can call my friends.

Roll calls like folks said are a crap shoot and since those first 3 I have had pretty meh roll calls and some that folks did not even turn up to pre arranged M & G's at various times.

Once we take these online communites for what they are and not get overly personal or sensistive we should all be fine. I for one miss my roll calls of old.... ☹️. It was like the build up to Christmas taking part in those roll calls and made the precruise wait so much easier.

Our first cruise 2 years ago was out of San Juan, and while there were not many on the roll call, we did find 5 other couples that we met the night before the cruise for dinner and drinks, and then throughout the cruise, we met them a few times and did things together.  Still have a few that I communicate with and would love to cruise with again if it worked out.  The last cruise, the roll call we did was from FB (was on both here and FB), and the bulk from fb were just one big group of people.  Never really clicked with any of them, but no big deal.  I will continue to sign up for both, as I find it adds to the anticipation to talk about it with others.  

Talk about posts being removed...When I started reading this thread, it had two pages.  When I hit 'next' to go to the second page, it brought me back here.  

I join roll calls here, but I'm not a joiner for tours or onboard activities.  I take ideas, and sometimes offer others.  I just recently joined the book of faces in order to be part of a special interest group on a cruise.  Not a charter.  I have since booked another cruise and find there are three or four separate 'roll calls' for it on the Book.  I find it interesting...EM

On 1/29/2019 at 3:41 PM, CA_Cruzing said:

Do you really think thieves are joining facebook group cruise roll calls, scouring the internet for more info related to your name and city, and (assuming they actually somehow find out where you live), plotting to rob your house ? :classic_laugh: You're not that important

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

Do you really think thieves are joining facebook group cruise roll calls, scouring the internet for more info related to your name and city, and (assuming they actually somehow find out where you live), plotting to rob your house ? :classic_laugh: You're not that important

Go ahead and laugh.  You're just showing your ignorance.  Yes, it is happening.  And you don't have to be important to be a victim. You just have to be careless enough to post your real name (which Facebook does) and your vacation plans (like joining a roll call for a specific cruise date).  But go ahead and stick your head in the sand.  Odds are, you'll never be targeted.  But odds are even better that I will never be:  I'm not on FB or any social media and am careful about how much I share online.

https://abc7.com/archive/9482852/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/4119821/10-share-facebook-crime-target/

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

As @ShakyBeef said, you don't have to be important, just careless.  Of course people are scouring the internet looking for their next scam/job.  Why do you think spam emails from your lost Nigerian uncle with millions of dollar for you to inherit exist, or those phone calls letting you know your credit is OK, but they have this great offer, or the FB posts with links to a fake RayBan site that just steals your CC number?  If they got zero results, they'd stop.  But obviously it is profitable.

EDIT: Oh, and for example I have a relatively unique name.  If you know my name and state where I live, you will find my address.  Yeah, if you are John Smith from NYC it will take longer, and maybe it isn't worth the while, unless you post a photo of yourself at your favorite pub "just downstairs from my apartment", in which case...

That Superbowl series of ads from Allstate/Mayhem where he breaks into a couple's apartment because they are posting on social media that they are attending the game and he steals all their stuff and sells it was all too truthful (although the stuff you could buy wasn't really stolen - a great marketing ploy!).

Edited by ProgRockCruiser