Sailing with a pacemaker

TupeloHoney

I have some oddly specific questions, but perhaps someone has some experience?

My 7 year old daughter has a pacemaker.  Unfortunately she is part of the Medtronic dual chamber recall.  This means it's highly unlikely, but it is possible that her pacemaker could experience some hiccups.  We met with her cardiologist Friday and talked through everything and we're good to go for now until there is a software update.  

Her cardiologist approved the cruise (though really tried to talk us into taking her with us - surely insurance would pay for her own personal cardiologist to travel with and monitor her? 😉 ), and just wanted us to bring her carelink device so if we have any concerns we can send info to the cardiologist.  This will be easy enough to do in port with our cellphones.  But what do you do if you need to make a phone call to the States while at sea?  Can you make a cell call and just pay through the nose?  That's fine if we do - I'm willing to pay it!  Or is there another option?  I've never made a phone call while on a cruise.

Also - does anyone know how equipped the medical facility on ship is to deal with pacemaker issues?  I assume there are lots of people who sail with pacemakers.  My husband was guessing they would even have a machine on board that adjusts pacemakers - but I'm thinking that's unlikely.  

And then finally, we'll be on Regal, which uses medallions.  I've done some reading on here, and it sounds like she can use the medallion, but probably shouldn't wear it on a lanyard around her neck - near or over the pacemaker.  Anyone know if they have kids' sized wristbands for the medallions and how expensive they are?  Because if I have to buy one for her, her jealous older brother is going to want one too!  

I'm really not worried about traveling with her under the recall - btw.  Her cardiologist was fine with it because of the type of problems the pacemakers are potentially having and my daughter's particular condition.  I'm just gathering information, because that's what good heart parents do!  

Thanks!

They probably do not have equipment onboard to read or adjust pacemakers.  Just to many different types and manufactures of pacemakers.  Each pacemaker manufacturer uses their own system and even if they did doubt they would make adjustments.  They are not cardiologists.

I would contact Fleet Medical. I believe this is still their number:

Fleet Medical Office at (661)753-2680

I know when we had to deal with the ship's doctor - he was previously an ER doctor which worked out well for our situation. 

Heck - I would be tempted to buy a ticket for the heart doctor. Seems like cheap insurance if something would happen! Sorry your little girl has to deal with this.

Edited by Coral

Think of the medical department as a basically equipped ER. If the doc recognizes an issue is "above their paygrade" they will make a determination as to whether or not the patient needs to get to a real hospital ASAP, and if necessary arrange for an evac.

32 minutes ago, Coral said:

Heck - I would be tempted to buy a ticket for the heart doctor. Seems like cheap insurance if something would happen! Sorry your little girl has to deal with this.

The ticket would be cheap the cost of a cardiac doctor on a cruise and the disruption to her schedule etc would be another story.

Thanks all!  We did buy the expensive trip insurance that would cover an evacuation!  But i'm not particularly worried about the situation.  We have traveled with her many times with no problems.  And this recall issue with the pacemaker doesn't put her in any real danger.  

I would also assume if push comes to shove the medical facility has a phone line we could use for her carelink transmission at sea.  It'd probably cost us $500 to use it mind you, but it'd be worth it!

Her cardiologist really tried hard to get us to bring her with us on our European cruise last spring!  😉  Mostly she was just teasing though, I doubt she would actually come if we seriously offered to pay her way.  As you say - she's got a lot of patients and responsibilities, and while she does get vacation, hanging with us is probably not how she'd want to spend it.  Though she is a beautiful young woman, maybe she would meet someone on the trip?  lol

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TupeloHoney said:

Thanks all!  We did buy the expensive trip insurance that would cover an evacuation!  But i'm not particularly worried about the situation.  We have traveled with her many times with no problems.  And this recall issue with the pacemaker doesn't put her in any real danger.  

I would also assume if push comes to shove the medical facility has a phone line we could use for her carelink transmission at sea.  It'd probably cost us $500 to use it mind you, but it'd be worth it!

Her cardiologist really tried hard to get us to bring her with us on our European cruise last spring!  😉  Mostly she was just teasing though, I doubt she would actually come if we seriously offered to pay her way.  As you say - she's got a lot of patients and responsibilities, and while she does get vacation, hanging with us is probably not how she'd want to spend it.  Though she is a beautiful young woman, maybe she would meet someone on the trip?  lol

Enjoy your cruise!

14 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

We were on  Regal 1/20.  The check in lady told me that the medallions have a magnet in them. I did not expect to  hear that .  So I would check this info out.

I so wish they would have gone with facial recognition technology. 

I am going to try to answer some parts of your questions from the possibly unique position of being both a physician (retired) and of having a dual chamber Medtronic ICD, second version.  My ICD predates the installation window of the Medtronic recall so I am not directly affected. That being said I have cruised multiple times with my ICD without issue.  Of course your daughters indication for her Pacemaker may be quite different than mine, which is complete heart block with HCM.  Reading the recall I would suspect that her cardiologist has set her device to a non- susceptible mode if that mode will work for her condition.  I generally let Medtronics know when I am on a cruise because my current Carelink autotransmits and that mode would not work well on the cruise.  I suggest you speak with Medtronics directly as regards to how easy transmission would be from either the ship or a shore based phone line.

With respect to ships medical facilities the best comparison might be a well equipped acute care clinic rather than a full service hospital ER.  I have not posed the question while on board but my knowledge of pacemaker technology  would have me agree with you rather than your husband regarding the ability to specifically adjust a pacemaker.  The physicians on Princess tend to be English trained, that includes places like S Africa , etc with backgrounds in ER or Acute Care so that they can deal with a variety of general medical problems which they can either treat or stabilize until reaching port.  As a practical matter that would make the bulk of their experience with adults so I do not know their pediatric backgrounds and I’m sure that varies greatly.

My biggest question for Princess with regard to your daughter would relate to the aspects of Medallion technology not only with regards to the Medallion itself but also to how the Medallion system operates and if there were any potential system to pacemaker interactions.  I have not yet sailed on a Medallion cruise so that issue has never arisen for me.  For example in spite of signs or local warnings I walk through metal detectors because extensive reading and the advice of both my cardiologist and electrophysiologist say there is no issue.  I am unable to find any definitive info about the Medallion technology but you might try to cross link Princess medical with Medtronics to see what they can come up with.

It sounds like you are being vigilant in collecting info, I think your cardiologist is on top of things and you should have a great cruise.  I apologize to you and others on this thread for my verbosity.

However I must add that I am a retired Pediatrician and I always tried to get my patients to take me with them on interesting vacations but was never successful either.

• Like 4

The medallion technology had me a bit nervous for my dh. My son, (electrical engineer), and dh have both convinced me the technology is safe. Supposedly the worst would be a 'hiccup' not an entire shut down of the device, and even that would be unlikely. That said, you are correct, keep it away from the pacemaker, not just on her, but if you are holding or hugging her, be aware of your own medallion. I kept picturing this thing in my head of giving dh a hug while wearing my medallion. Ugh.

Also, just as in the the detectors at store entrances, one should not 'hang around' the receivers around the ship. Again, they don't put out a lot of interference, but they have a minute potential for 'hiccups' type of problem. Even dh's employee card that lets him in at work has a chip. The doc told him the same thing, keep it out of the breast pocket and in the pants pocket.

Personally, I wish they had not introduced this whole medallion thing, but given the number of pacemakers on any given ship,  one must hope they have done their homework and it is all safe.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wheezedr said:

I am going to try to answer some parts of your questions from the possibly unique position of being both a physician (retired) and of having a dual chamber Medtronic ICD, second version.  My ICD predates the installation window of the Medtronic recall so I am not directly affected. That being said I have cruised multiple times with my ICD without issue.  Of course your daughters indication for her Pacemaker may be quite different than mine, which is complete heart block with HCM.  Reading the recall I would suspect that her cardiologist has set her device to a non- susceptible mode if that mode will work for her condition.  I generally let Medtronics know when I am on a cruise because my current Carelink autotransmits and that mode would not work well on the cruise.  I suggest you speak with Medtronics directly as regards to how easy transmission would be from either the ship or a shore based phone line.

With respect to ships medical facilities the best comparison might be a well equipped acute care clinic rather than a full service hospital ER.  I have not posed the question while on board but my knowledge of pacemaker technology  would have me agree with you rather than your husband regarding the ability to specifically adjust a pacemaker.  The physicians on Princess tend to be English trained, that includes places like S Africa , etc with backgrounds in ER or Acute Care so that they can deal with a variety of general medical problems which they can either treat or stabilize until reaching port.  As a practical matter that would make the bulk of their experience with adults so I do not know their pediatric backgrounds and I’m sure that varies greatly.

My biggest question for Princess with regard to your daughter would relate to the aspects of Medallion technology not only with regards to the Medallion itself but also to how the Medallion system operates and if there were any potential system to pacemaker interactions.  I have not yet sailed on a Medallion cruise so that issue has never arisen for me.  For example in spite of signs or local warnings I walk through metal detectors because extensive reading and the advice of both my cardiologist and electrophysiologist say there is no issue.  I am unable to find any definitive info about the Medallion technology but you might try to cross link Princess medical with Medtronics to see what they can come up with.

It sounds like you are being vigilant in collecting info, I think your cardiologist is on top of things and you should have a great cruise.  I apologize to you and others on this thread for my verbosity.

However I must add that I am a retired Pediatrician and I always tried to get my patients to take me with them on interesting vacations but was never successful either.

Thank you!  This is helpful.  Fortunately the Medtronic rep was in the room when we were at her appointment on Friday, so she also cleared her to travel and thought the Carelink would work fine.  We already have the one that we use over a cellular connection as we don't have a landline at home.

Fortunately she does have an escape rhythm!

• Like 2

I personally would have her just not use the medallion to be safe and just use a regular key card. 

Yes, you can make calls from your cell phone while at sea. Yes, it’d be exhorbitant, but you’re prepared for that. Sometimes when you’re close to land, your cell phone will pick up a regular cell network, but most of the time, it’d be the sea cell system (can’t remember the name, maybe MTN or Cellular at Sea), which is the expensive one. 

Worst case, you can use your stateroom phone to make a call also at an exhorbitant price, but as you said, worth it in your case. 

Wishing you a fabulous, healthy, safe vacation!

• Like 1

I have been looking into the technology of the medallion because I also have a Medtronic pacemaker.   I read that the medallion is very similar if not the same technology as the wristbands used at Disney.  After some research I personally feel the technology is safe and don't have a problem using it.  I would keep the medallion away from my pacemaker just to be safe, but then again I walk through metal detectors. 

As far as using your cell phone on the ship.  I haven't sent a Carelink from my cell on the ship but I call home using my cell as it's cheaper than using the cabin phone.  I can't remember the exact cost, but I remember it wasn't near as expensive as I thought it would be.  You can always contact your cell phone provider before you leave and get the per minute cost.  Also make sure you turn off your data so you don't get those extra charges added on while you are using your phone.  

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!  😊

Edited by rnff2
Spelling

On 2/3/2019 at 8:50 PM, geocruiser said:

We were on  Regal 1/20.  The check in lady told me that the medallions have a magnet in them. I did not expect to  hear that .  So I would check this info out.

I doubt this is correct.

All that is in a Medallion is technology for communication with the Intranet and other digital devices such as what recognizes your door can be unlocked as you approach it. If the OP is not worried about using a cell phone, then the OP should not worry about using a Medallion.

14 hours ago, caribill said:

I doubt this is correct.

All that is in a Medallion is technology for communication with the Intranet and other digital devices such as what recognizes your door can be unlocked as you approach it. If the OP is not worried about using a cell phone, then the OP should not worry about using a Medallion.

All I know is what I was told to me at check in.  Why she would tell me this if it was not true, I don't know.  It is not the OP who has a medical condition, but a child traveling with them.  A good solution is for their Dr. to decide after they know all the info.

I posted this earlier but it got deleted - maybe I referenced the wrong source. The person who designed this for CCL/Princess came from Disney and started their wristband solution. It wouldn't surprise me if it was similar technology. Check with the doctor onboard for definitive answers.