Favorite upscale nyc restaurant

George C

Hi George,:classic_smile:  ohhhh…..I love these food threads.  I have a question for you then, I am looking for a restaurant pre-cruise..... Would you recommend one of your favorites to me?  Before you ask me what kind of food I like...…just about everything:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi George,:classic_smile:  ohhhh…..I love these food threads.  I have a question for you then, I am looking for a restaurant pre-cruise..... Would you recommend one of your favorites to me?  Before you ask me what kind of food I like...…just about everything:classic_biggrin:

We do Becco at least twice on all our nyc trips, it’s Italian and owned by a famous chef, but very reasonable prices , there is a pasta special that has 3 difference pasta  that is about 20 a person and comes with a salad. There is a huge wine list but they have a full page of wines that are all about 30 a bottle, place can be very crowded before plays it’s on 46st between 8 and 9th ave, that block is called restaurant row and lots of good restaurants and a couple of places with live music. 

Hi George:classic_biggrin:......thanks, it looks like a BIG menu.   I will be dining solo so no way I will be drinking a whole bottle of wine LOL....not in one dinner anyway.

I really only have one answer to this question: Le Bernadin.

Of the now I believe 5 Michelin 3-star restaurants in New York, this is the one you can (still potentially requires effort) get into. It is priced accordingly, but the food, wine, and service are all amazing. I've seen many lists that place it as the top overall restaurant in the country.

(No, we've not eaten at the Per Se or Eleven Madison Park. We fell in love with Le Bernadin, and the other two are significantly more expensive.)

• Like 1

Dining solo, I am guessing most restaurants don't look at you like you are crazy anymore? You know, in the old days, it was "just one"?....….yes, it is "just me"...…...I always thought, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?:classic_blink:.....the Big Apple should be past that concept…….(one would hope).

Been to Le Bernadin absolutely worth every penny. The only disclaimer is that it is a seafood restaurant. If you don’t enjoy seafood you wouldn’t like it. 

Getting back to George’s question, “quality restaurant” in Manhattan might mean something different as a reference point to other parts of the country. Quality restaurants in NYC are $500 per person and up. 😱. But there are plenty of restaurants that are good quality. 

31 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Dining solo, I am guessing most restaurants don't look at you like you are crazy anymore? You know, in the old days, it was "just one"?....….yes, it is "just me"...…...I always thought, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?:classic_blink:.....the Big Apple should be past that concept…….(one would hope).

28 minutes ago, Lois R said:

$100.00…….for me......guessing I would be able to find some good food and service:classic_biggrin:

Dining solo at higher end restaurants in NYC isn't really a problem. You can make a reservation for one in the dining room.

If you're in town on a weekday, have a late lunch. Dinner at Le Bernadin is $160 plus tax, tip, and drinks. That's for four courses.(two first courses, main, and dessert).  Lunch is $90 for three courses. The last reservation for lunch is around 2:30. Figure two glasses of wine, tax, tip, and you've eaten in one of the best restaurants in NYC for around $175. Not cheap by any means, but it's so easy to hit $100 in Manhattan, especially if you have a drink or two, even at chain places (banish that thought!).

A thought...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, George C said:

Le Bernadin is across the street from our hotel the Michelangelo 

I think I saw that last time we were there. I didn't know where Michelangelo was, and spotted it coming out of Le Bernadin...

I think you have your answer, George!

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Dining solo at higher end restaurants in NYC isn't really a problem. You can make a reservation for one in the dining room.

If you're in town on a weekday, have a late lunch. Dinner at Le Bernadin is $160 plus tax, tip, and drinks. That's for four courses.(two first courses, main, and dessert).  Lunch is $90 for three courses. The last reservation for lunch is around 2:30. Figure two glasses of wine, tax, tip, and you've eaten in one of the best restaurants in NYC for around $175. Not cheap by any means, but it's so easy to hit $100 in Manhattan, especially if you have a drink or two, even at chain places (banish that thought!).

A thought...

That is a GREAT thought.  Thank you.:classic_biggrin:..……..my flight arrives at 1:30pm on a Tuesday. Not sure how long things will take, luggage and cab to the hotel...…..and circumstances being what they are, NYC...if I have to splurge and pay 200.00 for the meal with wine, I will do it.:classic_smile:...oh....and I am always in for eating at the bar (if the restaurant has one).

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

That is a GREAT thought.  Thank you.:classic_biggrin:..……..my flight arrives at 1:30pm on a Tuesday. Not sure how long things will take, luggage and cab to the hotel...…..and circumstances being what they are, NYC...if I have to splurge and pay 200.00 for the meal with wine, I will do it.:classic_smile:...oh....and I am always in for eating at the bar (if the restaurant has one).

If you're getting in at 1:30, late lunch on arrival date isn't going to work. If you have Wednesday in town as well, it might.

I'm more familiar with Le Bernadin than the other name restaurants. Le Bernadin does have a lounge that's first come/first served. I believe (but have never done it) you can order off of the full menu there, at either the lunch or dinner rate. That's probably a good option for a Tuesday and would alleviate the need for reservations, but if you're really are going to do dinner, look into a reservation.

Hi, thanks for the response.:classic_biggrin:  I am staying in lower Manhattan so I will ask for some help from the Concierge.  I have a ticket to see BEAUTIFUL that evening so I will have to get an early dinner because

eating after 9 won't work for me.  I am sure there are plenty of restaurants to choose from. My hotel is

The Beekman and it is within walking distance of the 9/11 Museum.  I will take a cab to the theater from wherever I am having dinner.

13 minutes ago, George C said:

My favorite bar is a couple of blocks away and highly rated zagat steak place Gallagher’s it been there for a hundred years and they pour you a really good drink. 

George, I just googled this place...…...looks really good:classic_smile:

29 minutes ago, Lois R said:

George, I just googled this place...…...looks really good:classic_smile:

I have seen some famous people there long time ago was having a drink and George C Scott was eating there , they have a large bar that you could eat at. 

Have you eaten downstairs in the Bar Room at the 21 Club?  Clubby and it would be convenient for one. They may serve at the bar as well.

Especially convenient to Broadway theaters on 50-54th St (Circle on the Square, Gershwin, Winter Garden, Broadway, August Wilson, Neil Simon, Studio 54)

On 2/2/2019 at 11:05 PM, George C said:

Looking to try a new upscale nyc restaurant, we have several restaurants we love but want to try something new, loved delmonico last year. 

Upscale?   Try Eleven Madison Park.  We had a fabulous dinner there this past May!

• Like 1

Union Square Cafe. I Never visit NYC wihout going there. Best calimari in the world!

Very friendly to singles. I love the bar when I am alone. You must get a reservation, though. I have not been since they moved, however anything done by Danny Meyer is top notch.

Edited by ptrpanpens

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

I’ve heard only amazing things about this place. But isn’t it a $500 pp place?

Tasting menu is $335 per person, prepaid. I don't believe that includes drinks or gratuity. It might include taxes...

So, yeah, $500 per person is probably a good estimate. Never been.