Transportation to San Pedro

southerngoose

I will fly into LAX the evening before the cruise departs.   I'm staying overnight at an airport hotel, since I'm arriving after dark.   What would be the best way to get to the port?   Should I try to get transport from the hotel or go back to the airport and try to get transport from there?   

Even after dark, I wouldn't stay at LAX...I'd immediately get an Uber to San Pedro and stay at the Crowne Plaza...Just so I wouldn't have to deal with traffic and logistics in the morning...Also, if "after dark" means you still need to eat dinner somewhere, there's virtually nothing at LAX...From the Crowne Plaza San Pedro, within a block, you can walk to San Pedro Brewing Co. or Green Onion or others...then not worry about sleeping in the next morning...

BUT, if you are dead set on staying at the airport, definitely DON'T head back to LAX for your transportation--you would be heading back to a transportation zoo...Shuttles will have you waiting and wasting time, then looping around the airport waiting to fill up...

At worst, just get an Uber from whatever hotel directly to the pier...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Even after dark, I wouldn't stay at LAX...I'd immediately get an Uber to San Pedro and stay at the Crowne Plaza...Just so I wouldn't have to deal with traffic and logistics in the morning...Also, if "after dark" means you still need to eat dinner somewhere, there's virtually nothing at LAX...From the Crowne Plaza San Pedro, within a block, you can walk to San Pedro Brewing Co. or Green Onion or others...then not worry about sleeping in the next morning...

BUT, if you are dead set on staying at the airport, definitely DON'T head back to LAX for your transportation--you would be heading back to a transportation zoo...Shuttles will have you waiting and wasting time, then looping around the airport waiting to fill up...

At worst, just get an Uber from whatever hot

el directly to the pier...

This has worked for us as well Crowne Plaza has a shuttle  to pier, but don't know if they offer Airport pickup

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CaboWabo62 said:

This has worked for us as well Crowne Plaza has a shuttle  to pier, but don't know if they offer Airport pickup

Not in one of their vans.  The Crowne uses SuperShuttle as I remember and as part of a package of overnight stay for ocean cruisers.  Now we book in advance SuperShuttle to the Crowne and then use the hotel shuttle to the ship.  One could walk to the ship if you don't mind dragging your luggage and walking across the very large parking lot.

Another hotel alternative...take Uber/Lyft to the Doubletree in San Pedro.

It's a little further from the port (maybe 2 miles?) & restaurants, but they have a free shuttle that will take you to the port, stores or restaurants.

We stayed at the CP once and that was enough. The check-in was disorganized and took forever

No one told us how to use the elevator (have to use your room card to make it work)

Disorganized shuttle to the port (no reserved time, just show up & join the crowd with pushing & shoving to get on the shuttle)

We used Park & Stay and couldn't get a valet to go get our car when we left (had to DIY)

In comparison, the DT beats CP hands down. Check-in has always been fast & efficient

They give us warm chocolate chip cookies and 2 waters when we check-in

The port shuttle has sign up times...no pushing & shoving, just show up on time and get on the shuttle

For those who drive to the airport, DT has FREE parking for the duration of your cruise. We left our car there for 43 days one time. No problemo, except our battery died while we were gone. The hotel got one of the valets to jump start our car...no charge.

• Like 2

We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza many times finding the check in to be efficient and the desk personnel to be friendly and helpful.  They are consistent with other Crowne Plaza hotels we have stayed at in the past all across the country.  We always go to the port as early as possible and have never had a crowding issue getting the shuttle.  We always fly to San Pedro 1400 miles from our home so cannot comment on having a car.  One of the advantages of the hotel is the nearby excellent restaurants where we can walk to along with the port area facilities to include Ports O' Call village, Cabrillo Marine Aquarium and other tourist attractions.  There is a free waterfront Trolley running along the harbor.  

Edited by satxdiver
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Stay in Long Beach, and uber it to the port in the morning. No reason to stay near the airport. The Westin in Long Beach is lovely.

I agree. We have used the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree several times.

We don't care for either one and now stay in Long Beach. 

Lots of great options there with lodging and meals.

It is a 15 minute ride to the pier.

Took an Uber for about $38 to the Crowne Plaza 3 weeks ago from LAX.  I think a taxi goes for over $60.  Good nearby restaurants include Baramee for Thai, Happy Diner for breakfast, San Pedro Brewing Co for roadhousevand good beer and a great wine store 4 blocks away in Off The Vine.

Edited by hobbyfarmer2
Extra
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, southerngoose said:

I will fly into LAX the evening before the cruise departs.   I'm staying overnight at an airport hotel, since I'm arriving after dark.   What would be the best way to get to the port?   Should I try to get transport from the hotel or go back to the airport and try to get transport from there?   

I strongly advise going to San Pedro or Long Beach as soon as you arrive at LAX.  By spending the night at the airport, you run the highly likely risk of getting stuck in one of LA's infamous traffic jams between the hotel and the pier.  At least staying in San Pedro or Long Beach the night before, you are already at the port when you wake up.  Super Shuttle will take you to just about any hotel.  Google them and make a reservation.  Enjoy your  trip!

• Like 1

Last May (and on previous trips) we stayed near LAX (a late night arrival).  We reserved online at a site that chose the hotel for us--it was 4* and very nice including free shuttle from LAX. 

We had made arrangements to be picked up at 10 a.m. the morning of the cruise by Karmel Shuttle.

We chose a "shared van" and we were the only passengers.  The cost was about $45 including tip.

for our total of 2 people.  The driver was prompt, drove carefully, and was friendly.  

Edited by nojoke
wrong word

22 minutes ago, nojoke said:

Last May (and on previous trips) we stayed near LAX (a late night arrival).  We reserved online at a site that chose the hotel for us--it was 4* and very nice including free shuttle from LAX. 

We had made arrangements to be picked up at 10 a.m. the morning of the cruise by Karmel Shuttle.

We chose a "shared van" and we were the only passengers.  The cost was about $45 including tip.

for our total of 2 people.  The driver was prompt, drove carefully, and was friendly.  

How did you arrange for Karmel Shuttle?   I went to their site and it cost $140 for the shared van and only picks up at LAX.   Did you use a different website or did you arrange it through the hotel?

3 minutes ago, southerngoose said:

How did you arrange for Karmel Shuttle?   I went to their site and it cost $140 for the shared van and only picks up at LAX.   Did you use a different website or did you arrange it through the hotel?

I am curious too.

A cab is $65.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, ccc07ccc said:

Does anyone know how/ where Uber or Lyft can pick one up at LAX? Are they allowed to pick up at arrival areas of various airlines?

Yes in a specific area.

Signs will direct you to the Uber/Lyft pickup area on the upper level from baggage claim.

After booking the app will prompt you to the PU area as well.

We just used Mid WilShuttle from San Pedro to LAX and they were great!  The co we had booked with cancelled last minute and Mid Wil were able to schedule something for us and the communication and service was outstanding.  We will use them next year for LAX to our hotel etc