Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

Just FYI for everyone, If you email to this address jswartz@princesscruises.com  it actually goes to customer relations.  I tried it about 2 weeks before my cruise, with a disappointing outcome,  I was called on the phone in response to my email.  The final answer being, "ask the room steward when you arrive"  Yeah, right!   I did and the response from him was there is NO POSSIBILITY to get a barrel chair, they are GONE period.  I too am looking to probably "jump ship" from Princess if I can find itineraries I like.  I don't feel valued as a customer at all anymore.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

jswartz@princesscruises.com

Remove the "c".

Oops, my bad.

Thanks. I did resend to Ms Swartz and Customer Relations and it appears it went through this time. Although if the above email is correct, they both went to the same place. 
Looking at alternatives to our 2020 Australia cruise. To me, recent changes such as the elimination of the BOGO+1 afternoon Happy Hour and now removal of chairs are a slap in the face to loyal customers. 

Edited by TriumphGuy

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Sounds lovely but obviously you are comparing apples to oranges. 

It appears that Princess was on the verge of losing you anyway.  If the chair was returned to the balcony and ocean view cabins would you suddenly change your mind and stay with Princess?  I doubt it so from a marketing perspective they are losing you to a premium line that they can't and don't compete with.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Viking Ocean cruise!

Don't agree that this is apples to oranges.  The two cruise companies just have different business models.  Princess keeps the base published price low and then expects to make up the difference with on board spending and other charges.  Viking includes most of these expenses in the base price.  The difference is not as great as many think.  I looked at 10 day Caribbean cruises in December 2019 on the Crown Princess and the Viking Sea.  The price for the Viking Sea is $3,199 pp or $320 per day.  The price for the Crown Princess is $1,712 pp.  Add to that taxes and port fees (included in the Viking price) and it comes to $1,859 pp or $186 per day.  To that I looked at what we would normally spend.  Your mileage may vary.

Drinks - we usually have a couple during the day and about 4 during the evening and dinner.  I added 6 drinks at around $8 for a total of about $50 per day.

Tours - The included Viking tours are usually half day overview tours.  These tours on Princess run from $60 to $90. Assuming only going on them in half the port, I added $35 per day for tours.

Specialty Restaurants - On a 10 day cruise we would probably go twice.  That comes to about $60 pp so I added $6 per day.

Water and soft drinks - I added $5 per day.

In cabin coffee maker - I added $4 a day for in cabin brewed coffee.  The convenience can not be priced.

All these charges (some call them nickel and diming) come to around $100 per day.  Add that to the $186 per day brings the Crown Princess cost to $286 per day.  The difference is a net $34 per day.  I believe well worth it.

This is very conservative since I did not add in any cost for internet since we are Princess elite and did not add in any cost for the unlimited free use of the spa.

As to your other point.  Yes, as I stated in my email, this is just one of many changes that are leading us away from Princess.  Not sure if is the final straw but we were definitely leaning away even before this change.  To me, it just reflects the overall attitude of Princess Corporate of cut whatever they can.  On board staff remains wonderful.

Edited by mreasier
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 9:21 PM, TriumphGuy said:

Never even considered room service because no place to sit other than the balcony. We did still have the table though, just no chair. Crown February 5-15, 2019.

It is sad to consider leaving Princess. Giving up the Elite perks and the innovative itineraries is difficult. Lack of seating on a long sea journey tips the scales in favor of several other cruise lines. Seating is "priceless".

18 minutes ago, TanglewoodTootsie said:

For those of you who are e-mailing J Swartz, try jswartz@princess.com.  Leave out the cruises.  Their website is princess.com.  I sent a message this way yesterday and it did not bounce back.  Haven't received a response yet, but will let you know.

I used jswartz@princesscruises.com and got a phone call from corporate customer relations in about 2 hours.

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

It appears that Princess was on the verge of losing you anyway.  If the chair was returned to the balcony and ocean view cabins would you suddenly change your mind and stay with Princess?  I doubt it so from a marketing perspective they are losing you to a premium line that they can't and don't compete with.

I won't speak for other folks.   For myself, if Princess would provide a comfortable, decent chair in an inside cabin at a similar price, then yes, I would reconsider going Princess in the future.   My deal is...I have learned to enjoy cruising to "get away".   Yes, that means "get away" from loudness, crowds etc.   I can stay home if I want to be surrounded by people.   I want to be able to curl up on a chair with my knitting and my audio books/tv/movies and be able to drop them, run to the bathroom and come back without fear that my things will be gone upon return.    I want to also have someone else cook and clean AND have some nice evening entertainment (magic, shows, comedian etc).    Some ports are a bonus.

Before anyone says "Oh, you should just stay home".   I actually did!   I said "I have my own tv, internet, comfortable chair, knitting etc and I can buy take out if I want someone else to cook and I can buy exercise classes or other classes if I want that too and do it for less than the cost of a spa or cruise".   Ok...if that's what the cruise line wants, fine, remove any reason why I should cruise and I'll staycation.  But I would like to believe that I can still do a few trips where cruising is "critical" to the experience...like Alaska and Panama Canal.     After that, if the cruise industry wants to make my life miserable, fine, I'll stay home and laugh all the way to the bank.    I'm not expecting fancy food...I just want edible food and a comfortable chair.   I'll even take cheesy entertainment, edible food and a comfortable chair.    Flushing toilets are a huge plus along with a decent bed.   Not a Four Season's experience bed...just decent.   The chair...it's just the last straw...no, I can't survive without a comfortable chair in a quiet location.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, southerngoose said:

I won't speak for other folks.   For myself, if Princess would provide a comfortable, decent chair in an inside cabin at a similar price, then yes, I would reconsider going Princess in the future.   My deal is...I have learned to enjoy cruising to "get away".   Yes, that means "get away" from loudness, crowds etc.   I can stay home if I want to be surrounded by people.   I want to be able to curl up on a chair with my knitting and my audio books/tv/movies and be able to drop them, run to the bathroom and come back without fear that my things will be gone upon return.    I want to also have someone else cook and clean AND have some nice evening entertainment (magic, shows, comedian etc).    Some ports are a bonus.

Before anyone says "Oh, you should just stay home".   I actually did!   I said "I have my own tv, internet, comfortable chair, knitting etc and I can buy take out if I want someone else to cook and I can buy exercise classes or other classes if I want that too and do it for less than the cost of a spa or cruise".   Ok...if that's what the cruise line wants, fine, remove any reason why I should cruise and I'll staycation.  But I would like to believe that I can still do a few trips where cruising is "critical" to the experience...like Alaska and Panama Canal.     After that, if the cruise industry wants to make my life miserable, fine, I'll stay home and laugh all the way to the bank.    I'm not expecting fancy food...I just want edible food and a comfortable chair.   I'll even take cheesy entertainment, edible food and a comfortable chair.    Flushing toilets are a huge plus along with a decent bed.   Not a Four Season's experience bed...just decent.   The chair...it's just the last straw...no, I can't survive without a comfortable chair in a quiet location.

YES, YES, YES!  I expect my cruise ship cabin to be as comfortable as any other part of the ship!

At home, I do NOT sit on my bed to eat or read; I sit on my sofa or arm chair.  Same for a hotel room. Why should I expect/get less comfort on my favorite cruise ship -- where I'm paying hundreds/thousands of dollars for the experience (single supplement here)?

A comfortable chair seems a small thing to ask.

• Like 6

We need two chairs in our cabin.  No way around it.  Princess says "come back new".  My back would be in bad shape without a chair to sit on.  What is Princess thinking?

I am hoping that Princess will rethink this.  Chairs are basic in any room in a hotel or a cruise cabin.  I love princess, but this is really important for us to have two chairs. 

• Like 3

We get room service for breakfast every morning. I don't want to eat in bed. And if they take that little table away, the tray will be on the floor. Not nice. We always get a balcony cabin and take longer cruises.I don't want to pay for a mini suite where all the extra I get is a small loveseat which would be standard fixture in all the other cruise lines for a balcony. Princess better evaluate their decision especially with those new ships coming on board.  I will send the email to Jan swartz as well.

• Like 3

On 2/18/2019 at 9:21 PM, TriumphGuy said:

Never even considered room service because no place to sit other than the balcony. We did still have the table though, just no chair. Crown February 5-15, 2019.

I have heard of "having the rug pulled out from under you" but never a chair! Princess we are not "feeling the love".

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TanglewoodTootsie said:

For those of you who are e-mailing J Swartz, try jswartz@princess.com.  Leave out the cruises.  Their website is princess.com.  I sent a message this way yesterday and it did not bounce back.  Haven't received a response yet, but will let you know.

The email is princesscruises.com

Has nothing to do with the Princess website.

I don't want the chair in my cabin but I do want the table! I also support those people who want the chair! Went through a very bad period in life where I could not get out of a chair that had no arms. :( went to a friends funeral and paced like and idiot to scared to sit because I could not get up on my own! Also scared to stand still legs just were not working! They have to take into consideration peoples needs not just wants!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

I sent the following email 2 days ago

To:

jswartz@princesscruises.com

Feb 21 at 1:38 PM

I read cruise critic to keep up with recent cruise news.  I am very worried about your decision to remove the barrel chairs from the cabins.  We are Platinum and have enjoyed our Princess cruises.  We are booked on the Regal leaving Fort Lauderdale on April 14, 2019.  Will we find 2 chairs in our standard balcony cabin?  We are in our early 80s and think perhaps this decision was made by younger folks who have not yet learned that old backs need the support of a chair, tho sitting on the side of your wonderful beds seems like a good idea.  Also, when experiencing a temporary injury an older person may need the support of the barrel chair sides in order to rise or sit.  We do enjoy our sea days out and about on the ship, but one also needs the quiet "down" time offered by the cabin.  This may not be so important to cruisers who are on a port intensive cruise, but is very important on a transatlantic cruise.  Please reconsider the new plan and return the chairs.  Thank you for your consideration.

Today I received a very nice return phone call and I was told they are evaluating the emails and will consider them.  However, most of the chairs have been removed from balcony and outside cabins on the Regal.  A few will remain on the ship and can be requested.  The policy for now is only one chair per cabin but it does sound like it is worth sending in our requests for two.  I do think it is important for each of us to contact them directly.

Thank you to those who started this thread.  Knowledge is power (at least sometimes).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mustgo said:

...The policy for now is only one chair per cabin but it does sound like it is worth sending in our requests for two. 

Spoke with a rep yesterday on the phone. I was told request had to be done AFTER embarkation. Rep was not impressed with my argument about pax boarding by deck causing delays.

31 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

Spoke with a rep yesterday on the phone. I was told request had to be done AFTER embarkation. Rep was not impressed with my argument about pax boarding by deck causing delays.

So now we have to COMPETE to get a chair? Sorry, ain't happening. I'll just find another cruise line.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2019 at 1:33 PM, AJs Grandpa said:

Just boarded the Grand. Chair and table are in our Caribe deck balcony cabin. 

Good to hear that.  Hopefully they will be on the Baja deck also when we take a holiday cruise on the Grand.

42 minutes ago, TriumphGuy said:

So now we have to COMPETE to get a chair? Sorry, ain't happening. I'll just find another cruise line.

I agree.  We need two chairs in our cabin.  I hate to say this but, if they stick with the one chair per cabin, my money and bad back will go to another cruise line.  I love Princess, but I have status on other lines too, so I will not be loosing much by sailing a different line. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

I agree.  We need two chairs in our cabin.  I hate to say this but, if they stick with the one chair per cabin, my money and bad back will go to another cruise line.  I love Princess, but I have status on other lines too, so I will not be loosing much by sailing a different line. 

Jswartz@princesscruises.com

My email:

Ms Swartz,

While we spend a lot of time outside of our cabin while on a cruise, we do enjoying being able to sit on a chair when we are in the cabin.  It’s my understanding that the barrel chair is being removed from the cabins.  This is not a good idea.  While we are in the cabin, my wife and I would prefer to sit in a chair rather than on the bed.  Just more comfortable for us. 

We are going on our dream cruise in December.  Please help make it more enjoyable by allowing my wife and I to sit in chairs while in the cabin.

Thank you