Cruising to Antarctica and South America with many photos

scubacruiserx2

31 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Superb pic of the thrush and flowers.

Love the pic of DW peeking around the tree. That one should be framed and on display.

Thank you , that's usually a flattering angle for photos but it also helps to have a pretty wife like Pat to photograph . :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, Walt fan said:

You do have a beautiful wife!! Great pics of the rainforest, especially the bird!!  I think the only rain forest I have been to is in San Juan, which was amazing.  Again, the lunch looked yummy.   

This was our second visit here and both of the meals were delicious . Do you care to see another meal ?

In the description of our tour on the internet it lists a "picnic lunch" as part of the tour. It would be next on the agenda. When I hear the expression "picnic lunch" it conjures up a certain vision in my brain. That of sandwiches being eaten, while sitting on a blanket on the ground at the park , complete with ants running around. Our guide told us that that we would be stopping at a friend's house instead. It was cool and beginning to rain so it seemed like a good idea. The "picnic" was carefully and expertly prepared using home grown, ingredients. Salad , salsa , potatoes , homemade empanadas and desert comprised the picnic , now turned feast.

L1090376-001_zpsbdf1ca95.jpg

The potatoes were unlike any that I have seen or eaten before. It was if I had never tasted a potato before.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potatoes_of_Chilo%C3%A9

There was a homemade drink made of apple and Chilean Rubarb that was delicious . There were several different types of empanadas. Some had homemade goat cheese that I really liked. I saw my wife's eyes light up when she found out that some contained razor clams - a taste that she had acquired on our previous trip to Chile. Feeling stuffed , it was time for desert .

L1090382-001_zpse2efec34.jpg

We had been seated under a large covered porch and next to where I was seated stood this strange tree. I asked the guide what the tree was called and he said " Chilean pine". I found out later that it is also called Araucaria or "monkey puzzle tree".

IMG_0643-003_zpse3e6b9f6.jpg

Although I must admit that I'm puzzled why it is called this. Finally , I would like to thank my wife for allowing me to use her photos of the food.

• Like 2

Chiloe is known for it's wooden churches many designated UNESCO World Heritage Sites .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_Chiloé

The church of Chonchi

IMG_7368_zpsr1q9bg2m.jpg

IMG_7369_zpsxs4r6hjk.jpg

IMG_0651-001_zpsa75a0f2d.jpg

IMG_7388_zpskddpplne.jpg

We also visited it's adjacent graveyard

IMG_7365_zpsm6zlnkio.jpg

IMG_7358_zpsqw6sge6g.jpg

We would later visit a more famous one in BA .

• Like 2

On the way back to port we saw another monkey puzzle tree 

IMG_9105_zpsd5jjjshl.jpg

Saying good bye to our guides

DSC06168_zpslwnilocl.jpg

We couldn't believe how close this guy got to the ship

IMG_9120_zpss7l0bte4.jpg

It was sunny and nice as we left Castro

IMG_9124_zpsrxnncmh3.jpg

We saw a number of mussel farms along the way

IMG_9167%201_zps955zfiqx.jpg

IMG_9154_zps5ncg8c9j.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dinner is served (in our cabin )

Chicken Gumbo Soup

DSC03987_zpsxl8kjzaz.jpg

Salmon

DSC03992_zpsorcjqqgy.jpg

Yankee Pot Roast

DSC03991_zpsto5lukhz.jpg

This was our 3rd cruise to South America but our first balcony . With the easy access to the outdoors we could see and photograph a lot things that we may have missed before . Thus we ate a lot of meals in our cabin  .

An Albatross looking for dinner

IMG_9585_zpsxxgvtsjs.jpg

IMG_9580_zpsal7jwtiu.jpg

• Like 2

Your last port stop looks so amazing; a lot of color every where.  That cemetery was really unique.  Did you have a private tour with your guides?  

I love my balconies.

Looking forward to more to add to my weekend list of things to do!

30 minutes ago, Walt fan said:

Your last port stop looks so amazing; a lot of color every where.  That cemetery was really unique.  Did you have a private tour with your guides?  

I love my balconies.

Looking forward to more to add to my weekend list of things to do!

There were many bright colors like in the Caribbean and we had good light . A group of about 10 people from CC went together on the next 2 tours with Top Private Tours . 

We really liked our balcony . It was so nice to have food and a private bathroom only a couple of steps away .

• Like 1

Puerto Chacabuco sits in a pretty area , but there's not much to do there

IMG_9505%201_zps1q3d5gti.jpg

And so we found ourselves on a road trip with the group from the previous day . The first stop was the Virgin Falls

IMG_9335_zpsvuo7k0en.jpg

IMG_9341_zpspjl8lpnb.jpg

IMG_9322_zpsicdukvvf.jpg

Here's a video clip :

As you can see and hear - it was quite windy .

IMG_9347_zpsxvjbrndo.jpg

• Like 2